antovolk

THE LION KING | July 19 2019 | Jon Favreau Photorealistic CGI Remake | Soulless Cash Grab to end all Soulless Cash Grabs

Jon Favreau is almost guaranteed RT gold.

If this got below a 90% RT score I would be SHOCKED. Lion King + Diverse Cast + Favreau + realistic CGI = high marks all around

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

TLK should be received better than Aladdin as it seems it'll be more or less completely faithful to the original. In don't think it'll be as well received as Jungle Book though since the realistic CGI that was novel with Jungle Book is definitely not with TLK.

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

This is a movie that's remaking a beloved classic that was box office juggernaut back in the day, for starters (its original 1994 run adjusts to $672M today). Meanwhile, there was no real precedent for a Pokémon movie doing huge numbers (the animated movie in 1999 adjusts to $150M today, a number that Pikachu is looking to come under).

That alone doesn't guarantee $200m ow.

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

That alone doesn't guarantee $200m ow.

That wasn't your original point. You said you thought this would underperform because of Detective Pikachu underperforming, an unfair comparison when even the low end for this movie's opening weekend will be higher than whatever that makes in total.

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

That wasn't your original point. You said you thought this would underperform because of Detective Pikachu underperforming, an unfair comparison when even the low end for this movie's opening weekend will be higher than whatever that makes in total.

It actually was verbatim my original point.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, cannastop said:

It actually was verbatim my original point.

...which was what exactly unless you just throwing out a random comparison? Just because a Pokémon movie failed to capture a massive audience has no bearing on a live-action Lion King remake.

Edited by filmlover

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

...which was what exactly unless you just throwing out a random comparison?

My point was that I had a hunch that The Lion King would open under $200m ow.

Lion King could still open under 200 million with maybe 170-180 million and the media would have articles claiming "LION KING ROARS AT BOX OFFICE"

It's a high probably Lion King will open very, very close to 200 million.

It IS the most popular of the Disney Renaissance movies. It has the best songs and villain. It has scenes etched in people's brains (the stampede, the circle of life, etc) that will look absolutely incredible in live action if they pull it off. And so far they look like they pull off Circle of Life, like DAMN. People complain that the lions aren't super expressive, but look at the director and special effects studio's previous film Jungle Book. The animals acted by body language and vocal performances. Shere Khan steals that film and Scar seems to have that same air to him, which is great.

The big air question about Lion King is how they bring the music sequences to life. Do they go all natural with the animals singing (like they did in Jungle Book with Bare Necessities and I Wanna Be Like You) or do the visuals suddenly jump from superrealistic to hyperstylistic?

The only other Disney remake that could be bigger is Little Mermaid.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

Lion King could still open under 200 million with maybe 170-180 million and the media would have articles claiming "LION KING ROARS AT BOX OFFICE"

It's a high probably Lion King will open very, very close to 200 million.

It IS the most popular of the Disney Renaissance movies. It has the best songs and villain. It has scenes etched in people's brains (the stampede, the circle of life, etc) that will look absolutely incredible in live action if they pull it off. And so far they look like they pull off Circle of Life, like DAMN. People complain that the lions aren't super expressive, but look at the director and special effects studio's previous film Jungle Book. The animals acted by body language and vocal performances. Shere Khan steals that film and Scar seems to have that same air to him, which is great.

The big air question about Lion King is how they bring the music sequences to life. Do they go all natural with the animals singing (like they did in Jungle Book with Bare Necessities and I Wanna Be Like You) or do the visuals suddenly jump from superrealistic to hyperstylistic?

I can’t imagine why The Little Mermaid would be bigger. 

Posted (edited)

That frozen live action movie is a certainty within 5 years now, it s the only "new" gem in their catalogue.

Tho Tangled was better but not nearly as big.

Edited by The Futurist

48 minutes ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

Nah. The Little Mermaid is a smaller Beauty and the Beast.

If you look at The Little Mermaid these days, you kinda realize that a live action version would be about 50% land 50% sea. That means the first 50 minutes or so of the live action movie will be entirely underwater, probably using the same digital effects techniques as Aquaman. Would not surprise me if it had the same visual effects studios. 

Aladdin may be hard mostly due to how implemental Robin Williams is, but Little Mermaid is probably going to be the hardest to make work, but with the right visuals, director and cast, and Little Mermaid could possibly be a fantastic Thanksgiving, Christmas, or Spring Break offering. People put down Little Mermaid but it pretty much saved Disney hand-drawn animation and is one of the movies that led Disney to the behemoth it is.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Futurist said:

That frozen live action movie is a certainty within 5 years now, it s the only "new" gem in their catalogue.

Tho Tangled was better but not nearly as big.

Tangled>>>>>>>>>Frozen

• Like 3

6 hours ago, cannastop said:

My point was that I had a hunch that The Lion King would open under $200m ow.

But here’s the thing though:

The Lion King is a beloved multi-quadrant Disney film (if not the most multi-quadrant animated film of the 90’s) which had an important impact & appeal for a general audience. It’s a Hamlet-based story but with lions in African setting. It had also all the iconic songs that everybody still sing and characters that everybody still remembers (even to this day). And the mass popularity of TLK in general never went away. It spawned two tv-shows centered on other characters like ”Timon & Pumbaa” & ”The Lion Guard”, two direct to DVD-films: One direct sequel (The Lion King 2: Simba’s Pride) & a spinoff-movie about Timon & Pumbaa (The Lion King: 1 & 1/2), video-games, guest-appearances in other shows, merchandise & even animated education-shorts and so forth. And the original movie at the time was the highest grossing animated film with over $760-770M WW. Which now today...it’s lifetime gross is $422M DOM & $968M WW.

Pokemon? It does have it’s appeal & fanbase as well. Though it’s not as big as the magnitude of TLK. Granted, like Lion King...the Pokemon franchise has it’s popularity as well and is still going with the games & anime. But the thing is....Pokemon was more dependent on it’s core audience and not everyone on the planet has seen the anime or played the games, if they aren’t diehard fans. And the first Pokemon movie only made $85M & $163M WW. That kinda shows that DP wasn’t going to be a Titanic/Avatar-sized hit that even the most optimistic users were predicting.

I can’t see that much problem for Jon Favreau’s TLK, since it has also a massive general appeal. Think of it as the ”Jurassic World” of Disney films.

I‘m really excited for the soundtrack. Will „Be Prepared“ be on it? How are Bino and Bey gonna sound together on CYFTLT? Woman-empowering Nala song and Shadowland? It’s gonna be huge. 

1 hour ago, Giesi said:

I‘m really excited for the soundtrack. Will „Be Prepared“ be on it? How are Bino and Bey gonna sound together on CYFTLT? Woman-empowering Nala song and Shadowland? It’s gonna be huge. 

Yes "Be Prepared" is in the movie. That rumor a while ago that the song wasn't in it was proven false by people who saw test screenings. It most certainly will be in the film.

I feel like The Little mermaid could easily be as terrible as Aladdin. They really need a good cast for that one. If zendaya is really going to be Ariel that could cause a huge firestorm that I don’t know if Disney wants to deal with. People already hate that Will Smith is genie. 

The Little Mermaid has the most potential of anything left to be as big as BatB DOM (and yes I'm including this movie in that statement). And the reason why is because it has a ton of pull among the female YA crowd like BatB did. Also has the most potential for interesting and compelling visuals (The Jungle Book already stole all of TLK's thunder in that department). 

15 hours ago, Hades said:

Tangled>>>>>>>>>Frozen

Moana>>Tangled>>>>>>>>>Frozen