Plain Old Tele

Dr. Strange (2016)

Dr. Strange (2016)  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

9 hours ago, filmlover said:

I'm not sure how one could go from an F on the first viewing to a B on a second unless they were completely inebriated the first time. :lol:

I hated it the first time.  It just seemed like white noise.  But now it makes more sense, seeing IW helps.

My opinion on this movie is pretty much the same I had for Ant-Man. Both of those projects could be a lot more interesting by going all in on their ridiculous premises but they are always held back by a boring basic af origin story. Stephen Strange is barely a character (you get a better sense of him in Infinity War with 1/5 of the screentime) and the story just goes through the motions while every character hurls exposition at him. Strange's magic cape and Wong are the most memorable character if you really think about it. And I had forgotten how worthless Mikelsen's villain is, truly one of the worst in the entire mcu.

The Dormamu finale though was a pretty clever closure to the whole story and every time the movie gets trippy in the mirror dimension it becomes mesmerizing. Let's hope for a better and far weirder sequel.

Tilda was also more of an exposition machine than a character but her death scene was surprisingly emotional, almost poetic.

B-.