antovolk

THE LION KING | WITH DIGITAL FUR TECHNOLOGY | July 19 2019 | Jon Favreau Photorealistic CGI Remake | Soulless Cash Grab to end all Soulless Cash Grabs

47 minutes ago, FlashMaster659 said:

This is getting put on a buttload of screens at one of the big local AMCs

Screen-Shot-2019-06-20-at-10-12-17-AM

Nothing for my theater yet, but I’m curious how many it ends up with. I’m putting the target at 30 which is the same number Captain Marvel had. 

Concerning dates tickets go on sale, there was a leak to reddit earlier in the year that's been accurate so far and it claimed this coming Wed for when ticket sales start, IIRC.  Might be off by a day or two though and be Mon, sure.

As for number of showings locally, only have Cinemark and Cinema West showings up at the moment.  Overall the initial slate looks to be TS4 sized or slightly larger, depending on the amount of screens available.  Probably call it 110 to 115 percent of TS4 screens overall when the first tickets go on sale.

TS4 had/has a lot of screens here, so that's actually a very healthy start.  Be interesting to see the initial demand compared to other recent family films.

• Like 3

They should release tickets on sale with the full Circle of Life sequence. If that scene is as mind blowing as people have said, hype would go into the stratosphere.

are they including "He lives in You" Like they did in the broadway version? 

5 hours ago, Andy said:

Don't know if it was shown in previous teaser-trailers, but in this one i noticed there's the scene where adult Simba hears Muufasa's voice from the sky and he appears in the clouds. Loved that scene. 

It’s neat that both ”A Whole New World” from Aladdin & ”Can You Feel The Love Tonight” from The Lion King, are some of Disney’s most iconic love songs.

Which is why we also hear Elton John’s take of the latter song in the end credits of the original 1994 film.

Ahh Tough competition for the lion King in Japan ... Japanese animated movie Dragon Quest Your Story is all set to release on the 2nd of august , just a week before TLK arrives ....

• ...wtf 1

On 6/20/2019 at 9:01 AM, jedijake said:

They REALLY won't show us the animal's emotions or mouth movements STILL to this day. Either they are holding back to WOW us or they, um, don't want to show it for some reason.

Maybe the animation still needs to be tweaked some more, and they don't want to embarrass themselves in public like they did with the initial live-action Aladdin trailer and that pathetic-looking Genie.

On 6/20/2019 at 12:10 PM, CoolioD1 said:

Dunno if this has been posted here yet but this article on how the movie was directed using VR is pretty cool.

https://www.wired.com/story/disney-new-lion-king-vr-fueled-future-cinema/

Oh, did they play the original movie in those to copy it?

20 hours ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

I'm still kinda pissed off with them not including "Be Prepared" in the movie.

That's pretty dumb, which doesn't surprise me one bit.

17 minutes ago, Melvin Frohike said:

Oh, did they play the original movie in those to copy it?

yeah lol this movie's just a dumb copy. if you're gonna do it the same shot for shot what's the point amirite?

18 minutes ago, Melvin Frohike said:

That's pretty dumb, which doesn't surprise me one bit.

wait they changed something? that's fucked up! why aren't they keeping it the same????

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

I'm still kinda pissed off with them not including "Be Prepared" in the movie.

Do we officially know which songs are or are not in the film? And I mean from the folks making the film and not folks leaking info from seeing it before it releases.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Wasn't it later reported that Be Prepared was in the film?

Edit: A DisInsider report claimed it was, at least.

Edit 2: Entertainment Weekly is claiming it as well:

Favreau earmarked the film’s music as its other major arena ripe for renewal. With all five songs from the 1994 film (including “Be Prepared” and “I Just Can’t Wait to Be King”) featured again, he hoped to spark collaborative magic by reuniting the original music team of Zimmer, John, Rice, and arranger Lebo M. to revisit their work alongside the new influences of Childish Gambino and Mrs. Carter. 

https://ew.com/movies/2019/04/25/the-lion-king-cover-story/

Edited by cookie
  • Thanks 2

On 6/20/2019 at 5:23 PM, Sunny Max said:

Ahh Tough competition for the lion King in Japan ... Japanese animated movie Dragon Quest Your Story is all set to release on the 2nd of august , just a week before TLK arrives ....

That shit is going to flop.

But I do love Dragon Quest.

6 minutes ago, cannastop said:

That shit is going to flop.

But I do love Dragon Quest.

hahahha :D  one of the most famous anime in Japan ... 

11 minutes ago, Sunny Max said:

So was Code Geass, and that grossed under $10 million. Outside of the super established franchises like Conan, Doraemon, etc, anime movies surprisingly don't gross that much in Japan. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sunny Max said:

It's a video game series like Final Fantasy, but that was a bomb too.

The most it could do is like half of a Dragon Ball Z movie, which shares the same artist in Akira Toriyama.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

So was Code Geass, and that grossed under $10 million. Outside of the super established franchises like Conan, Doraemon, etc, anime movies surprisingly don't gross that much in Japan. 

Not entirely true. What about Ghibli, Hosoda and Shinkai?