Plain Old Tele

Dr. Strange (2016)

Dr. Strange (2016)  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Basically what I've come to expect from a Marvel film which is solid entertainment, good visuals, with a few light laughs mixed in.

I recommend that people who found it boring lighten up a little :) 

Rating: A

Edited by Rsyu
  • Like 2

On 11/11/2016 at 11:45 AM, Rsyu said:

Basically what I've come to expect from a Marvel film which is solid entertainment, good visuals, with a few light laughs mixed in.

I recommend that people who found it boring lighten up a little :) 

Rating: A

You know what my review is similar to urs!!! 

perfect i wanted to post something like what u have posted! 

8/10 

The action and set-pieces stand out a lot from the relatively more cookie cutter Marvel heroes/villians, and Strange isn't really a character you actively are excited rooting for like Tony Stark, Peter Quill, and so on. I know they try to establish intentionally that he was a jerk early in the movie, but I feel that we never really get a reason to sympathize with him deeply. However, the action and set pieces, especially the bargain sequence, are fun enough that I would definitely recommend it.

On 11/4/2016 at 9:39 PM, eddyxx said:

[Dormamamu, I've come to Bargain! 

Dormamamu, I've come to Bargain! 

Dormamamu, I've come to Bargain!] xhella

i hate this but ghjfzsgvfshgdfvsdhf GOD

72/100 (C), twas ok

Meh on the storytelling, great visuals, okay score

benedict was cute in this or whatever but anyways

Rachel McAdams was great, loved ha

Favorite Part of the movie? The Levitation Cape. Just all the scenes with the Levitation Cape.

Dunno what else to say about it, it was fine I guess. I'll probably have to rewatch it or something to fully understand everything that was going on.

I miss when highly rated  superhero movies were highly rated because they were excellent (like the Nolan trilogy, Captain America TWS, Spiderman, etc). Now they just give out 90% < to any average superhero movie (Doctor Strange, Civil War) 

Liked the end credits because I got to see Hemsworth's fine ess after 2 long hours of Beneditty cumbatitty 

Hennyweys, can't wait for Thor 3! ?

• Like 1

Saw this on the Disney cruise (along with Zootopia and Jungle Book!). Really enjoyed this film, probably my favorite superhero film of the year. The humor was good and the action was great also. I enjoyed Cumberbach in this role (strange hearing him in a American accent!).

A-

I really enjoyed this movie, it was very entertaining, and the visual sequences made it worth the price of admission alone.  I think the movie hits all of the right beats, and doesn't take itself too seriously (which is good for what it is), however I did feel like it rushed through those beats.

I think the movie needed more time to build and let you discover the world.  Things just kind of happen, and it leaves you going, "Well, okay I guess he perfected that now.".  I also felt as if the side characters could have used more time to build.  I would have maybe cut back on some of the action and spend more time building to it.  In some ways, the crazy visual effects shown weren't always earned.

I did really enjoy the creativity of it though, and it kept me engaged the entire time through.  This isn't as good as Iron Man, GOTG, or The Avengers but it's better than the rest of Marvel's list.

Marvel is fairly consistent at delivering decent extravaganzas.  With Doctor Strange, Marvel didn't hit the bullseye but they still delivered a very solid movie that's much better than their average.

B+

• Like 1

Pretty good movie with some, for the most part, solid visual effects and the performances were fine (most of the time Cumberbatch reminded me too much of his Sherlock character). The villain once again is weak which is par for Marvel yet I was at least invested in the story. I am interested to see where the sequel goes especially with Ejiofor being the big bad the next go around.

****/*****, (B+, 7.9/10, 3.25/4)

Man I did not like this movie. Within the first 25 minutes of the movie.....

