antovolk

THE LION KING | WITH DIGITAL FUR TECHNOLOGY | July 19 2019 | Jon Favreau Photorealistic CGI Remake | Soulless Cash Grab to end all Soulless Cash Grabs

2 hours ago, MOVIEGUY said:

I mean we've all heard those complaints, but you're acting like it's the same people saying both those things. I'm sure as hell not. For example I haven't seen the new Dumbo movie so I cant comment on its quality, but it's at least commendable that they're trying to do SOMETHING different with the story rather than just giving you the shiny new version of the exact same thing you knew and loved as a kid. I'll take even a little originality over a giant nostalgia-fest any day.

Well of course is not the same people in both cases (although sometimes it is). What I am trying to say is that Disney will always have complains no matter what they do with these live actions. I agree that I actually appreciate when they try to expand the story or make it something different but the remakes that have done that so far, Dumbo and Pete's Dragon, haven't really done really well at the box office. Cinderella and The Jungle Book are my favorite remakes so far because they got the essence of the original but went more in depth on the story with high success critically and did not fall into adding absurd scenes like Beauty and the Beast.

As for the new Lion King we don't know if it'll be 100% a shot by shot remake. Of course they are gonna put famous scenes from original on trailer but mainly to attract general audience. Jon Favreau directing it gives me hope it can be another Jungle Book

• Like 1

I hope the movie outgrosses Endgame to be honest.

• Like 1
  • Not Cool 1

Talk about a change of tone tacked on to the end of the trailer. Funny though lol 

Hopefully the next trailer is less doom and gloom and instead more exciting 

13 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Talk about a change of tone tacked on to the end of the trailer. Funny though lol 

Hopefully the next trailer is less doom and gloom and instead more exciting 

The tone changes were the same as Avengers: Endgame teaser trailer. Which were both fine by me.

Lol, they couldn't even give scar a dark mane?  He just looks like generic lion

13 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Lol, they couldn't even give scar a dark mane?  He just looks like generic lion

They are really botching the villains in these upcoming remakes it seems. Oddly enough, they've kinda botched all of em except Shere Khan, Maleficent to the point that they made the most evil Disney villain a sympathetic anti-hero. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

It s interesting to note that the current most photoreal CGI are NOT done by ILM which can still do amazing things obviously but now 20 companies can do amazing things in CGI, 30 even.

Edited by The Futurist

Posted (edited)

Anyone see Mogli on Netflix? While the CGI pales compared to Jungle Book and what we saw in the LK trailer, the animals have a LOT more emotion and you can see almost a humanistic type emoting going on. Heck, for that matter, Lion Witch and the Wardrobe had better emotion.

That's why I say don't worry and don't judge too harshly yet. This has gotten amazing praise by insiders. We were purposely not shown much mouth movement because either they were holding back or they are still tweeking it. 

Right now, it looks like something you can see as an IMAX 3D nature film at a museum about the Serengeti. Give it time. People changed their tune about Aladdin. They will change their tune about this too.

Oh dang @Yandereprime101189you posted about Mogli just as I was posting lol. But yeah. Mogli has emotions with a far lower budget. I expect to see emotions along with great CGI for TLK.

Edited by jedijake

Posted (edited)

The thing with Mowgli though is that they don't really work at all. Some of them stop looking like the actual animals, especially Shere Khan.

If you really think about it, just about every talking animal movie that's live action don't really try to give the animal's human-like expressions. Outside of POTM movies, but that's because monkeys can be extremely expressive.  Just look kat the ones that only really animate the mouths over real animals.

That's kinda where this Lion King movie is going for when they say it's live action, instead of stylzing the facial animations, they're going for realism, that way the animals personality will come, as it did with Jungle Book (in which I've seen people also complain the animals weren't expressive in that like they were in the animated film), in body language.

Scar just looks really freaking evil. One can say he's scrawny and starving, but he wasn't really the most healthy looking of lions in the original either. Mufasa's body language oozes royalty. You can see Simba shrinking in almost a fetal position as Scar tells him to run away.

They do seem to give a bit more facial expressions with Timon though at the end. He actually looks like he's smiling

Edited by Yandereprime101189
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

The thing with Mowgli though is that they don't really work at all. Some of them stop looking like the actual animals, especially Shere Khan.

I was suprised how well it did work. The range of emotion and expression was impressive. 

30 minutes ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

If you really think about it, just about every talking animal movie that's live action don't really try to give the animal's human-like expressions. Outside of POTM movies, but that's because monkeys can be extremely expressive.  Just look at the ones that only really animate the mouths over real animals.

