DAJK

Weekend #s: Sully 22M, Blair Witch 9.6M, Bridget Jones 8.2M, Snowden 8M, DB 5.6M, WTBB 5.5M, Squad 4.7M

41 minutes ago, Blair Witch failed Baumer said:

There's always options.  If people didn't like it, they would just stay away rather than spend 12 bucks on a film they thought was just ok or shit.

What were the options?  There have been zero films released aimed at that PG-13 major demographic since August 5th.  

Florence Foster Jenkins - geriatric crowd

Pete's Dragon - kids and families

Sausage Party - hard R comedy

Ben-Hur - Religious epic with even worse reviews 

Kubo - kids

War Dogs - rated R and historically poor performing Middle East War category

Hell or High Water - rated R slow burn aimed at adults

Don't Breathe - rated R thriller/horror

Hands of Stone - lol

Mechanic: Resurrection  - complete bomb

Southside with You - love story with political slant

The Light Between the Oceans - very dull adult drama

Morgan - might be the biggest bomb of the year except for The Disappointments Room

Sully - geriatirc Oscar bait

The Disappointments Room - horror and huge bomb

When the Bough Breaks - thriller/horror aimed at African-American audience

The Wild Life - kids 

Blair Witch - rated R horror

Bridget Jones' Baby - adult themed aimed at older females

Hillsong - documentary

Snowden - rated R adult themed thriller

Not trying to be too argumentative, but I am not seeing a single viable options for the demographic that Suicide Squad is aimed at.  Again, this isn't me saying that on a lot of levels the core audience likes the movie, but I think it is a mistake to say the legs are what they are without taking into account the release date.  For example, I think if you put Batman vs. Superman in the same release date then it has better legs than it did in late March when it faced a lot more competition over the same time period.  

Edited by EmpireCity
  • Like 10

11 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

What were the options?  There have been zero films released aimed at that PG-13 major demographic since August 5th.  

Kubo - kids

Hands of Stone - lol

Morgan - might be the biggest bomb of the year except for The Disappointments Room

The Wild Life - kids 

Hillsong - documentary

Not trying to be too argumentative, but I am not seeing a single viable options for the demographic that Suicide Squad is aimed at.  Again, this isn't me saying that on a lot of levels the core audience likes the movie, but I think it is a mistake to say the legs are what they are without taking into account the release date.  For example, I think if you put Batman vs. Superman in the same release date then it has better legs than it did in late March when it faced a lot more competition over the same time period.  

I'd say Don't Breathe has a similar audience. Most of the people at SS seem to be older teens in both showings I went to.

1 minute ago, Blair Witch failed Baumer said:

The option is not to go.  So you're saying if the wom is bad on a movie, people will check it out just because they have nothing else to see?  LMFAO.

Absolutely.  It happens all the time.  There are a ton of people who go to the movies out of habit.  

If what you are saying is true, then every shit movie would fall off a lot faster then they do.  

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Kubo - kids

Hands of Stone - lol

The Wild Life - kids 

Hillsong - documentary

A fairly good point, but I still would add that there are people who enjoy PG-13 tentpoles who also enjoy other categories. I can see a lot of Suicide Squad viewers also having interest in movies like Sausage Party and Don't Breathe (strong appeal to young adults, who play a part in the box office of superhero movies), as well as Pete's Dragon and Kubo (families do go to superhero movies). Were they formidable foes? No. But could they have given a bit of a dent to Suicide Squad's potential performance? I'd say it's likely. And keep in mind that I don't think Suicide Squad has toxic nor phenomenal WOM. I just feel that it's having a simply okay run.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CoolEric258 said:

A fairly good point, but I still would add that there are people who enjoy PG-13 tentpoles who also enjoy other categories. I can see a lot of Suicide Squad viewers also having interest in movies like Sausage Party and Don't Breathe (strong appeal to young adults, who play a part in the box office of superhero movies), as well as Pete's Dragon and Kubo (families do go to superhero movies). Were they formidable foes? No. But could they have given a bit of a dent to Suicide Squad's potential performance? I'd say it's likely. And keep in mind that I don't think Suicide Squad has toxic nor phenomenal WOM. I just feel that it's having a simply okay run.

Absolutely agree with you and you make the best point, it had an ok run.  Noting horrible, nothing great.  That was my larger point and because it didn't go sub $300m doesn't mean you can extrapolate happiness out of it.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EmpireCity said:

I don't think it necessarily means that and more likely means it was simply the last tent pole action of the summer season and has had no competition for the last 8 weeks.  

Don't get me wrong, it showed better legs than expected for sure, but I think it has more to do with lack of options.  

Remember that applies to all the flims that had good August legs.

6 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

People get bored, what else do they have to do?

Exactly.  Anyone who doesn't believe this, go sit during the day this time of the year at your local cinema for a few hours and watch people walk up to the box office to buy tickets.  Many of them have no idea what they want to see and pick a movie on the spot.  Same thing at a multi-plex on a weekend night with a lot of teens.  They get dropped off at a theater and will get tickets to whatever as it is more of a social experience with friends rather then coming to actually see a movie.  

