WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 28): Magnificent 7 35M | Storks 21.8M | Sully 13.8M | Bridget Jones 4.5M

18 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Passengers will be more of a test to Pratt (and JLaw's by extension) drawing power than Mag7 is.

Pratt will be a reasonable enough draw for Passengers, but we all know that the vast majority will want to see it for Jennifer.

4 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Pratt will be a reasonable enough draw for Passengers, but we all know that the vast majority will want to see it for Jennifer.

Eh, you may think so but unless you run a poll, you don't know that. I saw comments saying the exact opposite.

I think the combined star power of both will be greater than the sum of its parts, either way. I know I wouldn't have cared for this nearly as much if it was just one of them with a different counterpart.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Maxmoser3 said:

Solid start for Mag 7! Should play well with audiences this weekend. $40 million OW doesn't seem that bad. 

Were you expecting something higher than 40?  

8 minutes ago, JennaJ said:

Eh, you may think so but unless you run a poll, you don't know that. I saw comments saying the exact opposite.

I think the combined star power of both will be greater than the sum of its parts, either way. I know I wouldn't have cared for this nearly as much if it was just one of them with a different counterpart.

I agree with you. I love them both, especially together.

Edited by Noctis
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

Chris Pratt is oficially a draw.

The film's marketing campaign was sold more on Denzel then Pratt. Pratt is still not technically officially a "draw" (not to bash him or anything, just pointing that out). Besides the concept of a box office dead is almost dead nowadays anyway.

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis

2 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

A lot of people were like a month ago but buzz died down a little bit since then

I predicted 42m before the mixed reviews came out. I think to really break out it needed stronger praise from the critics. The target audience is mature and that crowd tends to care more about what the critics say.

Still I think WOM will be just fine, going by some YouTube critics like Jahns and Stuckmann. We'll see.

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Clearly you haven't paid attention to some of the predictions the past few months. :lol: Some were calling for a $200M+ total from this.

Wasn't there an over 50 million OW@ thread?  I can't find it

Deadline is predicting high 20s- low 30s for Storks which would put in range with other September animation apart from HT and HT2.

$30-35m would be a win for WB and WAG for Storks, they are ramping up the slate with the two Lego films next year then Smallfoot and Scooby Doo in 2018. I'll be curious how Ninjago does as doesn't have the name recognition that Batman does, the short in front of Storks will help audiences will familiar with the characters

I'll be curious to see what WAG comes up with, they're drawing upon existing IP like Lego but also the various libraries that WB owns as well as original ideas. I imagine they'll be a Plastic Man or Metal Men movie from WAG since those characters lend themselves to animation and also we've seen how successful Big Hero 6 has been from WDAS

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

There are so many adult-targeting movies coming out over consecutives between Sully, Magnificent Seven, Deepwater Horizon, The Girl on the Train, The Accountant, and Inferno. Will be interesting to see if all of them can coexist at once.

Accountant and DH will gross no more than $60M DOM though.