CJohn

Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace 3D OS thread (46.1M)

With just 100 mio worldwide it's a flop anyway. I don't think Lucas will spend so much money to convert the whole saga into 3D for nothing. Right now I would not bet on something like ANH in 3D at all.Well, maybe he has some amazing deals with Panasonic or whatsoever who need some amazing stuff to push 3D TV.

With just 100 mio worldwide it's a flop anyway. I don't think Lucas will spend so much money to convert the whole saga into 3D for nothing. Right now I would not bet on something like ANH in 3D at all.Well, maybe he has some amazing deals with Panasonic or whatsoever who need some amazing stuff to push 3D TV.

How is that a flop? It's far from it. TPM was the litmus test to see if people still wanted to see it on the big screen and it passed with flying colours. It will do 45/55 and it will pave the way for all the SW to come back to the big screen.

If TPM finishes with maybe 100 mio worldwide Fox will be able to collect something like 40 mio USD. They subtract their distribution fee. Leaves the producer with maybe 35 mio USD. I guess Lucas paid all the other expenses. Conversion alone should be in the 15 mio ballpark, and at least 25 mio for worldwide p&a?Lucasfilms are in the red or might be lucky to reach break even, and if the next movies follow the SW re-release pattern in 97 it doesn't look good IMO.

• Like 2

But it's not about making money off TPM, not imo. It is (as i mentioned already) the litmus test. This will give them an idea as to how the others will perform. If TPM does 100 mill, then Clones should do about 75-80, Sith 100-125 and then the originals probably much more. It's a win for Fox and Lucas pinocchio.

But for Fox it isn't a win anyway since they only get a rather lousy distribution fee. And I don't see how it can be a win for Lucas either. Conversion and p&a won't become cheaper with AOTC and so on. So it's probably a loss for Lucas with those numbers.The idea that he can cover all those losses with ANH and the other OT flicks in 3D seems a little bit premature in my eyes.Lucas was always a business man. This whole TPM re-release is far away from the triumph he had with the 97 re-release. Which was his prime motivation to do the prequels in the end.The only reason to continue right now could be -- because he doesn't wan't to lose his face (and he can easily afford it, too).OR, as I wrote, he has some amazing deals with TV companies that want to push 3D and badly need new content.

It probably doesn't matter if TPM or AOTC are theatrical flops. It's about promoting the BluRay editions and the partnership with Panasonic:Another 3D-related rumor has Panasonic bundling the TPM 3D Blu-ray with its home entertainment products later this year. Jason wonders if the 3D copy of the film will also be available as a standalone purchase...Jedi News picked up a rumor that Episode II may be re-released in 3D this August. The rumor comes from a Fox representative in the U.K. This would contradict what Lucasfilm sources, including Rick McCallum, having been saying -- that the films will be re-released at a rate of one every year...Could Lucas have changed the release pattern because TPM 3D didn't perform very well? So he can release ANH earlier? But it's just a rumor right now.