• Like 5

Not playing sides here, but the mantra about reviews around here is that people can't make up their mind about a movie on their own and they need to save money so they use the reviews so they don't waste their money on "bad movies".  So now the story is they are going to ignore the reviews and have the free money to go see a film they don't want to see. :P I think that's the point @Blair Witch failed Baumer may be making. 

Yes, of course they are people that want to see a movie and purposely go see a bad movie.  But that is not the majority or even close to it.  Most people will wait to see something they want to watch or find something else to do.

I won't even go into my rant that no one should ever be bored, but that's for another thread :P 

and believe me this isn't about fanboying for any movie because you can look around and you won't see me saying that SS was a great movie anywhere

Edited by 75live
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Brainiac5 said:

Remember that applies to all the flims that had good August legs.

For the most part, it does.  There can be exceptions, but most of the films released in this time frame would have not had the same legs in May/June/July.  

Edited by EmpireCity

28 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Kubo - kids

Hands of Stone - lol

The Wild Life - kids 

Hillsong - documentary

I agree with this. In fact, I said this last week.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Absolutely agree with you and you make the best point, it had an ok run.  Noting horrible, nothing great.  That was my larger point and because it didn't go sub $300m doesn't mean you can extrapolate happiness out of it.  

I like how people are not even supposed to celebrate a movie having a good run anymore. After the 2nd weekend, a lot of users here said 280-290 would be where it would end up, exceeding that by 30-40M or more is now expected? In hindsight, it is always easy to make up reasons for why a movie has managed to keep going at the box office - where were you when the second weekend drop happened? Did you come out at that time and say it would have good late legs and breach the 320M barrier?

Everyone in this thread pretty much being Captain Hindsight with respect to Suicide Squad's run "It was always going to have good late legs"

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Exactly. It's having an OK run and some here act as if it's having phenomenal legs or breaking records.

Just because its legs are better than BvS does not make them incredible. Just because it's gonna make over 300m does not mean everyone loved it.

It's having an OK run, somewhat aided by lack of competition. It didn't fall off a cliff, it didn't fail, but no one has been saying those things in a really long time. There's no need to keep using hyperbole to prove some "haters" wrong.

13 minutes ago, Blair Witch failed Baumer said:

The option is not to go.  So you're saying if the wom is bad on a movie, people will check it out just because they have nothing else to see?  LMFAO.

I don't get why this conversation keep coming up.

Nobody is gonna make me believe people are going to see a movie they hate.

I dont remember SS twitter Ratio ever being lower than a 6:1.Sure that's not great wom but it's not even close to being bad.

• Like 1

I really disliked SS. Some people like me foresaw really bad legs and this movie struggling to get to 300m. I/we were wrong. 

On the other hand, an original movie with huge marketing getting toward a 2.4 multiplier isn't really impressive. 

Deadpool had a similar OW and ends up roughly 40m ahead of SS's destination. 

For that matter, my beloved CACW had about 35m on SS for OW, but will finish 80+m ahead. 

I wanted to see SS flame out to promote change in the DCEU. My forecasting was off and the people who like the Snyder product have a sense of victory. 

• Like 2

I'll ask the same question of anyone here.....

Do you think Suicide Squad has the same legs or makes as much money if you swap release dates with Batman vs. Superman?  Do you think Batman vs. Superman has as terrible of legs if it is released in August?  

Remember, that is not implying they would have flipped the exact numbers with each other, but only the legs would have been different.  I don't think you would be seeing  20% drops in weekend 6-8 for Suicide Squad if those weeks are May 1st- May 15th up against Captain America: Civil War.  Batman vs. Superman was having 70%+ drops on those weekends.  Do you think it would have those same 70% drops if going against Blair Witch/Bridget Jones/Snowden?  I don't think so.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I'll ask the same question of anyone here.....

Do you think Suicide Squad has the same legs or makes as much money if you swap release dates with Batman vs. Superman?  Do you think Batman vs. Superman has as terrible of legs if it is released in August?  

Remember, that is not implying they would have flipped the exact numbers with each other, but only the legs would have been different.  I don't think you would be seeing  20% drops in weekend 6-8 for Suicide Squad if those weeks are May 1st- May 15th up against Captain America: Civil War.  Batman vs. Superman was having 70%+ drops on those weekends.  Do you think it would have those same 70% drops if going against Blair Witch/Bridget Jones/Snowden?  I don't think so.  

Then why did no one bring that point up till it actually started having those drops? Why did everyone act as if it would keep falling off a cliff post the 2nd weekend. Why was it said that this would struggle to even get near 300M post the 2nd weekend.

It is well and good to say everything you wrote now, say this 6 weeks ago and you had a point. It is post-facto analysis at its best.

• Like 5