DAJK

Weekend #s: Sully 22M, Blair Witch 9.6M, Bridget Jones 8.2M, Snowden 8M, DB 5.6M, WTBB 5.5M, Squad 4.7M

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

I'll ask the same question of anyone here.....

Do you think Suicide Squad has the same legs or makes as much money if you swap release dates with Batman vs. Superman?  Do you think Batman vs. Superman has as terrible of legs if it is released in August?  

Remember, that is not implying they would have flipped the exact numbers with each other, but only the legs would have been different.  I don't think you would be seeing  20% drops in weekend 6-8 for Suicide Squad if those weeks are May 1st- May 15th up against Captain America: Civil War.  Batman vs. Superman was having 70%+ drops on those weekends.  Do you think it would have those same 70% drops if going against Blair Witch/Bridget Jones/Snowden?  I don't think so.  

True, Suicide Squad had an advantageous release date. It still recovered better than most people thought it would.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I'll ask the same question of anyone here.....

Do you think Suicide Squad has the same legs or makes as much money if you swap release dates with Batman vs. Superman?  Do you think Batman vs. Superman has as terrible of legs if it is released in August?  

Remember, that is not implying they would have flipped the exact numbers with each other, but only the legs would have been different.  I don't think you would be seeing  20% drops in weekend 6-8 for Suicide Squad if those weeks are May 1st- May 15th up against Captain America: Civil War.  Batman vs. Superman was having 70%+ drops on those weekends.  Do you think it would have those same 70% drops if going against Blair Witch/Bridget Jones/Snowden?  I don't think so.  

I said this last week lol. Switch BvS and SS release dates and you get SS with a 2.0 multiplier and BvS with a 2.4 multiplier. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I like how people are not even supposed to celebrate a movie having a good run anymore. After the 2nd weekend, a lot of users here said 280-290 would be where it would end up, exceeding that by 30-40M or more is now expected? In hindsight, it is always easy to make up reasons for why a movie has managed to keep going at the box office - where were you when the second weekend drop happened? Did you come out at that time and say it would have good late legs and breach the 320M barrier?

Everyone in this thread pretty much being Captain Hindsight with respect to Suicide Squad's run "It was always going to have good late legs"

Don't throw me into this mix.  I was one of the original people after opening weekend saying it was easily going to hit $300m and was going to end at around $315m or so and you can easily look that up on here.  

So to answer your question to where was I when the second week drop happened, I was right here calling the final run within about $5m - $10m and telling others it would easily break $300m

Edited by EmpireCity
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, JennaJ said:

Exactly. It's having an OK run and some here act as if it's having phenomenal legs or breaking records.

Just because its legs are better than BvS does not make them incredible. Just because it's gonna make over 300m does not mean everyone loved it.

It's having an OK run, somewhat aided by lack of competition. It didn't fall off a cliff, it didn't fail, but no one has been saying those things in a really long time. There's no need to keep using hyperbole to prove some "haters" wrong.

It's has the  best legs out of the cbm's for 2016 and only second to Deadpool.

Yes,After that second week drop SS boxoffice run is Phenomenal. 

We have gone from the movie making 550ww to 750ww(potential) so the haters have been proven wrong they just will not accept it.

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Then why did no one bring that point up till it actually started having those drops? Why did everyone act as if it would keep falling off a cliff post the 2nd weekend. Why was it said that this would struggle to even get near 300M post the 2nd weekend.

It is well and good to say everything you wrote now, say this 6 weeks ago and you had a point. It is post-facto analysis at its best.

Your a mod, right?  Do you know how to use the search feature?  

If you do, then it should be no trouble for you to find my posts saying exactly what you are saying I wasn't here saying.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Then why did no one bring that point up till it actually started having those drops? Why did everyone act as if it would keep falling off a cliff post the 2nd weekend. Why was it said that this would struggle to even get near 300M post the 2nd weekend.

It is well and good to say everything you wrote now, say this 6 weeks ago and you had a point. It is post-facto analysis at its best.

