kayumanggi

LOVE, SIMON | 03.16.18 | Fox | trailer on page 1

2 minutes ago, Hiccup23 said:

Seeing this today at 7pm. Also how are the early screening tickets sales getting included in the film? Like my early screening is selling well with 32/78 tickets sold. Screening was just announced yesterday. 

I believe it gets factored into the first Friday gross for the film.

Edited by CoolEric258

45 minutes ago, Hiccup23 said:

Seeing this today at 7pm. Also how are the early screening tickets sales getting included in the film? Like my early screening is selling well with 32/78 tickets sold. Screening was just announced yesterday. 

FWIW it's replacing the evening show for The Shape of Water at my theater and a few others around me. Might give the latter a nice boost on top of the afterglow from its Best Picture win.

It's close to selling out the sneak at my theater so clearly interest is there.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lab276 said:

The time review is more of a hot take. But still fresh on RT, so whatever.

honestly this is a bad take. I'm not gay and don't attempt to speak for them. (apparently the author is gay) but people who act like being gay in America is some widely accepted thing and super easy for teenagers just seem out of touch with teenagers or just willingly obtuse. Maybe if you live in some big liberal city but anywhere outside of that coming out of gay is going to be super scary no matter how open minded you friends  are or how liberal your parents are. I think a cute teen YA rom com story featuring gay characters and treating them as normal every day  teens with problems every teen faces is definitely needed. I don't think this film needs to justify it's existence. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, lab276 said:

The time review is more of a hot take. But still fresh on RT, so whatever.

I would say yes. There is a lot of homophobic parts in the middle of America.  LGBT youth make of 40% of youth homeless population.  It is suggested that 7% of the youth population is LGBT. LGBT youth also make the huge population of experience domestic violence and suicide. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/parenting/wp/2017/03/29/homeless-rates-for-lgbt-teens-are-alarming-heres-how-parents-can-change-that/?utm_term=.bb029276df35 

https://www.cdc.gov/lgbthealth/youth.htm 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Dexter of Suburbia said:

I would say yes. There is a lot of homophobic parts in the middle of America.  LGBT youth make of 40% of youth homeless population.  It is suggested that 7% of the youth population is LGBT. LGBT youth also make the huge population of experience domestic violence and suicide. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/parenting/wp/2017/03/29/homeless-rates-for-lgbt-teens-are-alarming-heres-how-parents-can-change-that/?utm_term=.bb029276df35 

I mean I guess his point that masculine, conventionally attractive, cisgender, white guy maybe having an easier time then more feminine gays is somewhat true but acting like being gay is easy or accepted now that gay marriage is legalized is just super ignorant.  I feel some people live in a bubble. Being gay is still really unacceptable in many parts around the states. But even if you live in an accepting environment self identity and self acceptance issues are such a big thing that gay teens face. And YA romance stories always focus on attractive popular wealthy (and often white) people I don't see why Love Simon has to be different. 

Spoiler

Also his love interest is black in this 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Dexter of Suburbia said:

Seriously, the article is dumb. As if there were tons of mainstream movies starring gay characters, or that diversity wasn't needed in the case of gay teens. Studios won't even tolerate a gay superhero in 2018!

And yes TV is much better. But the argument seems to be that because a low-rated TV show like Riverdale exists, then gay teens don't need movies.

• Like 2

Just now, commendable said:

my little brother and sister want to watch this, good reviews too im sensing this might break out huge

I know the tracking is low but I'm hoping this might surprise. Or maybe have good legs at least. I know trailer views don't mean much lol but the trailer has like 18 million views which is a lot for this genre 

• Like 1

Just got out of an advanced screening....yeah this is gonna have good word of mouth. The audience ate it up and all the jokes landed. The audience applauded when

Spoiler

Blue was revealed and when they kissed, 

Giving this a 94/100

It is a film for everybody...gay or straight. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I just saw the movie, too. it is a really, really good movie and will have good wom. Everyone in the theater laughed at the jokes and they applauded at the end. A lot of people in the theater were also tearing up during the movie, too. Which actually affected me emotionally lol. It was a really good movie! very well done. I foresee an A-A+ cinemascore

Edited by YLF
  • Like 2

I’m glad to see positive reactions. 

I’m gay and there’s not enough films like this for younger guys. Can’t wait to see it. I hope it breaks out. 

There’s an impressive list of Oscar winning gay films now, Brokeback Mountain, Milk, Moonlight and Call Me By Your Name. But it’s time for a mainstream one too. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hiccup23 said:

The strength of this film is in that it is very relatable. I think this will have a A or A+ cinema-score. 

If it holds that pitiful 2,400 theater count, I think we will see a $14M/50M run. Hopefully it can make more. 

Even with the low-ish theater count, I wouldn't be surprised if it opens with high teens and has great legs from there. The month looking to be pretty dire from a quality standpoint should also help with staying power too.

• Like 1