Spidey Freak

Professor Marston & The Wonder Women | Moved Up to Oct 13 2017 | Sony produced Biopic on Wonder Woman creator | Luke Evans, Rebecca Hall, Bella Heathcote

1 hour ago, Cochofles said:

"NObody will ever publish this"

LOL

"That 'wonder woman' character...meh...it will never catch on."

I know that Annapurna is milking 75 years' worth of WW fandom's validation after being repeatedly told that the character will never work on a massive scale, and that's ok. But I have reservations about depicting the women here as the ones being sceptical over Marston's ideas. Wasn't it his wife who suggested the character be a woman in the first place? Agreed that the BDSM element was too kooky but that was just one aspect to the character. Kind of pushes the "Women are too practical to be creative" belief (a belief which only exists in creative fields, otherwise of course women are too overtly emotional and namby pamby to handle traditionally significant male roles :P)

It's just a clip though so obviously I can't judge the entire movie from it. But I hope they show the contributions Elizabeth Marston and Olive Byrne made to the character and her world.

55 minutes ago, Frozen said:

Well that is what the story is about. People hated it in the beginning. Especially men. The books were burned and Marston was physically attacked. 

The comics were a major success when they released in the 40's. This was during the height of World War II when women were, for the first time, encouraged to be more independent and take on traditionally "male" professionals to make up for the lack of men who were overseas fighting. So the character proved to be an incredibly inspiring figure for women who were taking charge. Throughout most of the decade, the comics had massive sales.

It was until the 50's, after Marston's death and weaker successors took over, in a post-WWII era when men had returned from war and taken back their jobs while women were encouraged to return to traditional domestic roles, that the character saw a drop in her sky high popularity. This also coincided with the launch of the Comics Code, the result of the witch hunt-y like paranoid mentality against anyone and anything that bucked the norm in the 50's. I don't think Marston was alive during the enormous backlash the comic saw, am I right @Cochofles?

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 3

Could this be happening? TWO well-reviewed films in 2017 that feature Wonder Woman? 

Like @Spidey Freak mentioned before, 76 years waiting for Diana to get her cinematic close-up, and what we finally get is an embarrassment of riches. 

:D

(Justice League , the ball is in your court now; don't disappoint us WW fans...) 

DIG059997_1._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

To be honest, what would really make me happy about a Professor Marston & The Wonder Women breakout is the possibility of having another female director (Angela Robinson, a woman of color too!) get increased clout in Hollywood.

?format=1000w

Edited by Cochofles
  • Like 4

On 9/11/2017 at 0:38 AM, Spidey Freak said:

Could Hall be a lock for a BSA nom at the least? Other than Pfeiffer and Janney, who else are currently frontrunners? 

Mary J. Blige in Dee Rees' Mudbound ?  I keep hearing that her performance is the kind of transformative show of force that makes Academy members go nuts with praise and admiration...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Cochofles said:

Mary J. Blige in Dee Rees' Mudbound ?  I keep hearing that her performance is the kind of transformative show of force that makes Academy members go nuts with praise and admiration...

The Best Supporting Actress field is stacked this year. Usually it's the weakest of the acting categories.