antovolk

THE LION KING | WITH DIGITAL FUR TECHNOLOGY | July 19 2019 | Jon Favreau Photorealistic CGI Remake | Soulless Cash Grab to end all Soulless Cash Grabs

33 minutes ago, shayhiri said:

That is the old '94 movie. It is indeed quite unremarkable.

So it is time for the NEW Lion King to take its rightful place as the ultimate telling of this simple animated story!! Live animals speaking and emoting - where can you get that??!! It is history in the making - BO included.

Live animals speaking? You can’t get that anywhere. Especially not with this 3D-CGI animated film.

also, if Lion King ‘94 is a retelling of Kimba, isn’t this just a retelling squared?

I can find live action animals emoting at my local zoo.

Your logic, as ever, is flawless. Absolutely freaking flawless.

5 hours ago, infamous5445 said:

Who the hell are you?

I’m pretty sure @shayhiri is Donald Trump’s secret BoT account. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, shayhiri said:

That is the old '94 movie. It is indeed quite unremarkable.

So it is time for the NEW Lion King to take its rightful place as the ultimate telling of this simple animated story!! Live animals speaking and emoting - where can you get that??!! It is history in the making - BO included.

Have you seen A Dog's Journey?

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, stealthyfrog said:

Have you seen A Dog's Journey?

No, dog movies are only a thing in America.

I sometimes hear about them, and wonder who makes them - because they never get imported where I live.

And even if they were, I wouldn't watch them. I prefer human actors and bigger stories.

PS: I watch funny animals on YouTube though. :) This would be a better suited format for them.

tenor.gif

Edited by shayhiri
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, shayhiri said:

No, dog movies are only a thing in America.

I sometimes hear about them, and wonder who makes them - because they never get imported where I live.

And even if they were, I wouldn't watch them. I prefer human actors and bigger stories.

Whoops, didn't catch the emoting and speaking part. I guess there's Jungle Book (also Favreau X Disney). Aslan in Chronicles of Narnia still holds up, though his role was kind of small

Posted (edited)

Yeah, Jungle Book is really good - that is exactly why it is so pathetically ridiculous to expect anything less than Lion King, like many forum dudes did in public here and elsewhere.

On the contrary, TLK will be at least two or three TIMES better than TJB. And five times better than the 90ies flick with hand-drawn lions. Shay guaranteed. :)

Edited by shayhiri
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Aladdin isn’t doing $1.1 billion. 

Anyway, I thought Shayhiri hated TLK for being a rip-off of Kimba? 

Aladdin is hitting closer to 1.1B than what most people here predicted. It'll probably end around the ~950M mark at its current rate.

2 hours ago, shayhiri said:

Yeah, Jungle Book is really good - that is exactly why it is so pathetically ridiculous to expect anything less than Lion King, like many forum dudes did in public here and elsewhere.

On the contrary, TLK will be at least two or three TIMES better than TJB. And five times better than the 90ies flick with hand-drawn lions. Shay guaranteed. :)

Three times better?? There's optimism but that seems a bit too crazy 😅

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Terraforce said:

Three times better?? There's optimism but that seems a bit too crazy 😅

I mean quality (better), not BO (more profitable).

I think it is pretty clear why it can ONLY be much better:

1. TJB was more than three years ago. That is ENORMOUS amount of time, if measured in experience gained and the constant advancement in the CGI art.

2. Even if I often mock the simplicity of the extremely overhyped '94 movie - it is still much, much better than what TJB had to work with as a source for the script. TLK at least has the potential for feeling epic, to be an archetypal 4 quadrant story. TJB could never be that - with such script and story it is little more than little kids animation. I still watched it 4 or 5 times, but it was only because of the beautiful images and music - of which we will have tons more in TLK anyway.

3. As Aladdin mercilessly demonstrated to all little weird doubters, Disney can and WILL pull their weight to make the absolute best of these adaptations, improving the animated source in any possible way. This is bound to happen here too.

Edited by shayhiri

*sigh*

On one hand, it's kinda nice that they're calling the new film animation. 

On the other, it also shows how the new film is just... worse than the original. And not even from the photo-realistic part (though that does have an effect.) It's just that about every single shot composition is worse.

