kayumanggi

LOVE, SIMON | 03.16.18 | Fox | trailer on page 1

12 hours ago, TombRaider said:

Are you comparing movies that did over 600m dom to this 37m flop? sure, jan!

and i'd understand if it was a gay boy feeling all those emotions but a straight girl, lol. and still, if you watch a movie 15 times in 3 weeks, paying. you probably...are a loser. connection or not

Love, Simon has generated around $19M (going with 50% of grosses overall) in revenue from the US and around $2.2M (40% of grosses overall) internationally. That covers the $17M budget and it will definitely make a healthy profit at the ancillary market.

4 minutes ago, Mike Hunt said:

Love, Simon has generated around $19M (going with 50% of grosses overall) in revenue from the US and around $2.2M (40% of grosses overall) internationally. That covers the $17M budget and it will definitely make a healthy profit at the ancillary market.

Plus it's not out in a lot of markets yet.

4 hours ago, cookie said:

Plus it's not out in a lot of markets yet.

Yeah, in no way is this a flop. People can't expect gay films to break out suddenly, it takes time and normalization, and I will still shout my love for this film from the rooftops not only because of its representation (of the POC community also) but for being a non-stereotypical look at what its like to be a gay man (trust me I'd know XD)

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Mike Hunt said:

Yeah, in no way is this a flop. People can't expect gay films to break out suddenly, it takes time and normalization, and I will still shout my love for this film from the rooftops not only because of its representation (of the POC community also) but for being a non-stereotypical look at what its like to be a gay man (trust me I'd know XD)

I agree that it's a good start. It did well and hopefully the next GOOD film of it's sort does even better.

After a long string of positive reviews primarily from the UK and Australia, Love, Simon has inched up to 93% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Granted, only one new negative review will drop it back down. Still, the large number of positive reviews across multiple regions of the world indicates just how universal and entertaining this film is. It is a nice and unexpected accomplishment from a low-key entry in the rom com genre. 

• Like 1

Theory Based on Anecdotal Obversations.

I took my mother to see this movie.  Her reaction: "It was unrealistic that there was only one out gay kid in the school.  It's 2018.  10% of the population is gay.  There wasn't a gay table in the cafeteria? I feel like they should've made this movie ten years ago."

As weird as this sound, I think she wasn't the only Straight to have this reaction.   I think the movie was too much of a cliche rom-com to break out.  I don't think people are used to seeing LGBTQIA representation this way, so they DON’T see it as radical.

Personally, I didn't know how much I needed this movie.  A mainstream LGBTQIA movie that isn't about SUFFERING.  No one dies.  No one watches their lover die.  No one has AIDS.  There's no graphic hate crime or assault on my screen.  It's not Pedophilia: The Art Movie.  It's a cliche rom-com with a gay teen protagonist.

The characters face complications and angst – coming out in 2017 still is a huge undertaking with monumental stakes.  Yet in the context of this film, we understand that everything will be okay. The genre makes it safe. The audience knows that the homophobic bullies will get their comeuppance. The friends will make up.  The main protagonist will find love.

Yet, people might not see that as important.  Then it just becomes a teen movie, or a rom-com; both of which have been downward trajectories at the box office in recent years -- as we've already discussed.

On 4/12/2018 at 11:40 AM, Gamera said:

Would box office have been different if the movie was "Love, Andrea" and was about lesbians?  The quality and reviews would be the same.

We might know -- There is a sequel about Leah, who is bisexual.  If that ever gets mad it a whole other conversation.

Edited by captainwondyful
Typo.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, captainwondyful said:

Theory Based on Anecdotal Obversations.

I took my mother to see this movie.  Her reaction: "It was unrealistic that there was only one out gay kid in the school.  It's 2018.  10% of the population is gay.  There wasn't a gay table in the cafeteria? I feel like they should've made this movie ten years ago."

As weird as this sound, I think she wasn't the only Straight to have this reaction.   I think the movie was too much of a cliche rom-com to break out.  I don't think people are used to seeing LGBTQIA representation this way, so they see it as radical.

Personally, I didn't know how much I needed this movie.  A mainstream LGBTQIA movie that isn't about SUFFERING.  No one dies.  No one watches their lover die.  No one has AIDS.  There's no graphic hate crime or assault on my screen.  It's not Pedophilia: The Art Movie.  It's a cliche rom-com with a gay teen protagonist.

The characters face complications and angst – coming out in 2017 still is a huge undertaking with monumental stakes.  Yet in the context of this film, we understand that everything will be okay. The genre makes it safe. The audience knows that the homophobic bullies will get their comeuppance. The friends will make up.  The main protagonist will find love.

Yet, people might not see that as important.  Then it just becomes a teen movie, or a rom-com; both of which have been downward trajectories at the box office in recent years -- as we've already discussed.

All of your points here are sound.

Love, Simon is essentially a Disney-fied gay rom com with a few profanities in it. Once the profanities are removed prior to its eventual weekend marathons on the Freeform channel (here in the US), it will be indistinguishable from a Disney movie. That is why the movie connects so well with so many people. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, TombRaider said:

and i'd understand if it was a gay boy feeling all those emotions but a straight girl, lol. and still, if you watch a movie 15 times in 3 weeks, paying. you probably...are a loser. connection or not

$38 million, and counting. On a $17 million production cost. If that ratio is a still flop then only about 10 films a year are not flops.

9 hours ago, Mike Hunt said:

The studio gets back 75%+ of the grosses generated in the early portion of a fim's run.

11 minutes ago, PDC1987 said:

The studio gets back 75%+ of the grosses generated in the early portion of a fim's run.

Wait, what? I've never heard this before. I have heard the general rule of 50% of Domestic, 40% of International and 25% of China.

16 minutes ago, PDC1987 said:

That was kind of true 15 year's ago, it is almost always flat rate now, even Star Wars does not get 75% of is early run.

4 minutes ago, Noctis said:

I haven't seen this yet, but how does it compare to Wallflower in emotion?

This doesn't take anywhere nearly as dark of a turn as The Perks of Being a Wallflower did towards the end but it actually packs a bit of an emotional punch at certain points. Both movies are among the better, more authentic-feeling teenager movies in the last several years.

18 hours ago, Barnack said:

That was kind of true 15 year's ago, it is almost always flat rate now, even Star Wars does not get 75% of is early run.

The studios have it weighted so that they get a larger percentage of the grosses earlier in a film's run, shifting focus to the OW industry wide was not a coincidence. It's literally how it works.

On 4/11/2018 at 3:28 PM, TombRaider said:

Lol someone is a little upset. 

37m for this not a flop. It had small budget. Sweetie, please learn about box office before calling this a flop 

Edited by Dexter of Suburbia
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, PDC1987 said:

The studios have it weighted so that they get a larger percentage of the grosses earlier in a film's run, shifting focus to the OW industry wide was not a coincidence. It's literally how it works.

I calculated the retention rate from the Sony leak of frontloaded movie versus leggy one once, have not seen a difference between the 2 group and heard from many that the system you are describing was abandoned after theater chain closed when it become too franchise/OW heavy.