MCKillswitch123

#UnpopularOpinions: Movies you think will overperform vs. movies you think will underperform given general expectations

Just now, Grand Moff said:

You're right, 750m is probably a more reasonable ceiling.

Holy shit nice quip, we got iron man and ironjimbo in the same thread. At least you acknowledged this is an unpopular opinion which is more than I expected from you.

Haha I don't think Avatar 2 will do that badly, I mean $900M worldwide? I dunno, hard to imagine. I can see it doing only $1.2B worldwide or so, but it seemed to do a nice foreign split so even imagining it "only" hits $400M stateside then it hits $800M international. Then again, I guess nothing is guaranteed. If audiences don't find it that compelling it could fall short of $400M I suppose.

1 minute ago, JonathanLB said:

Haha I don't think Avatar 2 will do that badly, I mean $900M worldwide? I dunno, hard to imagine. I can see it doing only $1.2B worldwide or so, but it seemed to do a nice foreign split so even imagining it "only" hits $400M stateside then it hits $800M international. Then again, I guess nothing is guaranteed. If audiences don't find it that compelling it could fall short of $400M I suppose.

No one remembers it anymore or even talks about it. The only people who do remember it I know are people like my 64 year old mother and her friends.

I see it doing 300m dom and 500m int.

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

Did the public talk about the mahatten project before the BOOM? $3b is the floor, $4.5 is possible.

Saying $3B is the floor for a 9-year gap between sequels for a film no one currently talks about is like saying that Billy Lynn will get a re-release and it will get 300M in that re-release.

• Like 1

Did the public talk about the mahatten project before the BOOM? $3b is the floor, $4.5 is possible.

The only way this is happening is if the American economy implodes and every film is making 100b minimum thanks to inflation.

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

Saying $3B is the floor for a 9-year gap between sequels for a film no one currently talks about is like saying that Billy Lynn will get a re-release and it will get 300M in that re-release.

Could not have said it better my friend.

Why does the sequel part even matter? Cameron made the highest grossing film of all time, not once, but twice though? Without being an adaption or a sequel, new fresh Cameron originals can make $2.7b in 2009.

3 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Why does the sequel part even matter? Cameron made the highest grossing film of all time, not once, but twice though? Without being an adaption or a sequel, new fresh Cameron originals can make $2.7b in 2009.

Why would people see a sequel to something they no longer have interest in?

Why would people see a sequel to something they no longer have interest in?

Are you honestly suggesting that being a sequel to the highest grossing film of all time will have a negative effect on it's box office?

Either that or you're completely disregarding Jim's box office record.

Are you honestly suggesting that being a sequel to the highest grossing film of all time will have a negative effect on it's box office?

Either that or you're completely disregarding Jim's box office record.

You've completely disregarded Star Wars' box office record too :rofl:.  He got lucky and captured lightning in a bottle twice.  No one cares about Avatar anymore.

Just now, That One Guy said:

You've completely disregarded Star Wars' box office record too :rofl:.  He got lucky and captured lightning in a bottle twice.  No one cares about Avatar anymore.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?view2=worldwide&yr=1991&p=.htm

Hmmm, could it be that Cameron is THE BEST blockbuster director in existence? Can't be arsed to debate speilberg but that puts top 2 unless you're insane.

3 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?view2=worldwide&yr=1991&p=.htm

Hmmm, could it be that Cameron is THE BEST blockbuster director in existence? Can't be arsed to debate speilberg but that puts top 2 unless you're insane.

Star Wars has topped the yearly chart multiple times.  Your point is?

7 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Stop diverting we ain't talking about Star Wars, we're talking about Avatar 2 and Cameron "striking lightning twice".

You claimed he has done multiple hits by pointing to T2's gross, and it topping the year.  So I pointed to Star Wars winning the year multiple times, yet for some reason, you seem to downplay its success a lot more than Cameron.

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

You claimed he has done multiple hits by pointing to T2's gross, and it topping the year.  So I pointed to Star Wars winning the year multiple times, yet for some reason, you seem to downplay its success a lot more than Cameron.

What I've said in other threads are completely unrelated to the points at hand, you've ignored every point I've said in here.

As for Star Wars, I've never downplayed episodes 1-6, you're putting words in my mouth. I don't particulaly know what you mean when you say I downplay star wars box office, I don't

I just say the TFA was terrible and predicted R1 to make under 450m dom which was reasonable at the time, my current prediction is about ~500m.

• Like 1