That IS the argument. They spent all this money and labor just to do that gimmick. 

The expressions were impressive in Mowgli. Unfortunately, they looked to human in head/skull shape. There should be a legit balance.

I'm just bias due to how much I love the original 

Probably not the best to listen to me 😛

Posted (edited)

I don't really give a crap about them changing the story or not, it's not going to change the original movie anyway.

However the realistic take didn't really interest me, especially for a movie that features a pure animal cast. The face of most animals are not capable of making facial expression that human can relate to. I can already feel the "can  you feel the love tonight" scene is gonna be a disaster.

Edited by jf8350143

14 minutes ago, jf8350143 said:

I don't really give a crap about them changing the story or not, it's not going to change the original movie anyway.

However the realistic take didn't really interest me, especially for a movie that features a pure animal cast. The face of most animals are not capable of making facial expression that human can relate to. I can already feel the "can  you feel the love tonight" scene is gonna be a disaster.

*in an Attenborough voice*

"And here you can see two lions, in their prime, canoodling in the jungle"

"I don't know what that music in the background is, so don't ask"

When TLK was announced, I scratched my head and thought "this is just going to be another Jungle Book". Now Jungle Book was great, but I didn't see how TLK would look or feel any different. Just some different animals. Then, when discussion started, I eventually was convinced that they will have improved the facial expressions and mouth movements. I was expecting that TJB was a trial run for TLK all along.

Balou's facial movements in TJB were spot on. More photorealistic than Mogli but the same level of CGI perfection as what we saw in LK's trailer. I ASSUME that is the quality they are using or a little better but they haven't quite finished yet. (but you know what happens when you assume)

My prediction is that, with the trailer coming out 2 days before the SW9 teaser, they are not meaning this to be the deciding factor for opinions. The scenes used in the trailer were probably from months ago but it took a while to seam them all together. Isn't that how it usually works for first trailers? Thus, they hadn't refined the movements yet. That is why they hardly show any at all. Give it time. This will dazzle for sure.

4 hours ago, feasby007 said:

*in an Attenborough voice*

"And here you can see two lions, in their prime, canoodling in the jungle"

"I don't know what that music in the background is, so don't ask"

:hahaha:

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jedijake said:

The scenes used in the trailer were probably from months ago but it took a while to seam them all together. Isn't that how it usually works for first trailers? Thus, they hadn't refined the movements yet. That is why they hardly show any at all. Give it time. This will dazzle for sure.

Dunno why footage should be months old. Usually they are rendering till the last second, the same way they are doing with whole movies, tinkering till they pry it from their hands. In the digital age, editing is a breeze. They are probaby going for a more realistic look and in reality most animals just don't have very expressive faces.

Edited by Elessar

34 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Dunno why footage should be months old. Usually they are rendering till the last second, the same way they are doing with whole movies, tinkering till they pry it from their hands. In the digital age, editing is a breeze. They are probaby going for a more realistic look and in reality most animals just don't have very expressive faces.

Thing is, though, if they had it all ready then they probably would have shown us more mouth movement and even had some singing. Remember after the backlash from the 2nd Aladdin teaser, they blasted out with the full trailer along with the music. Makes me think that if they were confident that this was the true end product, they'd have shown us more talking and even some singing.

And if they want to go with a more "realistic" look, we have to remember that these are animals and animals don't talk in real life. So a what does a "more realistic" look mean? If they were going with a true realistic look then the animals wouldn't talk at all and certainly not sing.

4 minutes ago, jedijake said:

And if they want to go with a more "realistic" look, we have to remember that these are animals and animals don't talk in real life. So a what does a "more realistic" look mean? If they were going with a true realistic look then the animals wouldn't talk at all and certainly not sing.

They hired some voice actors to do the animal noises while the celebs throw in their lines after. It's the new normal for subtitles. 

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, jf8350143 said:

I think that problem with photo-realism is this: animated animals act a lot like humans cause animated medium allows for it. so you have many animated animals sit like humans, walk on 2 legs, make human gestures and faces and, yes, they speak English. 

However, with photo-realistic animals, they tend to discard the human aspect of their acting save for speaking English. which is weird to some but obviously worked with JB. 

Take this example:

ZQdzlUD.gif

animals clearly don't walk like real animals and the front one walks like a human

Ej2orgG.gif

that's missing from live action which discarded human traits and goes for documentary style...except when they talk. 

so I can see why some people don't think that works but I think that GA will be amazed enough. 

Edited by Valonqar