MCKillswitch123

#UnpopularOpinions: Movies you think will overperform vs. movies you think will underperform given general expectations

I'll just say that going back and reading some of these predictions is pretty hilarious, but hey, hindsight always does that to you.

I mean, I'm one of those who had MPR hitting 400M (just thought it had everything to do it, especially after Jumanji doing it even against TLJ), so who the hell am I to talk. But I'm proud of getting Annabelle: Creation and Coco's numbers correct :ph34r:

For 2019, some smaller movies that I think are worth mentioning:

• I'm sensing that A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood could be as big a hit as A Star Is Born or Bohemian Rhapsody were. I wouldn't be shocked if it hit 200M.
  • I think people are sleeping on Good Boys' potential. I can see why people would be skeptical, but I think it could be a hilarious movie and a breakout. It's Jacob fucking Tremblay and Seth Rogen produces. Have some faith, folks.
  • Meanwhile, another potential October awards hopeful, The Woman In The Window..... I dunno, I'm not feeling that one as a huge contender like a few people I've seen. It's a Rear Window rip-off helmed by a very hit-or-miss director. Amy Adams has a lot of pull but I don't see this doing that much better than The Girl On The Train (maybe The Accountant numbers if it's good).
  • Gemini Man isn't coming anywhere near 100M DOM if it stays in its current release date. A lot of adult competition (including Woman In The Window, even if that skews female) and Joker opens in the same weekend. I'd move it to early November, where another Paramount cerebral sci-fi movie, Arrival, made bank and garnered Oscar buzz.
Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1