First shot: The sunrise. In the original, the sun is centered, and as it rises, the ripple of heat behind the clouds gives a sense of scale and about the environment. The new one has a smaller sun, it's off to the side, is dwarfed by the trees, and the clouds are hazy, not distinct.

Second shot: An antelope raises its head. In the original, it's a dramatic sweep across the frame, drawing the viewer's attention in the direction of the antelope's sight. New film has an off-screen antelope raise its head past the camera real quick, and then a further one back raises its head. The focus is on the antelopes, not on their attention.

Third shot: Kilimanjaro. The original has the mountain expansive, with its slopes extending past the edge of the screen, so that it feels vast. The haze and darkness at its base, where the elephants walk, is strongly contrasted with the sunlight at its peak, so you also get a sense of the size. And the elephants stand out from the haze. The new shot is further back, where you can see where the slopes meet the plains. There isn't a strong contrast to get a feel of the height, and the animals are lost in the brown of the base.

Fourth shot: The birds. Hoo, boy. The original is a masterpiece shot. The camera pans very slowly, and you have distinct layers to the birds, which are moving along the diagonal, there's a sense of layers and scale and height over the wetlands. The new one switches up the movement to the vertical, with the camera also moving more to fall in behind the birds, which only have a single layer.

Fifth shot: The celebration. In the original, the dominant feature is Pride Rock. The animals are clearly celebrating the birth of Simba. The camera is static. The one one is a panning shot, showing all the animals jumping about, but the focus of their celebration is lost.

Sixth shot: The footprint. They don't show the original, but I think this was basically the same? 

Seventh shot: The wildebeest stampede. The original (again) has the movement largely along the diagonal. The camera pans above the wildebeests to show the canyon and gives you a sense of how many their are, and how much danger they are to anything in their path. This gives a focus on Simba, who we know is down the canyon. The new one follows along with the wildebeests, dropping into a Star Wars trench run shot, which gives the effect of being a wildebeest. The focus isn't on the scale of the danger or what the danger is to.

Eighth shot: The reveal of Pride Rock. This one is admittedly close, though why they don't have Zazu's dramatic sweep across the frame is a huge question mark. Also the new Pride Rock doesn't feel nearly as dramatic and imposing as the original. Plus, compare the skies: The original has strong contrasts the blue of the sky with the warm colors reflecting off the clouds and their darker shadows. The new one just looks overcast.

Ninth shot: Rafiki. There's a nice closeup in the original, traded for a more medium shot in the new one.

Tenth shot: Simba in Sarabi's arms. The original gave a sense of scale. Simba is small. In the new one, he dominates the frame, and you can't really tell what he's on. Plus, here I think the difference of style really comes into play with the eyes. The original shows Simba's curiosity and wonder at the new world. The new one doesn't.

Eleventh shot: Rafiki bursting the anointment. In the original, he cracks open a fruit, which is framed by the sun. The new one has him ripping apart a root, with no sun. 

Twelfth shot: Rafiki anointing Simba. You can actually see what he's doing in the original. There's a clear red line. Plus, the movement of his finger is to the left, which leaves a clear view of what's being shown. The new one has the... dust lost against Simba's fur, and Rafiki's movement is to the right, which takes the focus away.

Thirteenth shot: Animals looking up on Pride Rock as Rafiki brings Simba up. This one is close.

Fourteenth shot: Rafiki presenting Simba. Again close, although the original has Simba fully in the screen for a slow wraparound shot, while the new one is empty at first and the focus is on the movement of thrusting him forward.

Fifteenth shot: Simba, displayed, looking down at the animals. The original has a more dramatic sweep to the shot, It starts close to behind and then moves down and to the left so that you see not only the animals, but also the vastness of the Pridelands. It's showing that Simba isn't only going to be king of the inhabitants, but also the land itself. The new one reverses the camera movement and only shows the animals.

Sixteenth shot: Animals bowing. Close, but the original has the animals as distinct and individual, where the new one they feel more jumbled up.

