Gopher

What summer 2016 box office run gave you hope?

Just now, NuTella Lover of Sky Beams said:

I might see it next week. Depends on time and what else I feel like catching in theaters (BM still feels like something I wouldn't lose much seeing on VOD/rental).

When I saw it the audience was cracking up so much that there were several points where you could barely hear the dialogue. See it with an audience.

Also, there's a really nice bit in the end credits that certainly serves as a much better salute to Mother's Day than that atrocity that will sadly go down as Garry Marshall's final movie.

3 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Studios have never done better movies than today.

Your whole point is moot and seeded in your very peculiar tastes.

I agree. I don't get the argument that this summer has been rough. In fact, I have heard the same argument after every summer for the past 3 summers. This summer has given us 3 massive blockbusters that all rank among the top 200 domestic grossing films of all-time (adjusted) in Captain America: Civil War, Finding Dory and The Secret Life of Pets. This summer has been quite successful.

The only one / two combo I got of both enjoyment and BO was Finding Dory, but Disney succeeding? Another day that ends in -y, not too earth shattering.

So Angry Birds and SLOP doing so well would probably get my vote. It's not a Dreamworks / Disney / Pixar game anymore - the more people to get in here and shake it up, the better. Even if now they're both getting sequels so maybe Greenlights Cometh Before A Fall. 

• Like 1

This summer was a catastrophe, I'm glad Civil War managed to do over $400m domestically and $1.15b ww.  I wish Star Trek would have made the money it deserved, and Suicide Sqaud should have bombed. Pete's Dragon deserved more too. Yeah like literally Civil War was the only film I saw that I was happy about it's box office take this summer.

14 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Definitely the most surprising box office run of summer for sure.

Everyone expected it to bomb hard, instead it will earn 350M+ WW which may actually be higher than Star Trek Beyond.

Not everyone, there was a group of people in the summer game who picked it in the top 15 -- and those who did had pretty good predictions for it. I didn't have it in the top 15 but I thought it had a decent enough chance. (In fact, I slightly over-estimated its OS grosses because I had it doing 370-380 WW).

4 hours ago, filmlover said:

When I saw it the audience was cracking up so much that there were several points where you could barely hear the dialogue. See it with an audience.

NuTella is the type of person that is all like "Bad Moms, movie well received with good reviews and great WOM? Nah I will see it in VOD" but looks at a fucking Mechanic sequel and says "I am gonna see this OD, totally worth it.".

Fuck NuTella. 

• Like 1