antovolk

THE LION KING | WITH DIGITAL FUR TECHNOLOGY | July 19 2019 | Jon Favreau Photorealistic CGI Remake | Soulless Cash Grab to end all Soulless Cash Grabs

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Menor said:

Domestic audiences mostly enjoyed it as well as shown by the audience scores in every metric. BOT shouldn't be taken as a representative sample. The lower holds are because this had the biggest OW rush/hype of any of the live action remakes.

Agree. An A Comscore and a 89 audience score on Rotten Tomatoes in a 1.6 billion worldwide total pretty much means audiences everywhere did not agree with critics

Edited by Curtis1986
  • Like 3

Saw this again and actually liked it a bit better. I had the original in my head less and enjoyed this for what it is. Still one of my least favourite Disney live action adaptations unfortunately.

Posted (edited)
On 8/6/2019 at 10:43 PM, JB33 said:

So do overseas audiences care less than audiences here about the fact it's a shot for shot remake? Or is that narrative prevalent there too? It seems overseas audiences aren't as harsh on this.

Well one of this movie's criticism is it's dubbing which should be on point as in this sort of movie, dubbing is the thing which gives out emotions considering it's realistic visuals.

What i think is that other dubs have done much better job than the main English one's. I watched it in Hindi and everyone was on point, dubbing was excellent, they were able to convey emotions the way it should be and songs dub were great and they include Be Prepared dub too. And hence it didn't came up as soulless which people are criticising it for. Maybe other dub versions throughout did equally good. But then their are countries where this movie is released in English itself yet is doing good.

This could be one of the reasons along with the fact that overseas audience are more open about live action remakes too insisting considering other live action remakes also did good in overseas countries. 

Edited by THUNDER BIRD
  • Like 1
  • Not Cool 1

1 hour ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Well one of this movie's criticism is it's dubbing which should be on point as in this sort of movie, dubbing is the thing which gives out emotions considering it's realistic visuals.

What i think is that other dubs have done much better job than the main English one's. I watched it in Hindi and everyone was on point, dubbing was excellent, they were able to convey emotions the way it should be and songs dub were great and they include Be Prepared dub too. And hence it didn't came up as soulless which people are criticising it for. Maybe other dub versions throughout did equally good. But then their are countries where this movie is released in English itself yet is doing good.

This could be one of the reasons along with the fact that overseas audience are more open about live action remakes too insisting considering other live action remakes also did good in overseas countries. 

Yeah this is kind of the feeling I was getting. Looks like for once the NA crowd got shortchanged with the voices lol.

Posted (edited)

Would you guys watch the film like this? (honest curiosity)

Edited by Heroicpiglet
  • Like 2
  • Not Cool 1

as long as the images and transmissions created have the best original quality or authenticity vs the deepfake replications

there are too many kids experimenting on youtube videos though for me to condemn it too much, but it would be a waste of time to make these deepfakes.

On 8/5/2019 at 10:05 PM, Curtis1986 said:

Lol at that club.

What was the club?

2 hours ago, Heroicpiglet said:

Would you guys watch the film like this? (honest curiosity)

That Puumba is nightmare fuel.

54 minutes ago, Moviefanatic said:

What was the club?

Only 1.1 billion. 400 to 500 milli9n less then what it will actually make.

On 8/8/2019 at 12:27 AM, THUNDER BIRD said:

doesn't surprise me. Donald Glover and Beyone were terrible in this movie

• Disbelief 1

Posted (edited)
On 8/7/2019 at 9:50 PM, Curtis1986 said:

Agree. An A Comscore and a 89 audience score on Rotten Tomatoes in a 1.6 billion worldwide total pretty much means audiences everywhere did not agree with critics

Lol it have to do not less than 1.2B  cause is the live action of the lion king and they spent 600 m dollars, just because someone watch it doesn't mean he likes it. People are going to see it because of the brand, 1.2B dollars are the tickets of 850M dollars 10 years ago. The movie is not having great legs, this means it's doesn't have an incredible world of mouth (see the incredibles 2). 