There were people here saying just that, talking about lack of competition etc. This is hardly the first time this has been brought up.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, 75live said:

Not playing sides here, but the mantra about reviews around here is that people can't make up their mind about a movie on their own and they need to save money so they use the reviews so they don't waste their money on "bad movies".  So now the story is they are going to ignore the reviews and have the free money to go see a film they don't want to see. :P I think that's the point @Blair Witch failed Baumer may be making. 

Yes, of course they are people that want to see a movie and purposely go see a bad movie.  But that is not the majority or even close to it.  Most people will wait to see something they want to watch or find something else to do.

I won't even go into my rant that no one should ever be bored, but that's for another thread :P 

and believe me this isn't about fanboying for any movie because you can look around and you won't see me saying that SS was a great movie anywhere

I think that is true for busy months like May/June/July or November/Dec/early January when there is a lot of competition, but as was listed before when you only have 1 or 2 viable options for someone to see a movie over an 8 week period it gets different.  A lot of people go to the movies on a weekly or monthly basis out of habit.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Brainiac5 said:

It's has the  best legs out of the cbm's for 2016 and only second to Deadpool.

Yes,After that second week drop SS boxoffice run is Phenomenal. 

No it doesn't, and no it isn't.

It doesn't have the best legs because Deadpool has much (MUCH) better legs (that was phenomenal, if you want a performance that actually merits that praise).

Right now X Men Apocalypse actually still has better legs than SS (OW making up 42.3% vs 42.6% for SS).

That will naturally change very soon and SS will end up with better legs, but funny how I don't remember anyone calling X Men's legs phenomenal around here.

Edited by JennaJ
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, JennaJ said:

No it doesn't, and no it isn't.

It doesn't have the best legs because Deadpool has much (MUCH) better legs (that was phenomenal, if you want a performance that actually merits that the praise).

Right now X Men Apocalypse actually still has better legs than SS (OW making up 42.3% vs 42.6% for SS).

That will naturally change very soon and SS will end up with better legs, but funny how I don't remember anyone calling X Men's legs phenomenal around here.

Slow down and read what I wrote again(stop letting the hate blind you).

SS will finish with about a (.2)-(.3) less than Deadpool so yes it's run is Phenomenal giving its RT score.

Even if it hasn't passed xmen legs it will this week.

I wasn't around for Xmen boxoffice run had business to deal with.

P.s

you seem salty I guess your part of the doom and gloom crew.

Edited by Brainiac5

1 minute ago, Brainiac5 said:

SS will finish with about a (.2)-(.3) less than Deadpool so yes it's run is Phenomenal giving its RT score.

SS will end up around 35m below Deadpool after opening 1m over it. 

The difference between decent legs to great legs.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Suicide Squad is definitely benefiting from lack of competition. Though I think the WOM is definitely more "it was OK/entertaining" rather than the toxic WOM people initially believed

There's a reason August films generally have good legs.  Not only do they benefit from summer days but late in their run they benefit from high theater count retention because of the lack of other big openers. 

Agreed, WOM wasn't toxic or it could have had legs like F4 but even that with an August release date had a 2.18 multiplier.

TMNT in 2014 had a 2.9+ multiplier but that didn't mean it was loved or especially even well liked as indicated by it's (better reviewed) sequel opening almost 50% less.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, JennaJ said:

SS will end up around 35m below Deadpool after opening 1m over it. 

The difference between decent legs to great legs.

Ok I see your only here to attack the flim.

It doesn't matter if the movie opened 100mil above or not when the smoke clears SS was a success. 

718ww with  says so.

Please go to VS thread if you wanna attack the movie.

You will never understand how SS bounced back after a 66% second week drop.

Edited by Brainiac5

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

1 hour ago, EmpireCity said:

Your a mod, right?  Do you know how to use the search feature?  

If you do, then it should be no trouble for you to find my posts saying exactly what you are saying I wasn't here saying.  

Here you go:

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, m3racer123 said:

Here you go:

Thank you for pulling that up.  So nobody has to click on it, I said on Aug. 10th (5 days after release) it would get to at least $315m or so and it was a huge win for WB and DC.  

Edited by EmpireCity
  • Like 2