Jump to content
antovolk

THE LION KING | WITH DIGITAL FUR TECHNOLOGY | July 19 2019 | Jon Favreau Photorealistic CGI Remake | Soulless Cash Grab to end all Soulless Cash Grabs

Recommended Posts

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hIjicwrpgNM

 

^ I feel this is an interesting video for those who want to watch that explains how this film is kind and it’s own thing, neither animated (although all the character models and sets are made in a game engine) nor live action (although this is filmed using cameras and even able to switch to IMAX for certain shots.)

 

Call it whatever you want but I think this technology is going to be game changing for film going forward and allow for some really cool ideas to be made in the future, so even if the film sucks (I personally have loved a lot of what has been shown so far) at least we have taken a step forward in what can be achieved in the future. 

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Jamiem said:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hIjicwrpgNM

 

^ I feel this is an interesting video for those who want to watch that explains how this film is kind and it’s own thing, neither animated (although all the character models and sets are made in a game engine) nor live action (although this is filmed using cameras and even able to switch to IMAX for certain shots.)

 

Call it whatever you want but I think this technology is going to be game changing for film going forward and allow for some really cool ideas to be made in the future, so even if the film sucks (I personally have loved a lot of what has been shown so far) at least we have taken a step forward in what can be achieved in the future. 

 

it's animated. Yes uses live action filmmaking style but end of the day it's an animated film

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a live-action movie filmed in a computer-generated reality (or virtual reality). The concepts is a good twist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

More footage of Mufasa in this one, including Simba tackling Mufasa and Mufasa's face showing....LE GASP, EMOTION!!!!

 

Also John Oliver Zazu yelping.

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That trailer is significantly better than the official one from April, how does Disney keep stuffing their marketing up? It's also better than the "Come Home" TV spot which further perpetuates the idea that the remake is an emotionless cash grab. The official trailer should have shown that level of emotion and the talking voices, not just the moody scenes we got.

 

Hopefully they ramp up the marketing now and show more footage like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They could just have literally shown the Circle of Life trailer only and people would have given it a 200 million opening weekend just from the name alone.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

 

More footage of Mufasa in this one, including Simba tackling Mufasa and Mufasa's face showing....LE GASP, EMOTION!!!!

 

Also John Oliver Zazu yelping.

Why are the Japanese trailers called the "international" ones?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

 

More footage of Mufasa in this one, including Simba tackling Mufasa and Mufasa's face showing....LE GASP, EMOTION!!!!

 

Also John Oliver Zazu yelping.

 

The quality on this was a little iffy for me, so I found the original here: https://comicbook.com/movies/2019/06/05/lion-king-disney-international-trailer/

 

The more I see of characters interacting with each other, the more impressed I am. It is incredible what they can do in a totally CGI environment. I am cautiously optimistic for this.

 

Peace,

Mike

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The original trailer for the original Lion King was literally just The Circle of Life song and that was perfect. Still one of my favorite trailers ever.

 

Not having Jeremy Irons voicing Scar while Mufasa keeps his voice is jarring. Especially since Jeremy Irons did such fantastic and memorable voice work. Reminds me of the direct to video sequels Disney used to do with different voice actors, even as a kid I couldn’t stand those.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The lack of any emotion on young Simba continued to bother me.

 

That and Pumbaa creeped me out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

 

More footage of Mufasa in this one, including Simba tackling Mufasa and Mufasa's face showing....LE GASP, EMOTION!!!!

 

Also John Oliver Zazu yelping.

Sorry, but I don't see it. Thus far it looks like the voice work will have to do all the emotional heavy lifting.

 

That Simba sneeze was cute tho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

The original trailer for the original Lion King was literally just The Circle of Life song and that was perfect. Still one of my favorite trailers ever.

 

Not having Jeremy Irons voicing Scar while Mufasa keeps his voice is jarring. Especially since Jeremy Irons did such fantastic and memorable voice work. Reminds me of the direct to video sequels Disney used to do with different voice actors, even as a kid I couldn’t stand those.

I thought for The Lion King II they got everyone back except Rowan Atkinson. Why is Mr. Bean too big for The Lion King?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I thought for The Lion King II they got everyone back except Rowan Atkinson. Why is Mr. Bean too big for The Lion King?

mr bean GIF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2019 at 11:17 PM, Jamiem said:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hIjicwrpgNM

 

^ I feel this is an interesting video for those who want to watch that explains how this film is kind and it’s own thing, neither animated (although all the character models and sets are made in a game engine) nor live action (although this is filmed using cameras and even able to switch to IMAX for certain shots.)

 

Call it whatever you want but I think this technology is going to be game changing for film going forward and allow for some really cool ideas to be made in the future, so even if the film sucks (I personally have loved a lot of what has been shown so far) at least we have taken a step forward in what can be achieved in the future. 

It's a continuation of what Cameron did 10 years ago on Avatar.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Elessar said:

It's a continuation of what Cameron did 10 years ago on Avatar.

There was even an interview where JF basically lauded Jim. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, cannastop said:

I thought for The Lion King II they got everyone back except Rowan Atkinson. Why is Mr. Bean too big for The Lion King?

you know actors can choose what they want to do right, if someone doesn't want to do a home video movie then that doesn't mean they're "better" than it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Elessar said:

It's a continuation of what Cameron did 10 years ago on Avatar.

Favreau mentions that in the video that it was a continuation of the technology that was used in Avatar and Jungle Book 2016 but this is the first time the whole movie is done without human characters involved so no need to interact with the real world. 

 

I think that James Cameron is an underrated pioneer of film technology and deserves the same attention that Lucas and Spielberg have gotten to be honest, especially what he was able to do with The Terminator on such a small budget. Hopefully Favreau also gets to that level throughout his career I’d say he is a pretty close with what he has done so far. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It's really hard to classify this as either live action or computer animated. It's clearly the later but it's going for realism more than any other computer animated movie so. . . world's biggest semi-VR Disney remake? 

Edited by Yandereprime101189

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, WhiteWings said:

Sorry, but I don't see it. Thus far it looks like the voice work will have to do all the emotional heavy lifting.

 

That Simba sneeze was cute tho.

tumblr_psngke2th61w1t2ixo4_540.gif

tumblr_psngke2th61w1t2ixo5_540.gif

 

Mufasa is literally laughing at this point in the trailer. It could even be considered that he's smiling when doing so.

Edited by Yandereprime101189
  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

tumblr_psngke2th61w1t2ixo4_540.gif

tumblr_psngke2th61w1t2ixo5_540.gif

 

Mufasa is literally laughing at this point in the trailer. It could even be considered that he's smiling when doing so.

This reminds me of how far we’ve come, I remember watching King Kong back in 2005 and I couldn’t believe how realistic they were able to realize him, the fur and facial expressions, acting together with a real human. But these GIFs above are on another level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.