kayumanggi

DHD Friday (02/03): 8.65 CHRONICLE | 8.30 M TWIB

http://www.deadline....-big-miracle-3/

FRIDAY 10 PM, 2ND UPDATE: It’s another bigger-than-predicted box office this Super Bowl weekend with the movie studios focused on counterprogramming the game. Many of my sources say CBS Films’ The Woman In Black is looking to edge Fox’s Chronicle for No. 1 this weekend with $8.8M vs $8.6M respectively Friday and $20M by Monday. Trust me, no one in Hollywood projected either movie would get near $20M so this gives new meaning to the term ‘overperform’. But the town is thrilled that 2012 keeps logging good grosses. The lead for Woman In Black which audiences gave a ‘B-’ CinemaScore has shifted back and forth numerous times in the past hours. ButChronicle with its ‘B’ CinemaScore will lose guys on Sunday so CBS Films should overtake. Starring Harry Potter himself, Daniel Radcliffe, gal-oriented Woman In Black is a low-cost/high-reward bonanza, especially because the marketing spend was kept to a $14M bare minimum. The weekend’s biggest budget debut is Universal’s Big Miracle which is No. 4 heading for $2.3M Friday and $8M weekend with good word-of-mouth from its ‘A-’ CinemaScore. Last week’s big winner, Open Road’s The Grey is #3 with a solid -52% hold. Full analysis in the morning.

1. The Woman in Black (CBS Films) NEW [2,855 Theaters]

Est Friday $8.8M, Est Weekend $20M

2. Chronicle (Fox) NEW [2,907 Theaters]

Est Friday $8.6M, Est Weekend $20M

3. The Grey (Open Road) Week 2 [3,207 Theaters]

Est Friday $3.1M (-52%), Est Weekend $9M, Est Cume $34.2M

4. Big Miracle (Universal) NEW [2,129 Theaters]

Est Friday $2.3M, Est Weekend $8M

5. Underworld Awakening (Sony) Week 3 [2,636 Theaters]

Est Friday $1.8M (-46%), Est Weekend $6M, Est Cume $54.7M

6. One For The Money (Lionsgate) Week 2 [2,737 Theaters]

Est Friday $1.7M (-58%), Est Weekend $4.7M, Est Cume $19.1M

7.Red Tails (LucasFilm/Fox) Week 3 [2,347 Theaters]

Est Friday $1.5M, Est Weekend $4.6M, Est Cume $40.8M

8. Man On A Ledge (Summit) Week 2 [2,998 Theaters]

Est Friiday $1.5M (-39%), Est Weekend $4.6M, Est Cume $14.8M

9. The Descendants (Fox Searchlight) Week 12 [2,038 Theaters]

Est Friday $1.3M, Est Weekend $4.5M, Est Cume $65.3M)

10. Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close (Warner Bros) Week 7 [2,505 Theaters]

Est Friday $112M, Est Weekend $4M, Est Cume $26.9M

Edited by kayumanggi

The box office is weird nowadays. How a generic R-rated crime thriller, the umpteenth exorcism film, and the fourth movie in a tired franchise that is STILL aping The Matrix all open bigger than Chronicle is strange, strange, strange. The Grey too, although that one at least looks pretty decent.

Edited by tonytr87

The box office is weird nowadays. How a generic R-rated crime thriller and the umpteenth exorcism film open bigger than Chronicle is strange, strange, strange. The Grey too, although that one at least looks pretty decent.

The box office has always been strange. Edited by lab276

The box office is weird nowadays. How a generic R-rated crime thriller and the umpteenth exorcism film open bigger than Chronicle is strange, strange, strange. The Grey too, although that one at least looks pretty decent.

WIB has nothing to do with exorcisms, and it is not a suprise to see an overhyped Internet fanboy movie disappoint. Edited by rb02

15M-odd seems about right for Chronicle. My prediction was 16M. I think there was only really any hype for this at all on the internet and therefore the opening is expected.

Edited by Magic

WIB has nothing to do with exorcims at all, and it is not a suprise at all to see an overhyped Internet fanboy movie disappoint.

I was referring to The Devil Inside. Overhyped? Where? Here? LMAO...I don't base my expectations on what people on forums think. I base it on the trailers. They were great, the reviews are great, and the movie is close to great. It'll still be a success, I guess I just don't see how the aforementioned films held more appeal on OW.I imagine Radcliffe is helping Woman in Black, and apparently it's not too bad. Edited by tonytr87