DAJK

Weekend #s: Sully 22M, Blair Witch 9.6M, Bridget Jones 8.2M, Snowden 8M, DB 5.6M, WTBB 5.5M, Squad 4.7M

At least my theatre ate up the movie. While it was a much scarier movie than it was a good movie, I honestly thought the film had some awesome terrifying moments. And there was more of a crowd than I was expecting; horror movies have typically Ben under performing at my theatre as of late and I thought this would tank even harder but the crowd was probably about the same as Lights Out and Don't Breathe.

10 minutes ago, Kevin Bacon said:

Holy yikes. Wingard and Barrett can't catch a break at the box-office. You're Next tragically clunked for reasons completely lost on me, The Guest didn't even receive a wide release, and now this, seemingly their mainstream breakout, is a huge disappointment at the box-office and this time there aren't even rave reviews to ease the burn.

If Death Note bombs (and let's face it, it's a live-action anime adaptation, the odds are high) Wingard might start having a hard time getting work. This sucks.

Death Note is Netflix. It is safe.

11 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Really weird case here for sure. Were the early critics more inclined to give it good reviews because of the surprise factor from the movie being a Blair Witch sequel? Can't understand how it can get reviews praising it to high heaven when the reveal happened and then plummeting now.

It was a combination of the surprise factor + horror publications. They probably lost their shit with the reveal. Lionsgate probably thought they had a winner on their hands.

3 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Death Note is Netflix. It is safe.

Might be, but being Netflix means it won't get a wide release (or any release to be honest). Won't help Wingard's career as much as a Blair Witch breakout could have even if it gets 100% on RT.

• Like 1

Bridget Jones's numbers are not good, I imagine Universal had low expectations but considering the promotional push, it's not paid off. Luckily the OS numbers will save it especially the UK

Heres hoping Mag 7 and Storks can cook up a storm next week

The Blair Witch brand has also been tainted since shortly after inception, too. It's like everyone forgets that that movie faced tremendous backlash after it finally reached wide release because of audiences who 1) got motion sickness while watching the movie or 2) were pissed when it was discovered that it wasn't real (truly the only time in history you could owe a film's success entirely to the Internet). Book of Shadows being a miserable flop the following year pretty much killed the brand once for all (until someone decided to try reviving it here).

• Like 1

The top 10 films for the weekend of Sept. 16-18 per Friday evening industry estimates:

1). Sully  (WB), 3,525 theaters / $6.3M Fri. (-48%) / 3-day cume: $21.5M (-39%)/Total cume: $70M/Wk 2

2). Blair Witch  (LG), 3,121 theaters / $3.8M Fri. (includes $765K previews) / 3-day cume: $9.3M /Wk 1

3). Bridget Jones’s Baby  (UNI), 2,927 theaters / $3M Fri. (includes $364K previews) / 3-day cume: $8.5M / Wk 1

4). Snowden  (OR), 2,443 theaters / $2.6M Fri. (includes $390K) / 3-day cume: $7.6M /Wk 1

5). Don’t Breathe (SONY), 3,208 theaters (-176) / $1.4M (-43%) Fri. / 3-day cume: $4.8M (-41%) / Total  cume: $74.6M / Wk 4

6). When the Bough Breaks  (SONY), 2,246 theaters / $1.47M Fri. (-72%) / 3-day cume: $4.5M (-68%) /Total cume: $21.7M/ Wk 2

7). Suicide Squad (WB), 2,740 theaters (-363) / $1M Fri. (-28%) / 3-day cume: $4.1M (-28%) / Total cume: $313.1M / Wk 7

8). The Wild Life  (LG), 2,493 theaters / $538K (-27%) Fri. / 3-day cume: $2.8M (-16%)/ Total: $6.8M/Wk 2

9). Kubo and the Two Strings (FOC), 1,757 theaters (-578) / $449K Fri. (-33%) / 3-day cume: $2.4M (-28%) / Total cume: $44.1M / Wk 5

10). Pete’s Dragon (DIS), 1,948 theaters (-737) / $457K Fri. (-33%) / 3-day cume: $2.2M (-29%) / Total cume: $73M / Wk 6

• Like 7

Just now, Spidey Freak said:

Ugh those Bridget numbers. Now some trash outlets will never shut up about Renee destroying her career by changing her "trademark face" or some similar shit.

I know, it sucks. Hopefully she can still get a Golden Globe nomination, at least, although I'm not counting on it given how stacked that category looks to be this year (Beckinsale in Love & Friendship and Field in Hello My Name is Doris are probably locks already).

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Blankments said:

Just saw Sully; it was alright

Was anyone else bothered by prominent placement of Despicable Me headphones in a gift shop when the movie takes place a year and a half before that film came out?

Holy shit, really? Illuminati Entertainment is going to edit history textbooks if we let them.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Blankments said:

Just saw Sully; it was alright

Was anyone else bothered by prominent placement of Despicable Me headphones in a gift shop when the movie takes place a year and a half before that film came out?

Not nearly as glaring as the ridiculous Gran Torino product placement in those Times Square shots. lol.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, DAJK said:

http://deadline.com/2016/09/bridget-jones-blair-witch-snowden-sully-weekend-box-office-renee-zellweger-1201820827/

Blair witch sub 10M weekend. Bridget Jones under 9M. This sucks. This really sucks.

horrible for the openers, although Snowden held up about as well as it could.

Don't Breathe and SUicide Squad both with good holds.

Edited by babz06

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Not nearly as glaring as the ridiculous Gran Torino product placement min those Times Square shots. lol.

Eh, let Clint and Warner Bros plug one of his past films. 

I woudnt be surprised if Bridget ends up the number 1 film internationally despite the low domestic opening