kayumanggi

PASSENGERS | 203.1 M overseas ● 303.1 M worldwide

6 minutes ago, A District 3 Engineer said:

It'd be better if it doesn't have to rely on Japan to get those 300M WW

Oh? Why is that?

I mean, besides the fact that it would then be even higher after Japan rolls in.

Edited by trifle
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, trifle said:

Well, it looks to me like this will be over $300M WW.  So far it is outperforming Ghostbusters in the markets I've checked, and Ghostbusters made $11M in Japan, where Passengers hasn't yet opened.

Should clear 300 mill without breaking sweat. But the 100 mill DOM really needs a good old fudge push

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, trifle said:

Oh? Why is that?

I mean, besides the fact that it would then be even higher after Japan rolls in.

Because Japan is a wild card, it's an unpredictable market, it could make those 11m you are hoping for (or even more) or it could bomb really hard and make less than 3m. 

And Jennifer's latest movies had kind of flopped, or haven't had a great performance there:

XMA: 7.36M

Joy: had a release date scheduled but it never opened.

Mp2: 1.22M

Mp1: 1.60M

XMDOFP: 9.98M

Edited by A District 3 Engineer

8 minutes ago, A District 3 Engineer said:

Because Japan is a wild card, it's an unpredictable market, it could make those 11m you are hoping for (or even more) or it could bomb really hard and make less than 3m. 

And Jennifer's latest movies had kind of flopped, or haven't had a great performance there:

XMA: 7.36M

Joy: had a release date scheduled but it didn't happen.

Mp2: 1.22M

Mp1: 1.60M

XMDOFP: 9.98M

Hm.  I'm still thinking it does over $11M, but it is one of the first times I've tried to predict a number for a country, so I could easily be wrong.

But even with those XMen numbers I think it makes $300M.

We'll see, I guess!

Edited by trifle

Well right now it's at $292,605,870 WW. Not sure if this already includes the OS weekend or not. Will be interesting to compare once actuals come in.

Domestic:  $97,405,870    33.3%
Foreign:  $195,200,000    66.7%

Worldwide:  $292,605,870  

So it will really only need, what, 4-5m from Japan? I don't think it's going to get to 100m domestic unless Sony pulls some miracle out of its sleeve. It just had an 800k weekend and will still be 2.6m short. Unless they can somehow keep it in 1,000 theaters for another month, and even then... It will probably close 1.5-2m short.

OS wise, Losing China will hurt. I'm not sure how much it did OS-C last weekend to extrapolate from that. I have no idea what to expect from Japan but obviously the less it needs from there, the better.

Edited by JennaJ

1 hour ago, JennaJ said:

Well right now it's at $292,605,870 WW. Not sure if this already includes the OS weekend or not. Will be interesting to compare once actuals come in.

Domestic:  $97,405,870    33.3%
Foreign:  $195,200,000    66.7%

Worldwide:  $292,605,870  

So it will really only need, what, 4-5m from Japan? I don't think it's going to get to 100m domestic unless Sony pulls some miracle out of its sleeve. It just had an 800k weekend and will still be 2.6m short. Unless they can somehow keep it in 1,000 theaters for another month, and even then... It will probably close 1.5-2m short.

OS wise, Losing China will hurt. I'm not sure how much it did OS-C last weekend to extrapolate from that. I have no idea what to expect from Japan but obviously the less it needs from there, the better.

Unless they do what they did with Spectre.  Spectre was at $198M in mid-January and it went over $200M in mid-March, basically took 2 months to get there.  It never played in in more than 379 theaters through that entire period, and was below 300 for most that time.  It crawled it's way to $200M. 

All depends on how badly Sony wants the $100M feather in it's cap.

• Like 1

So according to Deadline it had an estimated $1.9m OS weekend. I guess if that holds up with actuals, it means this could probably get to 294.5-296m WW before Japan, right?

So just leaves the question of whether or not it can make 4-6m in Japan. We'll see.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, JennaJ said:

So according to Deadline it had an estimated $1.9m OS weekend. I guess if that holds up with actuals, it means this could probably get to 294.5-296m WW before Japan, right?

So just leaves the question of whether or not it can make 4-6m in Japan. We'll see.

I've got to believe that's going to happen.  If Japan is more like South Korea than China in viewing habits, still Passengers made more in South Korea than Ghostbusters did, and Ghostbusters made $11 M in Japan. 

On the other hand, I am new at this, so... learning curve!

Apparently it is already at $295.2M WW.

20 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Worldwide Box Office(Estimates) Weekend Ending Feb. 05

9 minutes ago, JennaJ said:

Where does it say that in the chart? I see 195.2m OS and 292.6m WW. This is the same as the BOMojo prediction I posted yesterday.

I don't know if I misread it or if it changed before I posted it, but you are right about what it says.