DAJK

Weekend #s: Sully 22M, Blair Witch 9.6M, Bridget Jones 8.2M, Snowden 8M, DB 5.6M, WTBB 5.5M, Squad 4.7M

Snowden's start is so-so if the film had a $20 million budget or less the film would make a tiny profit. But on a $40 million budget(not even with P&A costs it costs probably between $60-$80 million with P&A included). If it debuts like End Of Watch them it could be a small investment who knows. Blair Witch is in trouble(49% and dropping audience score), $15 million start wouldn't be surprising and gross around $35 million or so. It's a profit for Lionsgate but nothing huge. Bridget Jones is a word of mouth hit, critics love and should bring in older audiences this weekend! Overall Sully should still win the weekend, and make over $70 million by 10-days.

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

I don't know if anyone cared a month ago. It's September.

But the point remains. Plus, almost everyone (myself included admitedly) thought that Blair Witch was going to win the weekend. I was worried if Sully wouldn't even clear its OW at #1 (expected WTBB to pull a Perfect Guy there).

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

Bridget Jones's preview numbers are disappointing but TBH the OS numbers will likely be enough where the domestic total is just gravy. Working Title had a similar situation with Johnny English Reborn which made ton of money OS but pittance in domestic 

I don't think BJB will make as much as JE did though. 

31 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

Snowden's start is so-so if the film had a $20 million budget or less the film would make a tiny profit. But on a $40 million budget(not even with P&A costs it costs probably between $60-$80 million with P&A included).

It's financed largely through some German and French companies. Open Road presumably just paid a distribution fee for domestic rights. (And OR itself is an interesting company, since it's owned by AMC and Regal).

I'd say BW is headed to the $3.5-4.5m range for today. Seems like it wouldn't have done much better if it were just "The Woods."

Bridget Jones will have the same range, but likely a better IM.  Snowden should be around $2.7-3m, give it an $8-9m weekend.

A super easy repeat for Sully.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Why does she "deserve" a comeback again?

Because 1) she's a really good actress and had one of the best runs of any actor in the early 2000s (she was the JLaw of that time, really) and 2) this is her first movie in years (her last movie was 2010's Case 39, which was actually shot in 2006, so this is really her first movie in 7+ years) and the only time she's been in the news since then it's because of plastic surgery. It would be great if she could get a Golden Globe nomination just to show that the world still cares about her.

Just now, filmlover said:

Because 1) she's a really good actress and had one of the best runs of any actor in the early 2000s (she was the JLaw of that time, really) and 2) this is her first movie in years (her last movie was 2010's Case 39, which was actually shot in 2006, so this is really her first movie in 7+ years) and the only time she's been in the news since then it's because of plastic surgery. It would be great if she could get a Golden Globe nomination just to show that the world still cares about her.

Yeah, but does the world still care about her? I sure don't.

Still surprised at how long it's been since she's not made a movie.

• Like 3