antovolk

THE LION KING | WITH DIGITAL FUR TECHNOLOGY | July 19 2019 | Jon Favreau Photorealistic CGI Remake | Soulless Cash Grab to end all Soulless Cash Grabs

When TLK was announced, I scratched my head and thought "this is just going to be another Jungle Book". Now Jungle Book was great, but I didn't see how TLK would look or feel any different. Just some different animals. Then, when discussion started, I eventually was convinced that they will have improved the facial expressions and mouth movements. I was expecting that TJB was a trial run for TLK all along.

Balou's facial movements in TJB were spot on. More photorealistic than Mogli but the same level of CGI perfection as what we saw in LK's trailer. I ASSUME that is the quality they are using or a little better but they haven't quite finished yet. (but you know what happens when you assume)

My prediction is that, with the trailer coming out 2 days before the SW9 teaser, they are not meaning this to be the deciding factor for opinions. The scenes used in the trailer were probably from months ago but it took a while to seam them all together. Isn't that how it usually works for first trailers? Thus, they hadn't refined the movements yet. That is why they hardly show any at all. Give it time. This will dazzle for sure.

4 hours ago, feasby007 said:

*in an Attenborough voice*

"And here you can see two lions, in their prime, canoodling in the jungle"

"I don't know what that music in the background is, so don't ask"

:hahaha:

1 hour ago, jedijake said:

The scenes used in the trailer were probably from months ago but it took a while to seam them all together. Isn't that how it usually works for first trailers? Thus, they hadn't refined the movements yet. That is why they hardly show any at all. Give it time. This will dazzle for sure.

Dunno why footage should be months old. Usually they are rendering till the last second, the same way they are doing with whole movies, tinkering till they pry it from their hands. In the digital age, editing is a breeze. They are probaby going for a more realistic look and in reality most animals just don't have very expressive faces.

Edited by Elessar

34 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Dunno why footage should be months old. Usually they are rendering till the last second, the same way they are doing with whole movies, tinkering till they pry it from their hands. In the digital age, editing is a breeze. They are probaby going for a more realistic look and in reality most animals just don't have very expressive faces.

Thing is, though, if they had it all ready then they probably would have shown us more mouth movement and even had some singing. Remember after the backlash from the 2nd Aladdin teaser, they blasted out with the full trailer along with the music. Makes me think that if they were confident that this was the true end product, they'd have shown us more talking and even some singing.

And if they want to go with a more "realistic" look, we have to remember that these are animals and animals don't talk in real life. So a what does a "more realistic" look mean? If they were going with a true realistic look then the animals wouldn't talk at all and certainly not sing.

4 minutes ago, jedijake said:

And if they want to go with a more "realistic" look, we have to remember that these are animals and animals don't talk in real life. So a what does a "more realistic" look mean? If they were going with a true realistic look then the animals wouldn't talk at all and certainly not sing.

They hired some voice actors to do the animal noises while the celebs throw in their lines after. It's the new normal for subtitles. 

6 hours ago, jf8350143 said:

I don't really give a crap about them changing the story or not, it's not going to change the original movie anyway.

However the realistic take didn't really interest me, especially for a movie that features a pure animal cast. The face of most animals are not capable of making facial expression that human can relate to. I can already feel the "can  you feel the love tonight" scene is gonna be a disaster.

I think that problem with photo-realism is this: animated animals act a lot like humans cause animated medium allows for it. so you have many animated animals sit like humans, walk on 2 legs, make human gestures and faces and, yes, they speak English. 

However, with photo-realistic animals, they tend to discard the human aspect of their acting save for speaking English. which is weird to some but obviously worked with JB. 

Take this example:

ZQdzlUD.gif

animals clearly don't walk like real animals and the front one walks like a human

Ej2orgG.gif

that's missing from live action which discarded human traits and goes for documentary style...except when they talk. 

so I can see why some people don't think that works but I think that GA will be amazed enough. 

Edited by Valonqar

15 hours ago, scabab said:

I hope the movie outgrosses Endgame to be honest.

:hahaha::hahaha::hahaha::hahaha:

On 4/10/2019 at 2:17 PM, pepper83 said:

Looks like a 1:1 copy with zero charm. Hard pass. 

This. :bravo:

TLK is classic, but this looks horrible and it's the most unneeded remake of all time.

Opening weekend: $200-210 mln

Domestic: $620-640 mln

Worldwide: $1.3-1.5B

But I hope it will underperform. :P 

14 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Thing is, though, if they had it all ready then they probably would have shown us more mouth movement and even had some singing. Remember after the backlash from the 2nd Aladdin teaser, they blasted out with the full trailer along with the music. Makes me think that if they were confident that this was the true end product, they'd have shown us more talking and even some singing.

