chasmmi

Official BOT top 150 Animated Movies Countdown

14 hours ago, chasmmi said:

118th - The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

56pts - 4 votes, 1 top 5  (2014: 134th: Up 16)

The title sounds like a Thai film that gets nominated for Foreign Language Oscars to me, but that may just be me.

Another film to receive a small pocket of very strong votes. It's a film that I know absolutely nothing about and further embarrasses me as someone who thinks they can host a best animation list countdown. Clearly I am an Ice Age and Turbo-loving troglodyte (actually, I really liked Turbo :D )

16 places is a good increase too, a sign that Japanese animation will show strongly this list???

Great to see this movie on the list, even if it's not in a good rank. I'm curious, who were the other 3 that voted for it?

6 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

Bianca and Bernard are pretty charming but The Rescuers Down Under is incredibly superior than its predecessor in every manner imaginable. 

Well there are plenty of Disney films to come still on this list. 

(ALthough I will say that in my opinion there are two which missed the top 150 that really really deserved a spot (1 especially especially) :)

• Like 2

113th - The Rescuers Down Under

66pts - 9 votes,  (2014: 103rd Down 10)

A sequel surpassing the original... how many more times will that happen?

As has been discussed a few posts up, this is a far superior sequel to the still great original and so for it to only place 3 spots higher seems criminal to me (and I thought the first Rescuers was low). 

These two films must be the ultimate forgotten Disney classics. They just missed out on being part of the Renaissance (Despite this one coming out during it), and thus from a timeline point of view, found themselves in Dark Ages Disney. Perhaps this hurt the number of new viewers to the films compared to the massive popularity of the films that came all around this one.  

• Like 11

112th - Tokyo Godfathers

67pts - 5 votes, 1 top 10  (2014: 163rd Up 51)

So this is basically Three Men and a Baby - Anime Edition?

So thinking critical reaction, not box office, would this be the number two studio after Doraemon Ghibli? There are a whole bunch of films from this house that pop up again and again in threads like this that i just haven't seen. 

This sounds like an interesting story and it has risen strongly since 2014, 50 places is nothing to sniff at.  

• Like 9

111th - Team America: World Police

67pts - 6 votes,  (2014: 76th Down 35)

I'm really hoping that 25 people were not considering this to be a real animation...

I love this film, it is yet another example of the genius that is parker and Stone to make a film this is both clever with genuine things to say, and also base vulgar humour. 

The songs are great also (The one above is underrated in my opinion) and there are multiple scenes that are all time greats of cinema, be they a song, a speech or the wrold's first puppet sex scene.

Down 35 is sad to see. Hopefully this can be rectified in a few years.  

• Like 7

110th - Pocahontas

67pts - 8 votes,  (2014: 63rd Down 47)

Funny to think that there was a time that this was Mel Gibson's most controversial film.

Another big faller since 2014 which actually really disappoints me. I saw this film for the first time about 2-3 years ago (it may even have been with Iceroll's list in mind) and I maintain to this day that if the original Pocahontas had been somebody like a Robin Hood who probably didn't exist, or at least not in the form that has been immortalised, then people would have raved about this film.

The animation is beautiful. The music and songs are top tier Disney tracks and the story is strong. As a non-American who is thus not as versed in the histories of Colonialists vs the Native Americans, it was easier to watch this as the romantic story it was supposed to be. And as a story it is great. It is just a massive shame/let down that there is a real story involving these characters out there in history which understandably guts this film's integrity and watchability (or even stomachability) in the eyes of many audiences.

• Like 6

109th - The Adventures of Tintin

68pts - 8 votes,  (2014: 83rd Down 26)

Scroll up, find my comments on Polar Express, insert said comments here. 

Yeah another one I never saw due to 'scary' graphics. As much as I like a good old Spielberg adventure, this just looked to me as something that should and could have been done in live action. 

I am learning about myself that I am actually pretty particular about what styles of animation I am prepared to watch on a visual level...

And yet another faller. Were there 37 amazing animated films released in 2015 that i do not know about? 

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, chasmmi said:

112th - Tokyo Godfathers

67pts - 5 votes, 1 top 10  (2014: 163rd Up 51)

So this is basically Three Men and a Baby - Anime Edition?

So thinking critical reaction, not box office, would this be the number two studio after Doraemon Ghibli? There are a whole bunch of films from this house that pop up again and again in threads like this that i just haven't seen. 

This sounds like an interesting story and it has risen strongly since 2014, 50 places is nothing to sniff at.  

