Jump to content
antovolk

THE LION KING | WITH DIGITAL FUR TECHNOLOGY | July 19 2019 | Jon Favreau Photorealistic CGI Remake | Soulless Cash Grab to end all Soulless Cash Grabs

Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

There’s more heart and creativity in those than the majority of live action remakes.

They don't have any heart, it's the same predictable kiddie drivel over and over and over again for every movie.

 

There's been what? Five superhero movies this year? Captain Marvel, Shazam and Dark Phoenix all of which were the same mediocre drivel you usually get. 

 

Spider-Man which was pretty decent but again the same movie yet again and then Endgame was again just pretty decent and was only carried by the fact that it was the last one and that Iron Man died but otherwise was still worse than Winter Soldier from years back.

 

There's no creativity in these movies, you see one of them and you've seen pretty much all of them, they all follow the same formula and tone from movie to movie with a few exceptions like Deadpool.

  • Like 4
  • ...wtf 1
  • Not Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

So, dom seems like less than 550, and os points at 1.05-1.1B, for a ww total of 1.6-1.7B. 

 

Honestly, dom i expected something closer to 700, so 550- looks a bit of an underperformance (given its real potential). Same goes for me for Aladdin, which 350+ is not bad at all, but it had a higher box office potential. 

 

But overseas, if we give a close look at the numbers, it's a very impressive run. I mean, there are 8 1B+ os movies actually, soon to be 9. Many of those, heavily relied on a single market. Let's see:

 

Movie - Intl. BO - Biggest OS market - % over total. 

 

Avatar   2,029 B   China 202 M     9.95%

EG        1,937 B   China 614 M   31.70%

Titanic  1,528 B   Japan 201 M   13.15%

IW        1,369 B   China  359 M   26.22%

FF7      1,163 B   China  390 M   33.53%

TFA      1,131 B   UK      163 M   14.41%

JW       1,019 B   China  228 M   22.37%

FF8      1,010 B   China  392 M   38.81%

*TLK    1,050 B   China  116 M   11.05%

**TLK   1,100 B   China  116 M   10.55%

 

So, TLK is the "second 1B+ os maker" whose biggest market accounts for the least % of OS total, after only Avatar. On that 9-movie list, the two FF movies relay super heavily in China (with more than 1/3 coming from a single market), as well as Avengers movies (with 1/4 to 1/3 of the total). Then there's JW (with around 1/5 to 1/4 of the total). And then there are the movies which have a more compensated and proportionally distributed OS income, with Avatar and TLK on the 1/10 of the total, and then Titanic and TFA with around 14%.

 

Of course I'm intentionally "ignoring" the absolute OS number (which is what obviously counts in the end). I'm just trying to give a different perspective on how to read TLK run. 

 

Obviously, if you remove the biggest market from each of them, you get something like 

 

Avatar    1,827 B

EG         1,323 B

Titanic   1,327 B

IW         1,010 B

FF7         773 M

TFA         968 M

JW          791 M

FF8         618 M

*TLK       934 M   

**TLK      984 M

 

Avatar, Titanic and both Avengers are enormous box office phenomenons everywhere, but right after them, TFA and TLK will be on the 1B range even extracting the biggest OS market,what imo is highly impressive. 

Edited by meriodejaneiro
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, scabab said:

They don't have any heart, it's the same predictable kiddie drivel over and over and over again for every movie.

 

There's been what? Five superhero movies this year? Captain Marvel, Shazam and Dark Phoenix all of which were the same mediocre drivel you usually get. 

 

Spider-Man which was pretty decent but again the same movie yet again and then Endgame was again just pretty decent and was only carried by the fact that it was the last one and that Iron Man died but otherwise was still worse than Winter Soldier from years back.

 

There's no creativity in these movies, you see one of them and you've seen pretty much all of them, they all follow the same formula and tone from movie to movie with a few exceptions like Deadpool.

Out of curiosity, what gives this movie more “heart” than the average superhero movie? To me, this felt like the embodiment of a factory made film.

Edited by WittyUsername
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, scabab said:

They don't have any heart, it's the same predictable kiddie drivel over and over and over again for every movie.

 

There's been what? Five superhero movies this year? Captain Marvel, Shazam and Dark Phoenix all of which were the same mediocre drivel you usually get. 

 

Spider-Man which was pretty decent but again the same movie yet again and then Endgame was again just pretty decent and was only carried by the fact that it was the last one and that Iron Man died but otherwise was still worse than Winter Soldier from years back.

 

There's no creativity in these movies, you see one of them and you've seen pretty much all of them, they all follow the same formula and tone from movie to movie with a few exceptions like Deadpool.