1. Strange is introduced as an arrogant doctor (for about one minute)

2. Strange gets horribly injured and loses his powers

3. Strange gets frustrated by not being able to be cured

4. Strange spends months searching for a cure and keeps failing

5. Strange hears about a miracle cure

6. Strange sets out to find out about that cure, and randomly does at a basketball court where the guy gives the info with no dramatic hesitation

7. Strange travels to a far-away land and searches everywhere for this place

8. Strange finds the place and rejects it as stupid

9. Strange is literally teleported out of his body and has a spiritual awakening

10. Strange becomes desperate to get in and spends all his energy fighting to get in

11. Strange is instantly welcomed as a student and every concept of the movie is revealed in one minute

12. Strange decides to move his life here and start training

13. Strange starts gaining magical powers and becomes a strong wizard

14. Strange is well-accepted and bonds with every major member of the temple

25 minutes! There's not a single scene in this entire film that breathes. Every single moment is rushed through terribly. There's no magic, no development, no character....it's just a shoddy excuse for a bunch of mediocre jokes and action scenes. It's a movie where a guy discovers a secret temple and becomes an incredibly powerful wizard, and somehow these events are treated with the same amount of shock and awe as someone buying a used Toyota Corolla. After so many MCU movies, maybe there's just no sense of wonder left. We've seen entire planets get leveled and zillions of characters get introduced with crazy powers, so really, why even make the effort to make people feel something? Gotta sell dem Happy Meals. 

Still excited for Black Panther and GOTG 2, though, the only entities in the MCU I care about anymore. 

• Like 3

At this point it's clear that I'm clearly not the target audience for these Marvel offerings, and yet I'll be damned if that doesn't stop me from catching every viewing they put out.

The source material of this comic is about as outlandish as it gets for Marvel cinema.  Sorcerers, time loops, dark dimensions, and other mystical elements are at play here.  As a viewer one can only hope that the source material allows the film to attain some differentiation from other comic offerings.  Unfortunately for the viewer, such is not entirely the case here.

Despite the source material, this remains a Marvel origin story through and through.  The execution of the story and the character dynamics all just feel too familiar to me at this point.  Another throwaway romance and cringe-worthy attempts at comic relief is icing on the damn cake.  It's lazy and formulaic film-making that is driving by dollar signs above all else.

The strength in the film lies in the visuals and action sequences.  In this respect it does tread into new territory.  Unfortunately, it's not leveraged with ample characterization, and as a result it rings hollow.  With that said, I will give credit when it's due, and the action scenes were unique and a lot of fun at times.

Typical Marvel viewing.  I'm looking forward to Logan as that seems to be the flick that finally strays far from the damn formula.

• Like 2

On 11/6/2016 at 2:15 AM, lilmac said:

Pros:

Acting: Cumberbatch embodies the character perfectly and Tilda Swinton was a gem

Story: I think the writers did a great job of grounding the supernatural elements of the story (not that supernatural is wrong)

FX: Some of the best sfx we've ever seen IMO

Cons:

It doesn't belong in the MCU. As grounded as the writers tried, the story was a bit too cosmicy for my taste. Vision I can handle and even Guardians of the Galaxy.  But this was so out of sync with the rest of the MCU. (I kept wondering why the supernatural elements weren't common knowledge as that doesn't appear to be the case in other MCU movies)

Rachel McAdams muted reaction to seeing an astral projection. Within seconds she accepts what she sees (without any indication she believed she was still hallucinating) and continues operating on Stephen Strange. 

Why was the NYC skyline curving and bending into itself again? Some of the NYC fight scenes seemed more like the FX team showing off than having any logical construction. 

Why exactly did the cape accept Dr. Strange? How did he become so adept so quickly. This is a nitpick but in that scene where he swung the cape onto his back, he did so as if it was a practiced move. As if he had worn the cape for much longer than few minutes. Perhaps he learned about its existence in his studies. *shrug*

B-

This post got a @Blank Panther like today - 16 months later. Haha!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Saw it again last night.  Liked it more.  Still feel like it's too rushed but you certainly pick up a LOT more now that I have seen IW.  I gave this an F originally, I'd up it to a B.  I don't like how quickly he picks things up, things that have taken others a life time to learn, but when you get past that, it becomes a pretty fun movie.  

7/10

• Like 1