kayumanggi

PASSENGERS | 203.1 M overseas ● 303.1 M worldwide

I wouldn't expect anything from them.

It's doing fine in Germany and France, maybe 7-8 million could come from those markets alone (?), +/-5M from China (It will be dead this friday) and 6 more domestic... it will need +12 million from the rest of the world. Not an easy task considering it finished or almost finished its run in the bigger territories.

Edited by A District 3 Engineer
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, A District 3 Engineer said:

I wouldn't expect anything from them.

It's doing fine in Germany and France, maybe 7-8 million could come from that market (?), +/-5M from China (It will be dead this thursday) and 6 more domestic... it will need +12 million from the rest of the world. Not an easy task considering it finished or almost finished its run in the bigger markets

Yeah. It will be tough at this point, but that doesn't mean I'm not hoping for it.  I still think it will have more than broken even based on the numbers another user posted regarding Sony's history of similar budgeted original science fiction, and based on the limited marketing we saw Sony do.  And then there will be dvds and streaming services, etc.

9 hours ago, JennaJ said:

Yup, in March.

It's going to be a crawl to 300m, I think. A lot depends on how well it does in Japan. I have no idea what to expect from that market.

I agree. Should crawl to 300 mill. Okay result

• Like 2

2 hours ago, trifle said:

I still think it will have more than broken even based on the numbers another user posted regarding Sony's history of similar budgeted original science fiction, and based on the limited marketing we saw Sony do.  And then there will be dvds and streaming services, etc.

I could be misreading your post, but it is not that the movie will break even and then there will have the dvds, streaming service and TV come in.

dvds, streaming service, tv and others is where the majority of revenues come from for the studios (Warner Brothers in 2015 made only 30% of is motion picture division revenue from theater ticket sales for example, without considering the video games movie adaptation sales).

To go back to the Sony Elysium example.

That is a breakdown of the movie revenue source

DOMESTIC THEATRICAL REVENUE 43,737

INTL THEATRICAL REVENUE 74,017

DOMESTIC HOME ENT REVENUE 53,270

DOMESTIC HOME ENT PPV REVENUE 9,604

INTL HOME ENT REVENUE 36,210

INTL HOME ENT PPV REVENUE 6,665

DOMESTIC PAY TV REVENUE 13,552

DOMESTIC FREE TV REVENUE 12,193

INTERNATIONAL TELEVISION REVENUE 45,600

AIRLINES AND MUSIC 2,701

NON-THEATRICAL & OTHER 335

From the total of 297.934 million in revenues, about 40% came from theatrical  (117.808 million),  (close to the studio average of 35% of revenue coming from theater, big movie tend to do a bigger part of their revenue in cinema), 60% came after the theater run (180.126 million)

A movie like Passenger (well almost every movie made in the home video era) do not turn a profit before television revenue come in at the very end. TV is around 25+% of a studio revenue from their motion picture division, much bigger than a movie division gross margin of profit.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Barnack said:

I could be misreading your post, but it is not that the movie will break even and then there will have the dvds, streaming service and TV come in.

dvds, streaming service, tv and others is where the majority of revenues come from for the studios (Warner Brothers in 2015 made only 30% of is motion picture division revenue from theater ticket sales for example, without considering the video games movie adaptation sales).

To go back to the Sony Elysium example.

That is a breakdown of the movie revenue source

DOMESTIC THEATRICAL REVENUE 43,737

INTL THEATRICAL REVENUE 74,017

DOMESTIC HOME ENT REVENUE 53,270

DOMESTIC HOME ENT PPV REVENUE 9,604

INTL HOME ENT REVENUE 36,210

INTL HOME ENT PPV REVENUE 6,665

DOMESTIC PAY TV REVENUE 13,552

DOMESTIC FREE TV REVENUE 12,193

INTERNATIONAL TELEVISION REVENUE 45,600

AIRLINES AND MUSIC 2,701

NON-THEATRICAL & OTHER 335

From the total of 297.934 million in revenues, about 40% came from theatrical  (117.808 million),  (close to the studio average of 35% of revenue coming from theater, big movie tend to do a bigger part of their revenue in cinema), 60% came after the theater run (180.126 million)

A movie like Passenger (well almost every movie made in the home video era) do not turn a profit before television revenue come in at the very end. TV is around 25+% of a studio revenue from their motion picture division, much bigger than a movie division gross margin of profit.

Thank you for that explanation!

@Barnack, your posts are consistently very informative and enlightening to read. Thank you!

100m dom and 300m WW are just nice round numbers, so I'll keep hoping it gets to those milestones, even if it'll be a slow crawl.

In the end I think considering the reviews, it did about as well as could be expected. I enjoyed it a lot and I hope to see these two actors work together again at some point.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

175.1 M overseas | 269.8 M worldwide

well, BOM hasn't updated overseas numbers in a few days, but it is probably not too far from that. It is still running number 1 in Chinese theaters, but it is about to lose almost all theaters because of the Chinese New Year, starting tomorrow.

Edited by trifle

On 1/24/2017 at 6:50 AM, Gavin Feng said:

Tuesday estimates

Passengers  -  12.25m / 262m
Someone Like It Hot  -  11.9m / 595m
Arrival  -  10.75m / 72.1m
Backkom Bear  -  6.4m / 101m
Rogue One  -  6.2m / 436m
Railroad Tigers  -  3m / 677m
The Great Wall  -  2.5m / 1,153m
Kubo  -  1.14m / 38.58m
Hacksaw Ridge  -  1.13m / 416m

3 hours ago, Gavin Feng said:

Wednesday estimates

Passengers  -  12.5m / 286m
Someone Like It Hot  -  11.8m / 616m
Arrival  -  10.65m / 87.85m
Backkom Bear  -  6.6m / 113m
Rogue One  -  6.15m / 448m

The Village of No Return  -  3.5m for previews
Railroad Tigers  -  2.9m / 682m
The Great Wall  -  2.6m / 1,157m
Hacksaw Ridge  -  1.3m / 418m
Kubo  -  1.11m / 41.2m

2 hours ago, Gavin Feng said:

The “leaving” we said means low number of screen showings. Theaters in nationwide will give local films 99.5% of 270,000 screen showings on CNY. 0.5%(1350 screen showings) for other films.

sorry, I tried to edit these into the prior post but it just put them in a new one.

No chance it gets some screens back after new year's, right? 

Feels like a lot of untapped potential, but that seems to be the norm for this movie. Every time I watch it I am baffled by how it got such scathing reviews and lukewarm marketing (in the US). I'm biased because I really liked it, but I just feel like this movie deserved better.

But honestly, with these reviews, I'm thankful it's "decent" or "mediocre" and not "flop".

Edited by JennaJ
  • Like 2