Exactly the same thing can be said about The Lion King and the majority of these remakes, it just rips of the animated version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At least Superhero movies present their generic formula each time in a different outfit.

 

These live-action remakes wear the same outfit as the animated movies. Except they're worn out.

  • Like 2
  • Disbelief 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

At least Superhero movies present their generic formula each time in a different outfit.

 

These live-action remakes wear the same outfit as the animated movies. Except they're worn out.

Well, Alice in Wonderland, Maleficent and The Jungle Book did feel pretty distinct from their animated counterparts. I may not like those movies (though TJB is alright), but they were at least different. As far as these Renaissance remakes are concerned, though, I would definitely agree. Outside of superficial changes that don’t enhance the story (and that often seem to be there just to seem more “woke”), and some lazy attempts at fixing perceived plot holes in the animated films, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and especially The Lion King just feel like more boring alternatives to the originals. 

 

No disrespect to anyone who likes these movies. If you enjoy these remakes, more power to you. With that being said, these movies strike me as the epitome of soulless and by the number cash grabs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Well, Alice in Wonderland, Maleficent and The Jungle Book did feel pretty distinct from their animated counterparts. I may not like those movies (though TJB is alright), but they were at least different. As far as these Renaissance remakes are concerned, though, I would definitely agree. Outside of superficial changes that don’t enhance the story (and that often seem to be there just to seem more “woke”), and some lazy attempts at fixing perceived plot holes in the animated films, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and especially The Lion King just feel like more boring alternatives to the originals. 

 

No disrespect to anyone who likes these movies. If you enjoy these remakes, more power to you. With that being said, these movies strike me as the epitome of soulless and by the number cash grabs. 

 

I agree on Alice and TJB. Though i dislike Alice, it certainly wasnt a copycat film and Jungle Book 2016 i actually like for its darker tone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Exactly the same thing can be said about The Lion King and the majority of these remakes, it just rips of the animated version.

 

Because that's what it is, it's a remake of another movie. People didn't want to go to see this The Lion King to see something widely different from the previous The Lion King. People wanted to see the same scenes redone and the same songs redone, that's the whole point.

 

Superhero movies though, even though they have the chance to be anything that they want, still almost all end up being the same cookie cutter mediocre crash bang kiddie drivel.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, scabab said:

 

Because that's what it is, it's a remake of another movie. People didn't want to go to see this The Lion King to see something widely different from the previous The Lion King. People wanted to see the same scenes redone and the same songs redone, that's the whole point.

 

Superhero movies though, even though they have the chance to be anything that they want, still almost all end up being the same cookie cutter mediocre crash bang kiddie drivel.

I didn't know movies like The Dark Knight and Infinity War were cookie cutter mediocre crash bang kiddie drivel.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, scabab said:

 

Because that's what it is, it's a remake of another movie. People didn't want to go to see this The Lion King to see something widely different from the previous The Lion King. People wanted to see the same scenes redone and the same songs redone, that's the whole point.

 

Superhero movies though, even though they have the chance to be anything that they want, still almost all end up being the same cookie cutter mediocre crash bang kiddie drivel.

The Dark Knight isn't which is why it's still to this day the best superhero movie of them all by a huge margin.

 

Infinity War however was cookie cutter crash bang just like almost the rest except it was pretty good for once. Same with Endgame. The only reason why that wasn't as formulaic was because it was split into two movies.

 

Otherwise Captain Marvel, Shazam, Dark Phoenix, Aquaman, Venom, Ant-man and the Wasp, Justice League, Thor Ragnarok, Guardians of the Galaxy 2 is just the same mediocre action figure kiddie material you get constantly.

 

Pretty much the same movie over and over with different characters. Aquaman and Black Panther were just the same movie except one was underwater.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, scabab said:

The Dark Knight isn't which is why it's still to this day the best superhero movie of them all by a huge margin.

 

Infinity War however was cookie cutter crash bang just like almost the rest except it was pretty good for once. Same with Endgame. The only reason why that wasn't as formulaic was because it was split into two movies.

 

Otherwise Captain Marvel, Shazam, Dark Phoenix, Aquaman, Venom, Ant-man and the Wasp, Justice League, Thor Ragnarok, Guardians of the Galaxy 2 is just the same mediocre action figure kiddie material you get constantly.

 

Pretty much the same movie over and over with different characters. Aquaman and Black Panther were just the same movie except one was underwater.

You still haven't explained how Infinity War is cookie cutter crash bang.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That overseas performance is impressive. Disappointing performance in Domestic & China stopped it from crossing 2 billion. 

 

This film will go down as missed opportunity still though, 2 Billion was there for the taking.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, scabab said:

The Dark Knight isn't which is why it's still to this day the best superhero movie of them all by a huge margin.

