antovolk

THE LION KING | WITH DIGITAL FUR TECHNOLOGY | July 19 2019 | 3rd Most Profitable Movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

Is Lion King 2019 live-action? Is Gravity sci-fi?

re the animated vs live action argument. I believe this is not purely created from a computer, iirc they shot green screens with cameras so the camera movements are "live action".

I can get that argument but if that makes it live action, then any stop motion film is live action too.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TMP said:

the wokest take: gravity is sci-fi and isn't live action.

• Haha 1
  • Not Cool 1

5 minutes ago, TMP said:

No to both. Duh

Just now, cannastop said:

Why?

Just feels like it's gonna be absolutely huge, as much as I might think it looks bad.

6 minutes ago, TMP said:

Like masterpieces like Yogi Bear and Alvin and The Chipmunks, Gravity is a live action/animated hybrid. In fact so is The Lord Of The Rings, Star Wars and the majority of the MCU films.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Like masterpieces like Yogi Bear and Alvin and The Chipmunks, Gravity is a live action/animated hybrid. In fact so is The Lord Of The Rings, Star Wars and the majority of the MCU films.

Yeah, but is it sci fi?

2 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Star Wars

Not the OT.

I was actually reading an article last night from the 2014 oscar season about Alfonso Cuaron and he was explaining gravity isn't sci fi.

(not that it should require him to tell you that. it's quite obviously not sci-fi to anyone with a brain and knows what sci fi cinema is)

Edited by Avatree

Just now, Avatree said:

I was actually reading an article last night from the 2014 oscar season about Alfonso Cuaron and he was explaining gravity isn't sci fi.

checkmate atheists 😌

I know the whole "is it live action or animation?" debate has been done to death and I don't really care what they call it (it is animated though, "photorealistic CGI" is just fancy talk for that, it's an animated film). My only problem is when you call a film animated people instantly start looking down on it because animation is "for kids." That's the only reason they're doing this. People look at comedy and horror the same way, like they're lesser genres. It's why people got all up in arms about Get Out being in the comedy genre at the Golden Globes, like you were somehow insulting the movie or not taking it seriously by viewing it as part satirical comedy. Just because something is classified as comedy/horror/animation/whatever doesn't delegitimize it as a serious movie.

Edited by MOVIEGUY
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

the point with gravity is that it just fits in best in the sci-fi section of the video store (or on netflix i guess). wouldn't be the first time a filmmaker was wrong about their own movie.

Edited by CoolioD1

2 minutes ago, MOVIEGUY said:

I know the whole "is it live action or animation?" debate has been done to death and I don't really care what they call it (it is animated though, "photorealistic CGI" is just fancy talk for that, it's an animated film). My only problem is when you call a film animated people instantly start looking down on it because animation is "for kids." That's the only reason they're doing this. People look at comedy and horror the same way, like they're lesser genres. It's why people got all up in arms about Get Out being in the comedy genre at the Golden Globes, like you were somehow insulting the movie or not taking it seriously by viewing it as part satirical comedy. Just because something is classified as comedy/horror/animation/whatever doesn't delegitimize it as a serious movie.

This, I would be more willing to ignore this likely being the same but worse as the original but the “animation is for kids” stigma is what makes me mad.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

the point with gravity is that it just fits in best in the sci-fi section of the video store (or on netflix i guess). wouldn't be the first time a filmmaker was wrong about their own movie.

It fits in there "best" only to people who are dumb, coolio. Just because maybe most people would think it's sci-fi, doesn't make it sci-fi.

If most people thought Lion King 2019 was live action with real sets and real animals, would that make it live action?

Genres are important to define correctly, otherwise lets not have genres at all.

If I was browsing the sci-fi section of HMV's DVD aisles and saw Gravity, I'd be pretty confused. I'd think I was looking in the wrong place.

2 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

This, I would be more willing to ignore this likely being the same but worse as the original but the “animation is for kids” stigma is what makes me mad.

Animation is for kids.

9JXC.gif

Just now, Avatree said:

Genres are important to define correctly, otherwise lets not have genres at all.

ah your first good idea.

As far as the animation/live action debate is concerned, even the people involved with this film don’t seem to know which one to call it, or at the very least, they’re deliberately avoiding classifying it as either or. 

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/05/lion-king-animated-or-live-action-jon-favreau

Frankly, I think it’s pretty ridiculous to suggest that this film isn’t animated, given that every single character and (presumably) all the locations were made with a computer, but I guess Disney wants this movie to be able to set itself apart from the 1994 film.