chasmmi

Official BOT top 150 Animated Movies Countdown

103rd - Castle in the Sky

69pts - 7 votes, (2014: 97th: Down 6)

Another one of them Ghibli films I heard so much about,,,

Ghibli coming thick and fast right now and there was almost nothing to separate this and Whisper of the heart. This one got more votes but Whisper received the big high votes. 

The problem is that when you've only seen a couple of these films, it can be daunting trying to pick the next one to watch and let's be honest, there are some much higher profile films in the back catalogue that will likely take precedent before the few appearing on the list now. 

Unless somebody gives me a compelling argument ;) 

• Like 7

102nd - The Secret of the Kells

70pts - 7 votes, (2014: 265th: Up 163)

I don't think this one is Japanese

So this is an Irish animation? Whatever it is it has leapt up the standings and almost made the top 100. Looking at the animation style I expect most of the voters half expected that they were throwing their vote away on a film that would not get close to the standings. 

It's always pretty cool when one turns out to be wrong on matters like that :) 

• Like 10

32 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Disney's Pocahontas is a fantasy. Nothing more.

Agree, it's essentially completely fictional.

32 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Now that I think about it, it actually is offensive how many liberties they took with history. Bowdlerizing fairy tales is one thing, but bowdlerizing real people is inexcusable. And making John Smith and Pocahontas love interests is gross in the light of historical fact.

I used to get more bothered by this in general. Now I'm usually more interested in whether there's harm being done. It'd be bad if people watched this Pocahontas thinking it was real history, I don't know how many people do. (I wouldn't have, even as a child.) 

It does seem that at least some Native Americans took offense (and that is of concern to me). A lot of the historical details are vague, but anything even close to historical truth of the period would probably have to be as a documentary.

Edited by Jason

Satoshi Kon directed 4 movies, all wildly inventive and varying degrees of great.  All of them are on my list and Tokyo Godfathers was in my top 20. (and no they're not all men and it's not like Three Men & A Baby)

Sadly he died young, several years ago.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

101st - Waking Life

71pts - 4 votes, 1 top 5, 1 top 10 (2014: 164th: Up 63)

Is that really what the film looks like, or am I just drunk?

More weird animation styles that clash with my outdated, bland ideals of what animations should look like. This also appears like it is not a family film, but more adult centric affair.

Either way a 63 place increase is impressive and the few people to vote for it really really rated it. That could be enough to inspire more to see it now. 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, chasmmi said:

102nd - The Secret of the Kells

70pts - 7 votes, (2014: 265th: Up 163)

I don't think this one is Japanese

So this is an Irish animation? Whatever it is it has leapt up the standings and almost made the top 100. Looking at the animation style I expect most of the voters half expected that they were throwing their vote away on a film that would not get close to the standings. 

It's always pretty cool when one turns out to be wrong on matters like that :) 

The animation is stunning in this, I liked it far more than the story.  Tomm Moore who directed it also made the superlative and gorgeous Song Of The Sea.

• Like 3

On 05/10/2016 at 1:00 PM, chasmmi said:

131st - Monster House

48pts - 6 votes,  (2014: 142nd: Up 11)

What are these graphics i don't even...

This is like super early CGI era animation right?... 2006?! It looks like something from about 1996. I will admit thought the trailer was quite funny (was that a Vulva joke) and it's possibly a pretty entertaining affair to watch. I do personally still worry that the visuals will turn me off though. 

Has held steady in the list since 2014 to be fair too.

Monster House looks quite good, in fact I would go so far as to say it's among the best looking CG animations. Rudimentary character designs were intentional I think. But if you was weirded out by Tintin and Polar Express animation style, you may as well stay away from this, the movie also used the motion capture tech.

Edited by Goffe

On 06/10/2016 at 3:05 PM, chasmmi said:

115th - The Polar Express

64pts - 6 votes, 1 top 10  (2014: 85th Down 30)

A drop of 30 places is pretty steep, Wonder what that is a sign of... 

You can put the blame on me here. I had it in my top 10 in 2014, now I dropped it out of my new list entirely.

Edited by Goffe

8 hours ago, chasmmi said:

105th - Paprika

69pts - 6 votes, (2014: 149th: Up 44)

A film that has very little to do with spices I believe.

Well that is an odd trailer. I really may use this list to pick two or three new Japanese films and see if they land with me or not. 

Another big position riser too which will please the anime section of the voter pool. 

Manohla Dargis spilling some major tea at the expense of American animators in that trailer quote there. @Nutella of Arabia would be proud.

• Like 1

100th - Ghost in the Shell

71pts - 5 votes, 1 top 5, 1 top 10 (2014: 135th: Up 35)

Ok, am pretty certain that this one is Japanese... oh no my mistake, it's the ScarJo remake one.

I remember the DVD cover for this film, but sorry to say that is as close as I have come to watching it. Watching the trailer, the film looks like it could be cool, although 2016 me worries that a mid-nineties film where the internet plays a big role has the potential to feel very dated to a new viewer today and that would be my main concern now.

Obviously the film is massively famous and one of the big name Japanese animes to not come from Ghibli, talking cats, talking electro rats or the like.

Another film with a strong increase, possibly suggests that we are due a couple of fallers soon.  

• Like 9

99th - The Triplets of Belleville

72pts - 8 votes, (2014: 86th: Down 13)

I may have accidentally pasted in a Stella Artois advert instead of the film by mistake.

Looking at the animation, I am guessing/assuming that this and the Ernest and Celeste film may share some creative minds. I hear this name come up a lot when animation is discussed and is potentially one of the best examples of Euromation for either fans of the genre or people interested in giving it a try. 

The film has dropped a little though, possibly to accomodate the surge of Japanese and other risers. 

• Like 10

98th - The Peanuts Movie

72pts - 8 votes, (2014: N/A)

I absolutely hate this film. Which is probably the best news Peanuts fans could hear. 

I have always disliked all things Charlie Brown. I hate the moaning nature of the main character, the whiny girlfriend, it stupid kid with the blanket, even that fucking dog and his stupid sidequests. I especially despise the way adults talk.

This film captures all of those aspects perfectly and as such is a film that I hate, but fans of original peanuts stuff should probably really appreciate and adore and at the end of the day that is a great thing.

If I had loved this film, it would mean the makers sacrificed or removed all the quirks that makes Peanuts Peanuts. So I can understand its place on the list despite my own personal feelings. 

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, chasmmi said:

I absolutely hate this film. Which is probably the best news Peanuts fans could hear. 

I have always disliked all things Charlie Brown. I hate the moaning nature of the main character, the whiny girlfriend, it stupid kid with the blanket, even that fucking dog and his stupid sidequests. I especially despise the way adults talk.

This film captures all of those aspects perfectly and as such is a film that I hate, but fans of original peanuts stuff should probably really appreciate and adore and at the end of the day that is a great thing.

If I had loved this film, it would mean the makers sacrificed or removed all the quirks that makes Peanuts Peanuts. So I can understand its place on the list despite my own personal feelings. 

Oh shit, now I have to watch this movie.

Not sure who's the "Whiny Girlfriend", though.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

Oh shit, now I have to watch this movie.

Not sure who's the "Whiny Girlfriend", though.

The girl always bother the kid with the piano. Well to be fair I pretty much equally dislike all the female characters... and the male characters, and the animal characters :)