Noctis

Rate each book in the trilogy.

Insane definitely, but there is a good point buried within the madness that aside from Katniss there really isn't a female character of any depth in the book. The closest is Rue but she's essentially a Prim proxy and we don't get much beyond the surface.

Technically, only Kat and Haymich have any depth so singling out female characters as lacking makes no sense.

But then the review goes wacko when it claims that Glimmer is one of our first on-screen deaths (and the first kill of Katniss we see) because the author is puritanical about sex/beauty/etc and wants to punish the very pretty girl who yada yada yada

Author is so purtianical that she turned her heroine into a major babe. This chick is just grasping for straws to write something because her cattiness was actually earned when she mock-reviewed other YA. I read some of those books and they really give you an easy ammo. Nut HG books, while far from perfect, are cut above that kind of shit and she really became blue in face trying to tear down every aspect of the books.

How spoilery are those pictures? Will it give away the story?

They have absolutely nothing to do with the books other than using a series of pictures of similar items to convey my relative approval of each book.

No, THG is #1, because THG gets the picture of a Philly Cheesesteak, and Philly Cheesesteaks are great. Catching Fire gets a Turkey Club, which is a delicious sandwich but is more common and regular than a Philly Cheesesteak.Mockingjay gets a picture of burnt toast because Mockingjay faceplants on multiple occasions and is a great example of overcooking one's novel to the point of blah-ness.

Edited by 4815162342

What the fuck. Just finished Mockingjay. What a terrible book.My anticipation for Catching Fire has diminished with the knowledge of the finale. It's completely anti-climatic. I haven't read the Twilight franchise and will never, but it rivals the pointlessness of them.The only reason to justify it ends the way it does, is that "this is reality". But then, it isn't. It's a fantasy book and there are much more ways to illustrate Collins' point on the effects of war. She's not a good enough writer to end it the way she does.In fact, it's pedestrian. It hardly deals with characters, and I'm not sure if Katniss is more of a joke than Bella. Well, I've only read the 2nd and 3rd so I'm not sure what actual characterization she was initially given, but yet, the book goes by with her basically being an impotent useless and utterly unimportant piece of the puzzle. Everything gets done for her by people playing with her. Everything is a set up. She spends more time fighting with herself and being drugged than actually doing anything. Is she supposed to have grown as a character? She seems the same immature person she was before. Sure there's emotional scars but I don't believe Collins has any grasp over that and ends up spewing out material not worth the page they're written on. Besides that, nothing is resolved. Peeta is maniacal for most of it, Gale, what just starts his own show? And this whole supposed twist of having television propaganda, really? I've had experience filming and if I were a rebel, watching Hollywood cuts of Katniss destroying things is not going to make me rise up in arms. In fact everything is emotional, manipulative and insincere. It's disgusting. What a bloody disservice of a series ender. Pathetic.

• Like 2

1. The Hunger Games: 9/102. Catching Fire: 8.5/103. Mokingjay: 6/10....would have been about 4/10 if it wasn't for the ending! What a terrible novel in comparison to the first two....

THG: 9/10Great book, but maybe watching the movie before reading it diminished some of the suspense and surprise for me.CF: 10/10I actually think this is my favorite book ever, read it cover to cover in one day. The pacing was perfect and I don't think I've ever been so excited while reading a book. MJ: 7/10Some good moments that made me pause for a while and just say "wow" like when Katniss was shot by the district 2 refugee. Overall though, the book was not nearly as exciting or well paced as the other two. The ending was... eh and they killed off too many people IMO.

I'd say they got weaker with each entry.The Hunger Games is the best of the trilogy. It takes some time to get going, but the Games are gripping despite Collins' propensity for telling rather than showing (which gets much, much more prominent in the next two books).Once Catching Fire gets going, it's at least as compelling as its predecessor, if not more so. But to get there, it rushes through the victory tour, wastes time with preparation for the wedding that doesn't happen, and tells us many times over how fearful Katniss is of her loved ones being targeted. The Games are then gripping once again, and the cliffhanger ending is very good.Mockingjay is a letdown. I didn't dislike it, but it did not live up to my expectations. There's too much material for a 400-page book, which causes much of the action to feel rushed, and the ending is decidedly frustrating. While the world in the books clearly wouldn't be a good place to live (it is a dystopia, after all), the level of bleakness and pessimism prior to the cautiously optimistic final ten pages borders on overwhelming. The perspective Katniss has on her world becomes so uncompromisingly bleak that I lost much interest in whether she lived or died, since dying would put her out of her relentless misery, while living would just prolong it.