TalismanRing

WEEKEND ESTIMATES: GOTT: 24.66 | BOAN 7.1 | PERE 15 | DEEP 11.75 | MID SCHOOL 6.9

The Girl with the Train is a little underwhelming. Even with the mediocre reviews, I expected that the strength of the book sales would be enough to drive it to $30 million. Clearly, the reviews took their toll. Legs probably won't be great in the face of so much competition for adults in the coming weeks, but we'll see; there doesn't appear to be anything gunning as hard for adult women as this one for a while.

Miss Peregrine held up just a little weaker than The Maze Runner, which is somewhat encouraging for long-term prospects. With strong international numbers factored in, a domestic total around $85-90 million would be solid.

Deepwater Horizon held up fairly well, even if it doesn't stand a chance of turning a profit theatrically.

The Magnificent Seven leveled out well, but it's probably not going to have enough gas in the tank to hit $100 million.

Storks had a good hold, and should continue to hold well against the lack of direct competition for its target audience.

Not bad for The Birth of a Nation, all things considered. It's a brutal film that needed all the Oscar hype it could get to be successful, so seeing it pull $7 million in wide release right out of the gate with merely good reviews and the Nate Parker scandal isn't bad.

Middle School barely registered on the radar, as expected.

I'm surprised that Masterminds didn't crash and burn, but it's probably in for some rough holds as soon as theatres start dropping it.

I'm happy to see that Queen of Katwe held up well. It's a genuinely inspiring film, so hopefully it continues to find some sort of audience.

LOL at the Sausage Party re-release. I loved the film and really wanted to see it hit $100 million, but this last-ditch attempt to get it there was almost comical.

October has been not the greatest this year. It could be the least-attended October in five years. November should make some $$$ with a big amount of films coming out next month and December could make a decent amount as well. 2016 could possibly become the new record but barely. 

I fully hope/expect to love at least three of those five films. ;)

I mean, I don't want to sound biased or anything, but given past precedent: La La Land, Moonlight, and Arrival all sound right up my alley, and the trailer for Manchester by the Sea looks utterly fantastic. Elle also looks really damn good, but I'll grudgingly and shamefully admit to non-English-language cinema being my blind spot.