DAJK

Weekend #s: Sully 22M, Blair Witch 9.6M, Bridget Jones 8.2M, Snowden 8M, DB 5.6M, WTBB 5.5M, Squad 4.7M

21 minutes ago, Spectre said:

I don't think it's horror fatigue so much as it is bad horror fatigue.

Think about the big horror hits so far: The Conjuring 2, Lights Out, Don't Breathe... they're all certified fresh and well regarded.

Micro budget horror has made it so there's an absolute ton of horror on the calendar.  Audiences can be selective.  Blair Witch is performing like an average horror movie because... it's an average horror movie.  If you've already gotten your horror fix from Don't Breathe, you could easily choose to skip over a rehash like Blair Witch with mediocre reviews and wait for the next option.

Ouija 2 stands a chance because it could be good due to Flanagan but Rings is going to get buried... because it looks like garbage.  Thankfully horror fans don't have to pay for garbage these days.

Yeah, horror audiences can be selective too. But since the budgets are usually manageable, you should still be in the black eventually regardless if your movie is trash or not. 

I did not see much excitement for Blair Witch, honestly most of its audience probably comes from die hard fans and it will likely have normal(terrible) horror film legs. 

Edited by babz06

14 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

At least that still crossed 100M DOM. Scream 4 couldn't even make that... WORLDWIDE.

I don't think it's fair to compare Independence Day to Scream. Sure both of the first movies were successes but they weren't anywhere close on the same level BO wise. 

17 minutes ago, Rman823 said:

I don't think it's fair to compare Independence Day to Scream. Sure both of the first movies were successes but they weren't anywhere close on the same level BO wise. 

Yeah, but all of the Scream films had done that mark before 4, without much difficulty. Hell, the 1st two did it in the US alone. ID2 is more disappointing than Scream 4, but at least Regurgence crossed the 100M DOM mark of "Ok, it's not as embarassing as if you hadn't crossed that". DOM, Scream 4 didn't even reach 40M.

33 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Yeah, but all of the Scream films had done that mark before 4, without much difficulty. Hell, the 1st two did it in the US alone. ID2 is more disappointing than Scream 4, but at least Regurgence crossed the 100M DOM mark of "Ok, it's not as embarassing as if you hadn't crossed that". DOM, Scream 4 didn't even reach 40M.

Scream 3 actually didn't but I see your point. I had 4 at least matching it (unadjusted). 

Edited by Rman823

Lionsgate better not do anything to botch La La Land. That is basically my most anticipated movie for the rest of the year (might change once I see the Passengers trailer, but for now).

Some movies have so much going for them, even Lionsgate can't fuck it up...   Right?

Just now, JennaJ said:

Lionsgate better not do anything to botch La La Land. That is basically my most anticipated movie for the rest of the year (might change once I see the Passengers trailer, but for now).

Some movies have so much going for them, even Lionsgate can't fuck it up...   Right?

They'll pull what Weinstein did with Carol and advertise it as a thriller:

"SEE THE #1 THRILLER OF THE YEAR...WITH SONGS."

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JennaJ said:

I don't think there is any way to mess up that marketing campaign. Awards season will basically do most of the marketing for them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

http://deadline.com/2016/09/bridget-jones-blair-witch-snowden-sully-weekend-box-office-renee-zellweger-1201820827/

Sully:  $6.5m/ $21.3Mm

BW: $7m/ $17.2m

Bridget: $4.7m/$13m

Snowden : 2.7m / 7.2 w/e (don't see that multiplier with the Fathom events rolled in)

Hillsong: 750k/ 1.9m

Well thats somewhat disappointing for Sully