That One Girl

Weekend Thread | Saturday Asgrard pg 28 or 29 DS 32 Trolls 19 HR 5.8

3 hours ago, DAJK said:

I honestly think strange will be another guardians at this point.

ehhhh

it can't be another Guardians because Guardians was only Guardians because NOTHING ELSE was out (besides Ninja Turtles)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Uh, are we supposed to think it was cheaper than that, or more expensive?

As TalismanRing already stated, with $196m after tax rebates it went over budget.

As so many newer members seem to be here (and probably a lot additional silent readers...)

Why it is so sad that Deadline doesn't adjust their details:

usually we do not know the real budget details. But if a movie is filmed e.g. in UK, even we amateurs get the possibility for those as to get the (considerable) tax rebates there, the studios have to make their details public. hat let to a lot of articles worldwide in the case of GotG.

It did cost $232.3 to make, but that is not the budget you typically read about in charts...

That is usually the budget the studio will give the filmmakers. If the filmmakers go to a region with rebates they can stretch that budget out. For the studio / distribution's calculation is important what they paid in relation to BO, not what the filmmakers did to stretch their budget. In a way / to a degree.

One example

http://www.forbes.com/sites/csylt/2015/01/27/disney-reveals-guardians-of-the-galaxy-was-over-budget-at-232-million/#48f6f7f22f36

So GotG went over budget, but 'only' with $26m as far as the usual budget calculations go ($170m =/= $196m =/= $232.3m)

Hence the reason why so often people in the net start arguing over budget:

studio financed budget (= the one e.g. at BOM to see)

production budget = movie making, e.g. in filmed language, calculated in tax rebates, sometimes a city even pays for getting chosen to be filmed in, in oposite to e.g New York, where filmmakers have to pay a lot to get allowed to film there and so on.

distribution budget see advertising, dubbing,...

= simplfied list / description

• Like 5

Are matinees really a good sign for the OD numbers of a Marvel movie? I mean, wasn't Deadpool's OD tracking at low to mid 30's before pulling 48M? Guys, RTH IS WHOM WE NEED HERE.

My optimistic side trying to break out here.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, elcaballero said:

We're finally going to have a $200m domestic film! 

There will be a total of 3 for the month and then a total of possibly 4 or 5 films make $100 million this month. December has potentially 2 $200 million+ grossers, and overall 6 potential $100 million grossers. Not a bad way to end 2016. 

Does someone want to start a Thursday thread?

THE LIGHT BETWEEN OCEANS ends its theatrical run with $12.54M total.

INFERNO made $905K Thursday and earned $19.80M total through its first week.

THE ACCOUNTANT made $807K Thursday and has earned $64.90M total through three weeks.

JACK REACHER: NEVER GO BACK made $800K Thursday and has earned $43.66M total through two weeks.

OUIJA: ORIGIN OF EVIL made $395K Thursday and has earned $27.38M total through two weeks.

THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN made $433K Thursday for $67.95M total through four weeks.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, yjs said:

ah never mind, I misread Home's $52.1M debut as Trolls's. 

Either way a $40+ debut isn't bad for Trolls. DWA doesn't have a whole lot of big non-sequel openers, Home was in a desperate family market with appealing visuals a Lilo & Stitch kinda vibed film. 

3 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Are matinees really a good sign for the OD numbers of a Marvel movie? I mean, wasn't Deadpool's OD tracking at low to mid 30's before pulling 48M? Guys, RTH IS WHOM WE NEED HERE.

My optimistic side trying to break out here.

Deadline said it was tracking 38% of CW matinees so they were using a Marvel barometer.  But it's still early - especially on the West Coat where it was barely noon when Deadline came out with their projections

1 hour ago, La Binoche said:

Hacksaw has a 93 audience score on RT. Mel is an awful person so are most people in the industry. At least he's awful and talented. Good for him. 

Mel Gibson can be an ignorant asshole but he's an incredibly gifted director.

I wish he would direct and star in a Predator or Terminator movie.

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Deadline said it was tracking 38% of CW matinees so they were using a Marvel barometer.  But it's still early - especially on the West Coat where it was barely noon when Deadline came out with their projections

Another thing: Deadline was saying Strange is performing poorly in the midwest but great on the east coast (and vice versa for Hacksaw).

Edited by WrathOfHan