TalismanRing

WEEKEND ESTIMATES: GOTT: 24.66 | BOAN 7.1 | PERE 15 | DEEP 11.75 | MID SCHOOL 6.9

1 hour ago, Frozen said:

The only movie I know of that supposed to come out this weekend was Monsters High and that was canceled when Universal took over GOTT and didn't want two movies coming out the same weekend. 

Birth of a Nation was actually scheduled on this date after GOTT, back before the scandal. 

Gambit, but that being moved had nothing to do with GOTT

Today was... fun. Power nearly went out at the thetare this morning, the projector in theatre 4 showing miss peregrine completely shut down with (thankfully only) 20ish people in it. Then the heating in theatre 5 showing girl on the train broke and it became freezing cold in there, then the theatre showing the opera started showing scenes in slow motion (fixed that pretty quick though) and finally the debit machine at a few of the concession tills stopped working. 

Now ow having one of those happen once every few months is unlucky. All on the same day...?

• Like 2

19 hours ago, filmlover said:

I'm inclined to think the mediocre reviews for The Girl on the Train kinda took the wind out of its sails heading into the weekend. This is still a decent opening but it's pretty obvious it's not gonna make half of what Gone Girl did in total.

In hindsight I think even with better reviews and better public reception it wouldn't have come close to Gone Girl. The books were equally very popular but Gone Girl had a bigger movie star, an a-list director and most importantly a very clear hook-y premise. Even with better reception and buzz it would have opened to just over 30m and then legged its way to close or over the 100m mark, but it wasn't getting within 60 mill. of Gone Girl's total.

13 minutes ago, Joel M said:

In hindsight I think even with better reviews and better public reception it wouldn't have come close to Gone Girl. The books were equally very popular but Gone Girl had a bigger movie star, an a-list director and most importantly a very clear hook-y premise. Even with better reception and buzz it would have opened to just over 30m and then legged its way to close or over the 100m mark, but it wasn't getting within 60 mill. of Gone Girl's total.

Agreed. I actually had it pegged for a $30M opening flat originally but it ended up missing it.