kayumanggi

LOVE, SIMON | 03.16.18 | Fox | trailer on page 1

1 hour ago, LonePirate said:

There are millions and millions of straight adults in the US who watched and appreciated Brokeback Mountain ($83M, 2005), The Birdcage ($124M, 1996) and In & Out ($63M, 1997).

All of those movies either had big stars at the time in them (The Birdcage, In & Out) or really captured the zeitgeist (Brokeback Mountain). Doesn't seem fair to put this movie (which has done fine) against those.

11 minutes ago, filmlover said:

All of those movies either had big stars at the time in them (The Birdcage, In & Out) or really captured the zeitgeist (Brokeback Mountain). Doesn't seem fair to put this movie (which has done fine) against those.

Yes, that is a fair point which I will counter by saying that even with 21 years of inflation, Simon will still fall short of In & Out by $20M (or roughly $80M after adjusting for inflation as doubling 1997 grosses is a close approximation of current dollars). Sure, Kevin Kline may still have been enjoying the aura of his Oscar win for A Fish Called Wanda but he wasn't that big of a star. Dave was pretty much his only other hit for which he could be credited as the primary star. Granted, In & Out was more farcical comedy than the romance/coming of age film that Simon is. Then there is the whole societal acceptance shift of the subject matter during the past two decades. 

The lack of a big name (apart from Garner and Duhamel in their minor roles) made the film tougher to woo over audiences. Still, the story and film itself could have been used to sell the film. I firmly believe Fox screwed up the marketing for Simon. This film could have easily grossed between $80-$100M had it been handled properly.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Nick Robinson to Jurassic World might be like Hayden Christensen to Star Wars

Earlier this weekend I had this movie knocked out of my top 3 of the year by A Quiet Place. But I think I'd put it back in the number 3 spot. It was just so endearing and heartwarming, but heartbreaking at the same time.

And it really isn't just gay people supporting the movie. In the entire time it was run at my theatre I saw one gay couple leaving. One. And I'm not gay and I loved the shit out of it. I think there's definitely an audience out there for this, I just wish it had tapped into it a little bit more. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Thematrixfilm said:

awards 2018?

Simon's best chances at awards recognition are probably nominations in the Best Motion Picture-Comedy and Best Actor-Comedy categories at the Golden Globes. Depending on the competition or the Globes doing something weird (like placing a drama like The Martian in the Comedy category), those two nominations should be solid. Wins would be longshots but not impossible if the competition is weak. Alfie's Song or Love Lies might sneak in for Best Song. 

The Globes only has one screenplay category but the Oscars have two so the film could be a dark horse for an Adapted Screenplay Oscar nomination given how Hollywood loves This Is Us and Simon's script has received some praise. One of the songs could surprise and earn an Oscar nomination as well. 

Depending on the end of year competition and the level of support among the acting guild, the film could be a longshot at a SAG Ensemble nomination and maybe Robinson for an Actor nomination but both would be very longshots. The film seems to have a ton of support in the acting community and Robinson has an indie film coming out very soon co-starring alongside Kathy Bates, Felicity Huffman and William H. Macy. Berlanti's deep TV connections and support also help with possible SAG nominations. As far as other guild awards, the screenplay could receive a Writers Guild nomination.

Then you have the various film critics circles and groups. Anything is possible with them, such as some group giving Garner a Best Supporting Actress award. Some of them giving rising star or similar awards and Robinson could possibly win one of those despite his existing body of work.

As I mentioned upthread, if this film had been released in the fall, Fox could easily have built an awards campaign around the film and its chances at being nominated for something would definitely increase. Yet being a modest spring release, the chances of being remembered come awards season in 8 months is a tough hill to climb. I wouldn't expect anything but the two Globes nominations could very well happen. Anything beyond that would be a surprise.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

Simon's best chances at awards recognition are probably nominations in the Best Motion Picture-Comedy and Best Actor-Comedy categories at the Golden Globes. Depending on the competition or the Globes doing something weird (like placing a drama like The Martian in the Comedy category), those two nominations should be solid. Wins would be longshots but not impossible if the competition is weak. Alfie's Song or Love Lies might sneak in for Best Song. 

The Globes only has one screenplay category but the Oscars have two so the film could be a dark horse for an Adapted Screenplay Oscar nomination given how Hollywood loves This Is Us and Simon's script has received some praise. One of the songs could surprise and earn an Oscar nomination as well. 

Depending on the end of year competition and the level of support among the acting guild, the film could be a longshot at a SAG Ensemble nomination and maybe Robinson for an Actor nomination but both would be very longshots. The film seems to have a ton of support in the acting community and Robinson has an indie film coming out very soon co-starring alongside Kathy Bates, Felicity Huffman and William H. Macy. Berlanti's deep TV connections and support also help with possible SAG nominations. As far as other guild awards, the screenplay could receive a Writers Guild nomination.

Then you have the various film critics circles and groups. Anything is possible with them, such as some group giving Garner a Best Supporting Actress award. Some of them giving rising star or similar awards and Robinson could possibly win one of those despite his existing body of work.

As I mentioned upthread, if this film had been released in the fall, Fox could easily have built an awards campaign around the film and its chances at being nominated for something would definitely increase. Yet being a modest spring release, the chances of being remembered come awards season in 8 months is a tough hill to climb. I wouldn't expect anything but the two Globes nominations could very well happen. Anything beyond that would be a surprise.

