antovolk

THE LION KING | WITH DIGITAL FUR TECHNOLOGY | July 19 2019 | Jon Favreau Photorealistic CGI Remake | Soulless Cash Grab to end all Soulless Cash Grabs

Posted (edited)

Based on reviews for voice work, Jungle Book did way better job. This only gets praised for Rogen&Eichner which is shitty ratio considering the size of the cast. Hopefully non-English speaking countries dub it with better voice work.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Based on reviews for voice work, Jungle Book did way better job. This only gets praised for Rogen&Eichner which is shitty ratio considering the size of the cast. Hopefully non-English speaking countries dub it with better voice work.

Dan from screen junkies said they just threw a bunch of celebrities at these roles without any consideration for if they were right for the part or could bring something to it, and that's the vibe I've always gotten as well. Never did think Beyonce was a good Nala choice for example. Beyonce is only Beyonce, she can't play a character. 

• Like 3
  • Disbelief 1

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I have this for $181M next weekend. Few million higher than Beauty and the Beast sounds about right.

I can not wait for the reactions on this board when it misses BatB's OW. I expect nothing less than forum incinerating meltdowns. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Molek said:

The rating/% pattern is revealing some hidden bias in the score, just admit it

You should probably admit you are way too invested in this. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Dan from screen junkies said they just threw a bunch of celebrities at these roles without any consideration for if they were right for the part or could bring something to it, and that's the vibe I've always gotten as well. Never did think Beyonce was a good Nala choice for example. Beyonce is only Beyonce, she can't play a character. 

And I knew that Chiwetel and Don Glover would be disaster and they are, apparently. Sounds like they just collected their paychecks since the brand is so strong it really doesn't matter whether voices are good or not. People will eat it up cause OMG REAL ANIMALS SPEAK!

Edited by Valonqar

13 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

And I knew that Chiwetel and Donglover would be disaster and they are, apparently. Sounds like they just collected their paychecks since the brand is so strong it really doesn't matter whether voices are good or not. People will eat it up cause OMG REAL ANIMALS SPEAK!

Err...you may wanna include the space there...

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Err...you may wanna include the space there...

Oh shit! I see now why he's spelled that way. Will do. 

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

Anastasia would be getting the live-action remake treatment eventually regardless if Disney had bought them or not. Movie is arguably the most Disney non-Disney movie ever made. Was sorta slept on at the time of release (adjusts to $114M today) but it's grown in reputation ever since that it's easy to imagine a live-action remake pulling similar numbers to Cinderella 2015.

nah probably not. But it would be vindication for Don Bluth.

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

And I knew that Chiwetel and Don Glover would be disaster and they are, apparently. Sounds like they just collected their paychecks since the brand is so strong it really doesn't matter whether voices are good or not. People will eat it up cause OMG REAL ANIMALS SPEAK!

Chiwetel is fantastic as Scar.

• Like 2

I wonder how the movie would have been perceived if the animals expressed more emotion. Of course there would be the usual complaints of "not enough color" and whatnot, but the lack of expression on the animals seems to be a big sticking point for some.

It doesn't bother me personally, but it makes me wonder in terms of the GA. Of course this movie will do gangbusters regardless.

45 minutes ago, ViewerAnon said:

Chiwetel is fantastic as Scar.

not what reviews are saying but I respect your opinion. 

A consistent thing across these Renaissance remakes seems to be that the villain is much weaker than the original. Gaston, Jafar, and Scar are all getting hit with it. Shere Khan was generally very well received, probably because they reinterpreted the character, to the point where he's almost more Scar than Shere Khan.

Posted (edited)

The following is a scene from The Jungle Book, specifically one with just the animals interacting without Mowgli involved. The humanesque emotions are kept to a bare minimum with the the wolves more expressive due to canines being more expressive. But a lot of what people are complaining about in Lion King is on display here. Sure the animals had Mowgli to bounce off on to balance it, but there are large portions of Jungle Book that is just the animals interacting with each other.

Spoiler

All in all, from a visual and technical standpoint, both Jungle Book and Lion King feature things never seen before. We've had CGI animals sure, but with Lion King, we've never had them look this real, never had a movie where it's just them. But in Lion King and Jungle Book's cases, they're some of the first movies where the animals DON'T emote like humans, it's all in the body language and eyes, like real life animals. 

I think someone said it in the thread earlier that Jon seemed to go a more experimental route with this, and I believe they're right.

Edited by Yandereprime101189
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

A consistent thing across these Renaissance remakes seems to be that the villain is much weaker than the original. Gaston, Jafar, and Scar are all getting hit with it. Shere Khan was generally very well received, probably because they reinterpreted the character, to the point where he's almost more Scar than Shere Khan.

The Jungle Book was just about better than original in every way, original was good, but way too goofy, but the remake took good parts and amplified it with giving better villain which was treated with respect and motivations, better plot, better conflict, more heart and good ending to boot. 

Shere Khan was well received for same reason, it was just the superior version, they made him threatening, clever, motivations and even a backstory they tied him with the protagonist.

Overall Incredible presentation, ticked every box correctly.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, TMP said:

So the theatrical experience should only be available to little kids and families now? Everything else must go to streaming?

That's basically the reality both executives and audiences have settled on. It's kind of a recursive loop.... theaters charge more, because movies cost more, because movies need to make more, so because tickets are so much, audiences have to be discriminating with what they're going to spend money on, and eventually they all arrive at "well, my 55" tv is good enough for everything that isn't marvel or star wars or whatever" and so they mostly choose to only go to the theater when it's a big blockbuster. Because they're not going to the theater as much.... theaters charge more, because movies cost more, because movies need to make more, so because tickets are so much, audiences have to be discriminating with what they're going to spend money on, and...

It's not just one set thing, it's a whole bunch of things, but the reality is that theaters are amusement parks now. And audiences are primarily fine with that, because TVs are "good enough" now that most of what they USED to go to the movie for is what Netflix or Hulu or Prime or HBO is for. 

Studios are putting a lot of money into making mid-budget stuff still. They just aren't releasing it to theaters. They're releasing it on their networks now

Edited by LawrenceBrolivier

4 hours ago, TMP said:

So the theatrical experience should only be available to little kids and families now? Everything else must go to streaming?

need to lower the damn ticket prices.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mekanos said:

Tbh Evans' Gaston is still one of the better parts of the BatB remake, even if he's not Richard White.

My man Idris's Shere Khan is legit dope tho

• Like 1