Movie is coming out in 3 months, if they still don't have much to show the production is in trouble. My guess is they want to minimize any possible backlash, that's why the trailer is short of animals talking, people are darn fickle. Or the trailer just happened to turn out that way. Just had a look at the Jungle Book trailer, we should expect something like that.

Of course they have to bend reality somewhat because obviously animals don't talk. What i meant was they still look like real animals and not some crossbreeds.

12 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

@ThomasNicole do you have a trailer view count set up for TLK?

I don’t, i’m busy with college this week and i didn’t find time enough to track the trailer views hahah

22 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Movie is coming out in 3 months, if they still don't have much to show the production is in trouble. My guess is they want to minimize any possible backlash, that's why the trailer is short of animals talking, people are darn fickle. Or the trailer just happened to turn out that way. Just had a look at the Jungle Book trailer, we should expect something like that.

Of course they have to bend reality somewhat because obviously animals don't talk. What i meant was they still look like real animals and not some crossbreeds.

Every bit of insider press for this movie has been absolutely ecstatic. I doubt they are worried. If anything, there's some touch up here and there (Disney usually works until the last minute) and/or want to keep the curtain closed as long as possible until closer to release or the actual release to wow people.

And as far as trailer view count, I find it odd that they'd release THIS trailer ony 2 days before SW9's teaser storms youtube.

what has Pikachu got to do with Lion King? and lol at so many hot takes as if people didn't see Jungle Book by Favreau. all these "they didn't show talking in a trailer, they are afraid"  - I'm surrounded by idiots to quote some movie. 

12 minutes ago, InVy said:

what has Pikachu got to do with Lion King? and lol at so many hot takes as if people didn't see Jungle Book by Favreau. all these "they didn't show talking in a trailer, they are afraid"  - I'm surrounded by idiots to quote some movie. 

Again, I wasn’t trying to bring up Pikachu. I was just posting the thread and extracted bits from it about facial expression. I just wanted to give the link source.

Of course they’ll talk, everyone knows that, and everyone knows how good Jungle Book looked. It’s just that there’s certain things the photoreal version won’t capture. Did you even read what they were trying to say?

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord

2 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Of course they’ll talk, everyone knows that, and everyone knows how good Jungle Book looked. It’s just that there’s certain things the photoreal version won’t capture.

well, I remember not liking the talking scene in a cave in Jungle Book trailer but in a movie it looked great. people  dissecting this trailer when it mostly just showed most iconic scenes without context are doing the most. Jungle Book made 1 billion, so you are either on board with such take on an animated movie or not. 

anyway I want to hear John Oliver as Zazu lol. they really saved the best for last.

I love the overreactions about the "lack of acting so far" and the "lack of emoting shown! ARe they trying to hide something???" and the overactive speculating to justify detractors' own self-created narratives. Remember when people assumed that Marvel and DC were hiding something when the first few trailers of Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel featured almost no dialogue (or very little dialogue) from the lead actresses, and how so many people asked, "are they trying to hide less-than-competent performances??? It's so weird that we barely hear anything in those trailers from the mouths of the lead actresses" Then remember how one of Wonder Woman's best loved elements ended up being Gal Gadot's performance and how Brie Larson's performance ended up being solid and competent? 

I remember.

As usual, people speculate too much about things that are not there.

DIsney is not a baby studio.

TLK will be fine, will be the # 1 movie of 2019, and will get solid reviews.

10 minutes ago, InVy said:

well, I remember not liking the talking scene in a cave in Jungle Book trailer but in a movie it looked great. people  dissecting this trailer when it mostly just showed most iconic scenes without context are doing the most. Jungle Book made 1 billion, so you are either on board with such take on an animated movie or not. 

anyway I want to hear John Oliver as Zazu lol. they really saved the best for last.

I understand the final product will look better and obviously explode at the box office I am only just talking artistic wise. In my opinion, a bear has more versatile movement than a lion to do photo realism and original The Jungle Book was way less cartoony than The Lion King was.

To add reference, the same user from before bought up a good point:

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord

4 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I understand the final product will look better and obviously explode at the box office I am only just talking artistic wise. In my opinion, a bear has more versatile movement than a lion to do photo realism and original The Jungle Book was way less cartoony than The Lion King was.

I'm not talking about box office, I'm talking about a fact that many people saw Jungle Book (and loved it) but now some pretend they don't remember it exists. Wait, people don't like Simba as cub in this? For real? I thought he looked amazing. And the grown-up version was boring in 1994 version too. To me original Jungle Book was also very cartoony. Obviously in Lion King Favreau won't have the same freedom but even in trailer some of the dialogue seems to be changed.

3 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Ej2orgG.gif

If u look closely at their mouths, it looks like they're singing

• Like 1