Seventeenth shot: Farther back, showing Rafiki presenting Simba, the animals bowing, and Pride Rock. Again, the new Pride Rock feels lesser, stubbier. But perhaps the biggest issue is where the light is coming from. In the original it's coming from above, breaking through the clouds. In the new one, it's down lower, and the sun is clearly just to the left of the screen. Also the new one feels like showing more of the sky is better than showing more of the animals on the ground.

There are things I am excited for the new one. I really like the cast. Some of the songs they could add are really good. And if there are new songs, with Lebo M, Elton John, Tim Rice, and Hans Zimmer teaming up again, that's something to be really excited about.

But the look of it is so much... less epic than the original. The focus is weird at times, the shots are less dramatic. It feels more like a technical showcase of the computer animation technology than an attempt to really make it grand.

As the ad shows, they're basically doing a shot-for-shot remake... but they're doing all the shots wrong.

• Like 7
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 2
  • Not Cool 2

I think if people just ACCEPTED this for what it is, they'd enjoy it much more.

Instead, people are too busy comparing it to the original because "OH MY GOD THERE ARE NO EXPRESSIONS, NO COLOR, IT'S TOO REALISTIC".

It makes zero sense to me. As a big fan of the original, I see nothing wrong with this. The original will always be there. It's cool to see what it look s like with such technology. To me, it's breathtaking. Some of the shots just have me in awe but I guess you can't please everyone lol

• Like 11
  • Not Cool 1

Posted (edited)

You guys are worshiping a false idol. Simba is not royalty. 

BEHOLD! THE TRUE LION KING!!!

Edited by LOGAN'sLuckyRun
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ElsaRoc said:

*sigh*

On one hand, it's kinda nice that they're calling the new film animation. 

On the other, it also shows how the new film is just... worse than the original. And not even from the photo-realistic part (though that does have an effect.) It's just that about every single shot composition is worse.

First shot: The sunrise. In the original, the sun is centered, and as it rises, the ripple of heat behind the clouds gives a sense of scale and about the environment. The new one has a smaller sun, it's off to the side, is dwarfed by the trees, and the clouds are hazy, not distinct.

Second shot: An antelope raises its head. In the original, it's a dramatic sweep across the frame, drawing the viewer's attention in the direction of the antelope's sight. New film has an off-screen antelope raise its head past the camera real quick, and then a further one back raises its head. The focus is on the antelopes, not on their attention.

Third shot: Kilimanjaro. The original has the mountain expansive, with its slopes extending past the edge of the screen, so that it feels vast. The haze and darkness at its base, where the elephants walk, is strongly contrasted with the sunlight at its peak, so you also get a sense of the size. And the elephants stand out from the haze. The new shot is further back, where you can see where the slopes meet the plains. There isn't a strong contrast to get a feel of the height, and the animals are lost in the brown of the base.

Fourth shot: The birds. Hoo, boy. The original is a masterpiece shot. The camera pans very slowly, and you have distinct layers to the birds, which are moving along the diagonal, there's a sense of layers and scale and height over the wetlands. The new one switches up the movement to the vertical, with the camera also moving more to fall in behind the birds, which only have a single layer.

Fifth shot: The celebration. In the original, the dominant feature is Pride Rock. The animals are clearly celebrating the birth of Simba. The camera is static. The one one is a panning shot, showing all the animals jumping about, but the focus of their celebration is lost.

Sixth shot: The footprint. They don't show the original, but I think this was basically the same? 

Seventh shot: The wildebeest stampede. The original (again) has the movement largely along the diagonal. The camera pans above the wildebeests to show the canyon and gives you a sense of how many their are, and how much danger they are to anything in their path. This gives a focus on Simba, who we know is down the canyon. The new one follows along with the wildebeests, dropping into a Star Wars trench run shot, which gives the effect of being a wildebeest. The focus isn't on the scale of the danger or what the danger is to.

Eighth shot: The reveal of Pride Rock. This one is admittedly close, though why they don't have Zazu's dramatic sweep across the frame is a huge question mark. Also the new Pride Rock doesn't feel nearly as dramatic and imposing as the original. Plus, compare the skies: The original has strong contrasts the blue of the sky with the warm colors reflecting off the clouds and their darker shadows. The new one just looks overcast.

Ninth shot: Rafiki. There's a nice closeup in the original, traded for a more medium shot in the new one.

