CJohn

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum | 17 MAY 2019 | 15th Most Profitable Movie of 2019

9 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I am not sure why the hype this round for John wick 3 is usually high, considering the last one didn't even make 200m WW.

Is John wick 1 and 2 were sort of cult favourite? 

John Wick 1 -> 2:

the opening weekend doubled

the domestic total doubled

the world wide gross almost doubled

AND it still just barely missed a 3x multi.

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I am not sure why the hype this round for John wick 3 is usually high, considering the last one didn't even make 200m WW.

John Wick was a cult favourite after the first film.

John Wick is a beloved action franchise after the second.

• Like 4

The second one did less than 200 WW because of shitty distribution in foreign markets, it was barely released in Australia, wasn't released in some countries or didn't have wide opening, it would have made 200+ otherwise. This one should have much better organized distribution, so results should be much much better.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WittyUsername said:

Could this possibly be the movie that will have the honor of dethroning Avengers: Endgame from number one spot for the weekend?

This seems like a good bet at this point. JW3 presales seem really strong so I'm thinking it should at least open over 40m which is where I'd expect Endgame is looking at next weekend if not a couple million less.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Firepower said:

The second one did less than 200 WW because of shitty distribution in foreign markets, it was barely released in Australia, wasn't released in some countries or didn't have wide opening, it would have made 200+ otherwise. This one should have much better organized distribution, so results should be much much better.

I’d almost forgotten about that. 

Fuck eOne. 

@aabattery thoughts?

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

20 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

The original had a good trailer with a simple and somewhat silly premise. The action scenes presented in the trailer coupled with Keanu's "Yeah, I'm thinking I'm back." was a nice tip of the hat to fans who grew up with his 90's action cinema. Turns out the film was not only littered with excellent action, but had a nice little world tucked beneath all of that bravado. The second expanded that world of assassins with interesting little footnotes. Pop culture latched onto it, and now we have multiple games, comics, and a TV show. Arguably, the most internationally beloved original action character since...Rambo (despite being loosely translated from First Blood). Obviously, this is a better trilogy than Rambo. So, it's never really been a cult thing.

Edited by ThePhasmid