It's a Satoshi Kon movie. I've seen him described as the Marlowe to Miyazaki's Shakespeare and I would concur with that sentiment. More on him later.

Also @Rey I need you to watch this movie. You're welcome. 

1 minute ago, Spidey Freak said:

It's a Satoshi Kon movie. I've seen him described as the Marlowe to Miyazaki's Shakespeare and I would concur with that sentiment. More on him later.

Also @Rey I need you to watch this movie. You're welcome. 

That would be a pretty bad comparison, in my opinion. For one, Marlowe came before Shakespeare.

108th - Ice Age

68pts - 9 votes,  (2014: 68th Down 40)

Don't worry the ones of you feeling that little sense of outrage rising inside you, it's the only one on the list :)

Ice Age: The Poor Man's Madagascar. Where people pay to watch a 90 minute film in order to see what hijinks a little squirrel gets up to for about 5 of those 90 minutes.

To be fair this first one is pretty good and the next couple are watchable (number 5 is vomit in animated form though). It is a franchise that is so big and well know it was always going to make the list. However it has dropped pretty dramatically from previous years which may suggest that the diminishing returns of the sequels is starting to take effect. 

• Like 5

107th - Kubo and the Two Strings

69pts - 5 votes, 1 top 5 (2014: N/A)

2016 makes an appearance on the list...

Ok I have a really good excuse for not seeing this one: It hits cinemas in 20 days time. I really do plan to see it though as the trailer looks epic (and that comes from somebody who absolutely despised Boxtrolls). 

The reactions for this have been really strong and the signs are that when the dust has settled, this will be a top 100 film easily. I can't give my own opinion for a few weeks but I am hoping I will come back and say that I would have contributed another few points to the score. 

• Like 7

106th - Whisper of the Heart

69pts - 5 votes, 1 top 5, 1 top 10 (2014: 174th: Up 68)

Right so this one is Ghibli, I know that at least.

I am going to fly through most of the next few as I want to break into the top 100 before sleep and I have not watched any of them so have little I can really comment on. 

This film received two top 10 votes from its 5 which suggests it deserves some consideration and love, but I also feel there are another 11 Ghibli films I can say similar for too. That be the problem. 

The early films so far seem to be indicating that franchises are dropping places and Foreign/artsy stuff is what be benefitting. 

• Like 9

105th - Paprika

69pts - 6 votes, (2014: 149th: Up 44)

A film that has very little to do with spices I believe.

Well that is an odd trailer. I really may use this list to pick two or three new Japanese films and see if they land with me or not. 

Another big position riser too which will please the anime section of the voter pool. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, chasmmi said:

The animation is beautiful. The music and songs are top tier Disney tracks and the story is strong. As a non-American who is thus not as versed in the histories of Colonialists vs the Native Americans, it was easier to watch this as the romantic story it was supposed to be. And as a story it is great. It is just a massive shame/let down that there is a real story involving these characters out there in history which understandably guts this film's integrity and watchability (or even stomachability) in the eyes of many audiences.

I literally just watched this. Not going to try and rank it precisely yet (too soon), but I'm certain it would have made my list. Probably in the top 20.

Yes, it glosses over just how ugly the history gets. Ultimately I think the Native Americans were actually portrayed more sympathetically than the English. Although of course they pinned it all on John Ratcliffe's character.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, chasmmi said:

I am going to fly through most of the next few as I want to break into the top 100 before sleep and I have not watched any of them so have little I can really comment on. 

I salute you. Isn't it already 4:30 am in Korea?

• Like 1

104th - The Corpse Bride

69pts - 7 votes, (2014: 111th: Up 7)

I've seen this one!!!

I really like this film. The story is lovely and the characters are a lot of fun and well done. The animation is charming and the stop motion / CGI combination actually works really well at a thematic level which really added to the film. 

At the start of the vote, this was doing doing a lot better than it ended up finishing, so I am a little sad the votes Petered out. At least it still rose, that's always a good sign. 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Jason said:

I literally just watched this. Not going to try and rank it precisely yet (too soon), but I'm certain it would have made my list. Probably in the top 20.

Yes, it glosses over just how ugly the history gets. Ultimately I think the Native Americans were actually portrayed more sympathetically than the English. Although of course they pinned it all on John Ratcliffe's character.

Disney's Pocahontas is a fantasy. Nothing more.

Now that I think about it, it actually is offensive how many liberties they took with history. Bowdlerizing fairy tales is one thing, but bowdlerizing real people is inexcusable. And making John Smith and Pocahontas love interests is gross in the light of historical fact.

But beyond that, it's not that interesting of a movie.

• Like 1