antovolk

THE LION KING | July 19 2019 | Jon Favreau Photorealistic CGI Remake | Soulless Cash Grab to end all Soulless Cash Grabs

Disney's also the masters of course correction and fence mending. They will most likely renege on this trademark thing by the end of the week. You watch.

• Not Cool 1

Trademarking the phrase doesn't mean what a lot of you think it means. Trademarks are specifically in association with a product, the trademark will protect use of the phrase in association with this movie or its merchandise.

For example, "Christmas" and "Merry Christmas" have been trademarked literally dozens of times each, to protect various products and services associated with Christmas in some way. It doesn't stop anyone else from using those words, or from trademarking their own "Christmas" or "Merry Christmas" product, as long as it's a distinct product.

I'm aware there's potential for abuse with trademarks, but merely seeking a trademark really isn't as big a deal as it's being made out to be.

Edited by Jason
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

Trademarking the phrase doesn't mean what you a lot of you think it means

Wait, can we still say "I am going to eat an Apple" on TV or "visit the Amazon" without getting in trouble ?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Reminder on how awful Disney can be.

This reminds me of the Fine Brothers situation from nearly three years ago. Also, that Rafiki costume is terrifying.

Edited by WittyUsername

46 minutes ago, Jason said:

Trademarking the phrase doesn't mean what a lot of you think it means. Trademarks are specifically in association with a product, the trademark will protect use of the phrase in association with this movie or its merchandise.

For example, "Christmas" and "Merry Christmas" have been trademarked literally dozens of times each, to protect various products and services associated with Christmas in some way. It doesn't stop anyone else from using those words, or from trademarking their own "Christmas" or "Merry Christmas" product, as long as it's a distinct product.

I'm aware there's potential for abuse with trademarks, but merely seeking a trademark really isn't as big a deal as it's being made out to be.

That's kind of what I was thinking after reading about it. Disney doesn't want people making T-shirts with "Hakuna Matata" on it as if it were copying the phrase as referred in TLK. But it has nothing to do with stripping it away from its culture of origin.

BUT what if people from Swahili culture want to make a T-shirt with the phrase on it? What then?

1 minute ago, jedijake said:

That's kind of what I was thinking after reading about it. Disney doesn't want people making T-shirts with "Hakuna Matata" on it as if it were copying the phrase as referred in TLK. But it has nothing to do with stripping it away from its culture of origin.

BUT what if people from Swahili culture want to make a T-shirt with the phrase on it? What then?

If it says "Hakuna Matata" and has images or other quotes from the film on it, or was sold in a way that associated with it the film (e.g. buy Lion King t-shirts here!) - they'd be able to sue for trademark infringement.

If it says "Hakuna Matata" and there aren't any other associations with film on the shirt or with how it was being sold, they'd have a real hard time winning a trademark infringement case in court, and they'd know better than to try.

I'm guessing Hakuna Matata by itself on a blank T-shirt is fine. Putting that on a T-shirt with a picture of a lion, warthog or whatever other lion king animal character is not?

1 hour ago, Rebeccas said:

I'm guessing Hakuna Matata by itself on a blank T-shirt is fine. Putting that on a T-shirt with a picture of a lion, warthog or whatever other lion king animal character is not?

Yes an animal character would be pushing it, you need to be in a country where it is trademark, they trademarked it in 1994:

https://trademarks.justia.com/745/58/hakuna-74558335.html

I am not sure what is news here.

In details here:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/case-against-disney-hakuna-matata-trademark-allan-tuli/?fbclid=IwAR1Bl_nVSBZWlGjXmEyTpfJEA0yhj3o1QxI3wiqzMoDlraKKhPn2nEy-nkU

You cannot sell a t-shirt with this on it in some market:

0?e=1550707200&v=beta&t=xafqq25UsCpvxXHu

A bit like an Apple with the apple logo isn't the same as an apple with the drawing on an apple. Someone in Kenya can still have Hakuna Matata on a piece of clothing (the only think the trademark protect here) that do not create any confusion with the Disney brand.

For example:

https://www.lookhuman.com/Hakuna+Matata+T-Shirt

i do not think they are from Disney or illegal:

3600-athletic_gray-z1-t-hakuna-matata-fa

Just look how many different trademark the word Bonjour is:

https://trademarks.justia.com/search?q=Bonjour

Hundreds of different trademark use it, from Apple to coffee company and so on. Has a french speaker it never had any effect on my life I would not have known without looking and I know no one that got into trouble for writing/using Bonjour on anything in my life. For those generic term, only a very specific usage can be protected for something a company spent a lot of money developing and giving value themselve, that was not inherent to the term.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Your icon of Shaq's Kazaam reminds me that live action genies don't have a good track record.

Just now, lilmac said:

Your icon of Shaq's Kazaam reminds me that live action genies don't have a good track record.

Just imagine the new Aladdin having Shaq. Woulda gotten all the Oscars

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Just imagine the new Aladdin having Shaq. Woulda gotten all the Oscars

I would have seen that on Day 1

3 of The Lion King songs were nominated before.

I don't believe they can have a go at it again, can they?

https://www.oscars.org/oscars/ceremonies/1995

MUSIC (ORIGINAL SONG)

WINNER

THE LION KING

Can You Feel The Love Tonight in "The Lion King" Music by Elton John; Lyric by Tim Rice

NOMINEES

THE LION KING

Circle Of Life in "The Lion King" Music by Elton John; Lyric by Tim Rice

THE LION KING

Hakuna Matata in "The Lion King" Music by Elton John; Lyric by Tim Rice

4 minutes ago, lilmac said:

MUSIC (ORIGINAL SONG)

WINNER

THE LION KING

Can You Feel The Love Tonight in "The Lion King" Music by Elton John; Lyric by Tim Rice

NOMINEES

THE LION KING

THE LION KING

Bey x Bino performance next year😍

56 minutes ago, lilmac said:

MUSIC (ORIGINAL SONG)

WINNER

THE LION KING

NOMINEES

THE LION KING

THE LION KING

Academy rules are that one movie's only allowed to have two songs. They also can't use any of the songs from the first movie in the original song category. We'll probably get a new original song made for the movie that will try to get into the Oscars