Jonwo

Wonka | December 15, 2023 | TIMOTHEE IS WILLY WONKA FAM | 6th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

Just now, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Nepotism is such a sad thing, this kid has neither charism or acting skills to play a complex character like Wonka, and yet, he got the job without even doing a test.

He’s still riding off the coattails of Call Me by Your Name. He was amazing in that but meh since then. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mr Impossible said:

You’re forgetting Five Nights at Freddie’s. More than 10x its budget.

Yeah , it's just for pure box office . The Top 3 since Barbenheimer :

1) : The Meg 2 : 395M

2 ) : Hunger Games : around 300-320M at final

3 ) : FNAF : 290-295M

81% with 52 reviews but the ones who liked it really loved it 

Anyway, even the negatives are describing a crowdpleaser, maybe flawed but nothing that usually annoys the general audiences 

IDK about the opening, it’s looking < 30M, but the delight of Christmas release is that as long the WOM is great, it doesn’t matter. 

If WOM is good as i’m expecting, i’m fully expecting a 25-30M OW but a 200M DOM. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Mr Impossible said:

White privilege???

Yes, Timothee hasn't proven himself to be a great actor, he's not good at roles that require charisma, and he hasn't proven to have the comedic timing to be considered a diverse actor, but people treat him like he's one of the best new talents. If he was a black actor (and wasn't a nepobaby, mainly), he wouldn't be treated like this

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 3

2 minutes ago, JimmyB said:

80% on RT out of 55 reviews 7.5 out of 10 average rating. I just can't stop thinking this is Mary Poppins Returns all over again from the RT score, to the release date, to it being a musical. 

I truly don’t know how critics liked that one that much. Certainly an odd one, but it’s way more exception than rule when it comes to how holiday family fare is received by critics vs audience. 

19 minutes ago, Litio said:

Yes, Timothee hasn't proven himself to be a great actor, he's not good at roles that require charisma, and he hasn't proven to have the comedic timing to be considered a diverse actor, but people treat him like he's one of the best new talents. If he was a black actor (and wasn't a nepobaby, mainly), he wouldn't be treated like this

He's still young and he already has an Oscar nom. Hollywood decided to make him happen, you can't stop this train

33 minutes ago, Mr Impossible said:

He’s still riding off the coattails of Call Me by Your Name. He was amazing in that but meh since then. 

Tom Holland is a stronger actor but because he went the Spider-Man/blockbuster route (which by the way Chalamet would have gone had he gotten Spider-Man) he's not perceived as being better than Chalamet.

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

I truly don’t know how critics liked that one that much. Certainly an odd one, but it’s way more exception than rule when it comes to how holiday family fare is received by critics vs audience. 

I just don't think Wonka plays like Jumanji. A musical isnt going to play to the same audience as Jumanji.  I think it limits its breakout 

4 minutes ago, JimmyB said:

I just don't think Wonka plays like Jumanji. A musical isnt going to play to the same audience as Jumanji.  I think it limits its breakout 

Musical really has nothing to do with its potential. Musical helps more than hurts if people like it. It just all depends on audience reception. 

13 minutes ago, JimmyB said:

80% on RT out of 55 reviews 7.5 out of 10 average rating. I just can't stop thinking this is Mary Poppins Returns all over again from the RT score, to the release date, to it being a musical. 

Big problem with MPR was that the songs sucked. Musicals live and die by their music (I know, duh, but it bears repeating). If Wonka has a banger or two on the soundtrack, it will make bank. If not, it will fizzle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

FWIW Roald Dahl adaptations have never been particularly big in the US (the Wilder Wonka was not a box office success in theaters back in its day it seems), with 2005's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory being the notable exception (combination of 30+ years of nostalgia for the Wilder version + Depp having a true Star Moment fresh off of Pirates of the Caribbean 1), so if this can do $100M+ here (especially for a prequel that promises neither Charlie or - perhaps more importantly - the chocolate factory as we know it) that alone would be a minor win, even if it would have to rely on overseas auds to turn a profit.

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

Musical really has nothing to do with its potential. Musical helps more than hurts if people like it. It just all depends on audience reception. 

I don't agree. I think the Musical hurts it. Live action musicals vs a fun action adventure movies released over the Christmas.  The fun for families action movies like Jumanji, Aquaman, NWH,  Night at the Museum have a greater chance to hit vs Greatest Showman, Mary Poppins, Cats, West Side Story, Pitch Perfect 3.  I think the Live Action Musical piece limits your audience.  Guess we'll see maybe audience's preferences have changed.