 

Infinity War however was cookie cutter crash bang just like almost the rest except it was pretty good for once. Same with Endgame. The only reason why that wasn't as formulaic was because it was split into two movies.

 

Otherwise Captain Marvel, Shazam, Dark Phoenix, Aquaman, Venom, Ant-man and the Wasp, Justice League, Thor Ragnarok, Guardians of the Galaxy 2 is just the same mediocre action figure kiddie material you get constantly.

 

Pretty much the same movie over and over with different characters. Aquaman and Black Panther were just the same movie except one was underwater.

For someone that hates superhero movies so much, you’ve sure seen a lot of them. And it’s hard to take someone that uses the word “kiddie” in their argument seriously. Such a juvenile critique. Yeah, I’m sure the kids just loved the filicide and genocide in Infinity War.

 

Is there a general formula? Sure, but that literally comes down to “protagonist goes through hardship to succeed in the end”, a formula that goes back centuries in storytelling and is surely present in all of your favorite movies. Do they try to be crowd pleasing? Absolutely, it’s called a blockbuster. But no heart? Give me a break. You don’t make millions of people cry over a character that wasn’t treated with heartfelt storytelling.

 

No one’s saying you have to like them but get off your high horse with that “kiddie garbage” crap.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nick64 said:

For someone that hates superhero movies so much, you’ve sure seen a lot of them. And it’s hard to take someone that uses the word “kiddie” in their argument seriously. Such a juvenile critique. Yeah, I’m sure the kids just loved the filicide and genocide in Infinity War.

 

Is there a general formula? Sure, but that literally comes down to “protagonist goes through hardship to succeed in the end”, a formula that goes back centuries in storytelling and is surely present in all of your favorite movies. Do they try to be crowd pleasing? Absolutely, it’s called a blockbuster. But no heart? Give me a break. You don’t make millions of people cry over a character that wasn’t treated with heartfelt storytelling.

 

No one’s saying you have to like them but get off your high horse with that “kiddie garbage” crap.

 

There's nothing juvenile about it, I watched Shazam yesterday and yeah of course it's kiddie. The movie practically turned into Power Rangers at the end, a bunch of kids turning into adults wearing different colour suits but still acted like small children while fighting ugly monsters? It was even more kiddie than the actual recent Power Rangers movie.

 

The only reason Endgame had heart was because people like and have grown familiar with Iron Man. Same thing with Logan. Characters who've been in over half a dozen movies in over a decade and it's still less emotional and memorable than Mufasa's death from the original movie when he had less than 10 minutes of screen time.

 

Otherwise there was nothing emotional about Captain Marvel, Aquaman, Black Panther, Ant-man, Justice League, Doctor Strange etc because they're all the same. Not a shred of emotion in them but instead a huge amount of silly jokes and pop culture jokes.

 

You know what actually is juvenile? Guardians of the Galaxy 2's humour, "Oh I have sensitive nipples", "I have famously large turds", "You shouldn't have squished my Walkman!" and people say this is one of the funnier ones.

 

It's gone that bad that an actual cool character like Thor has now been reduced to a fat slob who plays Fortnite because the kiddies sure love that Fortnite!

 

You can like them if you want and movies for kids aren't necessarily bad but these superhero movies are kiddie as all hell and they're all the same mediocre movie almost every time. Something like Man of Steel comes out and people actually complain about it because "Ewww it's so dark, why aren't there any jokes in it!" Which because of that we know had to have the corny joke fests that are Justice League and Shazam.

  • Not Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always love how the biggest haters of Superhero movies (and other popular genres) always seem to have watched all of them.

 

Like, is that some sort of advanced masochism?

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Brainbug said:

I always love how the biggest haters of Superhero movies (and other popular genres) always seem to have watched all of them.

 

Like, is that some sort of advanced masochism?

You can't know whether you hate a film until you watch it though..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Avatree said:

You can't know whether you hate a film until you watch it though..

Well, you can watch two or three and confirm you don't like the genre ... but the 23 of them just to feel legitimated to criticize them is kind of modern masochism .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, meriodejaneiro said:

Well, you can watch two or three and confirm you don't like the genre ... but the 23 of them just to feel legitimated to criticize them is kind of modern masochism .

But he clearly doesn't dislike the genre, since he said he loves The Dark Knight?

Not enjoying individual films does not mean you should avoid all films in that genre.

 

What would be the point in exclusively watching films that you're confident you'll enjoy, anyway?

  • ...wtf 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Brainbug said:

I always love how the biggest haters of Superhero movies (and other popular genres) always seem to have watched all of them.

 

Like, is that some sort of advanced masochism?

But if I hadn't watched them then you'd be whining about that instead. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.