TalismanRing

WEEKEND ESTIMATES: GOTT: 24.66 | BOAN 7.1 | PERE 15 | DEEP 11.75 | MID SCHOOL 6.9

http://deadline.com/2016/10/the-girl-on-the-train-birth-of-a-nation-weekend-box-office-1201832560/

Universal’s release of DreamWorks’ The Girl on the Train collected $1.23M from Thursday night showtimes starting at 7PM. How that stacks up to previous comps: 20th Century Fox’s Gone Girl, which was also based on female-skewing bestselling novel, drew $1.2M in its Thursday night previews before posting a $13.1M Friday, $37.5M weekend.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, CJohn said:

LMAO EVERYTHING IS FUCKED.

25M weekend coming.

Maybe.  I don't think it will perform like GG, that had better reviews o/w that brought in more non book fans and an older demo (75% over 25)  I don't know if this can do the same.  This could be more front loaded like Bad Moms

Edited by TalismanRing

Okay can someone explain to me why this will open at :25 with the same Thursday number as Gone Girl? I don't get it? Why would this be more front-loaded then Gone Girl? I give up. I'm handing in my box office card. I don't understand the box office anymore.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Baumer liked Blair Witch said:

Okay can someone explain to me why this will open at :25 with the same Thursday number as Gone Girl? I don't get it? Why would this be more front-loaded then Gone Girl? I give up. I'm handing in my box office card. I don't understand the box office anymore.

Gone Girl had better reviews and was a more "high brow" movie given the Fincher direction and the Oscar buzz. GOTT probably will have worse legs generally and skew younger. Plus, midights are bigger than ever now. 

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, Baumer liked Blair Witch said:

I'll stick with 28-30. WOM is already mixed (59% audience on RT) means it won't build up momentum over today/the weekend like gone girl.

However if you're right and this does 35-39M this weekend I will never doubt you again.

19 minutes ago, Baumer liked Blair Witch said:

10pm previews for Gone Girl vs. 7pm for Girl on the Train... not to mention the difference in reviews/buzz.

• Like 2