If the Golden Globes didn't go at all for The Fault in Our Stars, I doubt they would go for this. Of course they also gave nominations to Easy A and The Edge of Seventeen, but those were for their stars (Emma Stone was a rapidly rising star at the time and Hailee Steinfeld was a previous nominee).

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, filmlover said:

If the Golden Globes didn't go at all for The Fault in Our Stars, I doubt they would go for this. Of course they also gave nominations to Easy A and The Edge of Seventeen, but those were for their stars (Emma Stone was a rapidly rising star at the time and Hailee Steinfeld was a previous nominee).

Fault, Easy A and Seventeen did not have the cultural impact and industry precedent like Simon which could play to its advantage. Fault was a much larger box office success and Easy A was a larger grosser as well so that exposure helped them which Simon will not have.

I have no idea what Fox or Fox Searchlight have in the pipeline for the fall and winter. If there is something remotely decent on their schedule, their PR campaigns will back that and Simon will be an afterthought unless the critics surprise us. If they have nothing, Fox might organize a small push for Simon as it will play very well on the DVD and digital screeners the studios send out. It has a strong base of support but that base might not be very large. 

I'm not expecting much apart from the Globes, though.

Edited by LonePirate

Here is another dedicated fan. Black Panther is the only other film this year with such a fiercely loyal and supportive fan base.

The fan base will only grow even larger once it hits home video and streaming in a couple of months. There will be people who have watched it 50 or more times a couple of months after the DVD/Blu Ray arrives.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LonePirate said:

Fault, Easy A and Seventeen did not have the cultural impact and industry precedent like Simon which could play to its advantage. Fault was a much larger box office success and Easy A was a larger grosser as well so that exposure helped them which Simon will not have.

I have no idea what Fox or Fox Searchlight have in the pipeline for the fall and winter. If there is something remotely decent on their schedule, their PR campaigns will back that and Simon will be an afterthought unless the critics surprise us. If they have nothing, Fox might organize a small push for Simon as it will play very well on the DVD and digital screeners the studios send out. It has a strong base of support but that base might not be very large. 

Fox proper alone has Bohemian Rhapsody, Widows, and Ad Astra in the final two months of the year as their prestigious releases of the year so yeah, no hope for this getting an awards season push.

7 hours ago, filmlover said:

Fox proper alone has Bohemian Rhapsody, Widows, and Ad Astra in the final two months of the year as their prestigious releases of the year so yeah, no hope for this getting an awards season push.

I think you’re right on all three.

Bohemian Rhapsody - Biopics of colorful, deceased celebrities are prime Oscar fodder.

Widows - An ensembles drama filled with many big names directed by an Oscar winner is synonymous with Oscar bait.

Ad Astra - If The Shape of Water can claim Oscar gold and The Martian can earn several nominations, then I don’t see why this film couldn't be in the awards season stew. 

12 hours ago, LonePirate said:

Fox and Searchlight have too many movies to campaign for:

AD Astra

Bohemian Rhapsody

Can You Ever Forgive Me?

The Favourite

Isle of Dogs

The Old Man and the Gun

Widows

Bohemian Rhapsody and (probably) CYEFM will be going comedy/musical at the Globes, so Simon will be an afterthought.

22 minutes ago, TombRaider said:

what a fucking loser, sorry. and to boast about it on social media...

Given how you have named yourself after a movie which plenty of people are embarrassed to admit purchasing a single ticket to see, it probably is difficult to comprehend how there are so many people boasting about seeing Simon multiple times. Some people prefer forgettable, empty calorie movies like Tomb Raider. Others prefer an emotionally satisfying meal like Love, Simon. Go enjoy the movies you like and let other people enjoy the movies they like. 

• Like 8
  • ...wtf 1

39 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Fox and Searchlight have too many movies to campaign for:

AD Astra

Bohemian Rhapsody

Can You Ever Forgive Me?

The Favourite

Isle of Dogs

The Old Man and the Gun

Widows

Bohemian Rhapsody and (probably) CYEFM will be going comedy/musical at the Globes, so Simon will be an afterthought.

Bohemian Rhapsody is interesting. Wil it focus more on the band’s performances or Mercury’s personal life? The Doors movie wasn’t anything close to being a musical so who knows about BR, not that it matters for the Globes.

Can You Ever ... is definitely Oscar bait through and through. Yet will it be any good? Can McCarthy sell the change of pace role? 

The Old Man hinges on Redford if it wants to catch anyone’s attention. Will it be another All Is Lost or A Walk in the Woods?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

Given how you have named yourself after a movie which plenty of people are embarrassed to admit purchasing a single ticket to see, it probably is difficult to comprehend how there are so many people boasting about seeing Simon multiple times. Some people prefer forgettable, empty calorie movies like Tomb Raider. Others prefer an emotionally satisfying meal like Love, Simon. Go enjoy the movies you like and let other people enjoy the movies they like. 

Lol why so dramatic? I'm not dissing Love simon, in fact I want to see it. I'm just saying the girl is a loser. I have seen TR in the theatre once, not 15, since I have better things to do with my time/money. Do you get it?

Edited by TombRaider
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, LonePirate said:

Damnnnnnn this was satisfying

• Like 2