It won't leave any trace like every disney remake, it's not our fault if these movie are irrelevant and nobody talks about them after the first weekend.  

No problem, frozen 2 is coming and it seems a real possible pop phenomenon. 

Edited by maxalcamo
  • Disbelief 1
  • Not Cool 3

Yeah, they botched TLK but what it's still doing at the box office is a testament to the brand power. When Disney nails it, like they'll hopefully do with Frozen II, all bets are off.

• Like 2

I heard that The Lion King is in a three way race for 1st place this Saturday+Sunday between One Piece and Weathering With You.

It will also make money in the coming holiday season after this weekend. It will probably not make over 1 billion yen on these two days like Aladdin did, though.

No disrespect to the VFX team, but making a completely realistic ‘take’ on an animated film that breathes so much life and distinctive personality in each frame is not that impressive at the end of the day. All you’re doing is rehashing an entire narrative without taking any liberties.

I forgot who once used this example so I could rightfully quote them, but let’s take it back to 1996 when Independence Day came out. When it was released, it was a phenomenal blockbuster hit that nearly made a billion dollars because of the top-notch visual effects at the time -- a time where not many studios had the resources and the big budget to match. When Independence Day: Resurgence came out, nobody cared about the boastful mumbo jumbo visual effects because everyone else has the resources to do it just as well, if not better, and it bombed because of that. That being said, what makes this Lion King so special is the visual effects because that’s the only thing this movie offers. Just because you have visual effects and that’s the only thing you got to offer, it doesn’t make your movie a movie.

https://www.rendyreviews.com/movies//the-lion-king-review

• Like 1

On 8/1/2019 at 6:40 PM, Royce said:

The original animators of The Lion King (1994) believe the effects were so realistic that it made the film’s other prominent elements, such as singing and talking animals, feel widely out of place.

“It would jar me out of the film, literally,” Stephen said. “Especially with little Simba walking around. It was too real. And then when he would talk, it reminded me of those old nature films where they would dub the voices over and the lips would move. I thought, ‘Oh, this is really cheap.’ I think it was just too soon for this one.”

“I just came away going, ‘Wow, that was a great story that I worked on back in ’93.’ How come the apes in ‘Planet of the Apes’ look so much more alive than the animals in ‘Lion King’?” Stephan continued. “This one just said, ‘You know what, let’s cut the expressions out completely. Let’s just keep it real as possible.’ And I think it just diminished the film.”

“It’s sort of sad that the stockholder is now in the room deciding what movies get made”

Another animator added, “There is a huge resentment against these 3D remakes from the original 2D crews. Maybe if we got any kind of royalties it would be different.”

Stephan went on to criticize the voice performances as well, calling them “so wooden".

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/08/original-lion-king-animator-slams-disney-2019-remake-1202162518/

I won't be paying money to see this and I'm out of reactions, but amen to this.

Screw Disney for these remakes.

Posted (edited)

So watched Aladdin and my first question is.....Why didn't they made TLK more funny & entertaining like they did with Aladdin? 

What's the point of trying to go needlessly dark & serious route in case of Scar & Hyenas? I mean i like it is for what it is but it could've been much more entertaining but they decided to not do that.

Edited by THUNDER BIRD

5 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

So watched Aladdin and my first question is.....Why didn't they made TLK more funny & entertaining like they did with Aladdin? 

What's the point of trying to go needlessly dark & serious route in case of Scar & Hyenas? I mean i like it is for what it is but it could've been much more entertaining but they decided to not do that.

The Aladdin remake actually went for a similar dark and serious route with Jafar. 

3 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

The Aladdin remake actually went for a similar dark and serious route with Jafar. 

Atleast it had Iago in humour department and Jafar was dark maybe but it wasn't Scar level. Even the scenery and music gets darkish with Scar whereas it was normal in Jafar case. They went too much for Scar for no reason at all.