Tenth shot: Simba in Sarabi's arms. The original gave a sense of scale. Simba is small. In the new one, he dominates the frame, and you can't really tell what he's on. Plus, here I think the difference of style really comes into play with the eyes. The original shows Simba's curiosity and wonder at the new world. The new one doesn't.

Eleventh shot: Rafiki bursting the anointment. In the original, he cracks open a fruit, which is framed by the sun. The new one has him ripping apart a root, with no sun. 

Twelfth shot: Rafiki anointing Simba. You can actually see what he's doing in the original. There's a clear red line. Plus, the movement of his finger is to the left, which leaves a clear view of what's being shown. The new one has the... dust lost against Simba's fur, and Rafiki's movement is to the right, which takes the focus away.

Thirteenth shot: Animals looking up on Pride Rock as Rafiki brings Simba up. This one is close.

Fourteenth shot: Rafiki presenting Simba. Again close, although the original has Simba fully in the screen for a slow wraparound shot, while the new one is empty at first and the focus is on the movement of thrusting him forward.

Fifteenth shot: Simba, displayed, looking down at the animals. The original has a more dramatic sweep to the shot, It starts close to behind and then moves down and to the left so that you see not only the animals, but also the vastness of the Pridelands. It's showing that Simba isn't only going to be king of the inhabitants, but also the land itself. The new one reverses the camera movement and only shows the animals.

Sixteenth shot: Animals bowing. Close, but the original has the animals as distinct and individual, where the new one they feel more jumbled up.

Seventeenth shot: Farther back, showing Rafiki presenting Simba, the animals bowing, and Pride Rock. Again, the new Pride Rock feels lesser, stubbier. But perhaps the biggest issue is where the light is coming from. In the original it's coming from above, breaking through the clouds. In the new one, it's down lower, and the sun is clearly just to the left of the screen. Also the new one feels like showing more of the sky is better than showing more of the animals on the ground.

There are things I am excited for the new one. I really like the cast. Some of the songs they could add are really good. And if there are new songs, with Lebo M, Elton John, Tim Rice, and Hans Zimmer teaming up again, that's something to be really excited about.

But the look of it is so much... less epic than the original. The focus is weird at times, the shots are less dramatic. It feels more like a technical showcase of the computer animation technology than an attempt to really make it grand.

As the ad shows, they're basically doing a shot-for-shot remake... but they're doing all the shots wrong.

That's just too much nitpicking. I have an advice for you: don't watch it. You seem to have put so much effort in writing that comment when it seems like you really hate the new one. Just don't bother.

Edited by UserHN

1 hour ago, UserHN said:

That's just too much nitpicking. I have an advice for you: don't watch it. You seem to have put so much effort in writing that comment when it seems like you really hate the new one. Just don't bother.

Agree. Sit at home and complain while the rest of the world is at the theater enjoying themselves. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Amorphous said:

I think if people just ACCEPTED this for what it is, they'd enjoy it much more.

Instead, people are too busy comparing it to the original because "OH MY GOD THERE ARE NO EXPRESSIONS, NO COLOR, IT'S TOO REALISTIC".

It makes zero sense to me. As a big fan of the original, I see nothing wrong with this. The original will always be there. It's cool to see what it look s like with such technology. To me, it's breathtaking. Some of the shots just have me in awe but I guess you can't please everyone lol

The ramblings of random internet peeps on a box office forum does not accurately represent the movie going public. There’s not really any “outrage”.

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

The ramblings of random internet peeps on a box office forum does not accurately represent the movie going public. There’s not really any “outrage”.

Agree. Aladdin is a perfect example. Internet trolls complaining and crying about little stuff while General audiences gave them the big F U and went enjoyed themselves at the movie. Do these people really think the general audiences care that it is photo-realistic or looks too real or its it's not as colorful as the cartoon version. That's the freaking point.  It's supposed to look real. Its not a cartoon.When will these people learn. General audiences don't give a damn about the movies not colorful enough. They just want to see a live action version of The Lion King with the great songs, great talented voices and a great story we fell in love with and outstanding CGI. 

Edited by Curtis1986
  • Like 2