kayumanggi

BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY | Nov 2 2018 | Fox | Rami Malek | Queen biopic | Bryan Singer fired | Kindly avoid libeling anyone in this thread

2 hours ago, TombRaider said:

bad example. PC was never bigger than Queen. In fact he has a couple knows hits and thats it

In the US PC had 7 #1 hits, Queen had 2 and also PC albums are really successful.

But I'd say Queen aged incredibly well, like they were always popular, but different to other artists they never stopped being popular.

Edited by Taruseth

21 minutes ago, Taruseth said:

In the US PC had 7 #1 hits, Queen had 2 and also PC albums are really successful.

But I'd say Queen aged incredibly well, like they were always popular, but different to other artists they never stopped being popular.

Thing about Rock music is that it has 'legs' 

lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rebeccas said:

In the 80s Phil Collins had many number 1 hits vs Queen who had Another One Bites the Dust and then some pretty significant dry spells. 

Dude was an international superstar solo AND with Genesis since he took frontman duty after Peter Gabriel left turning them from a complex progressive rock band making 20 minutes long concept pieces into a AOR hit machine. (His solo career was way more successful than Mercury's). It's funny because he was headlining the same Live Aid as Queen duetting with Sting. Then in the same day he took a Concorde jet from London to perform the Live Aid concert in Philly, NA, solo and backing Led Zeppelin.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Taruseth said:

Yeah I think PC got solidly stuck in the “Dad music” label as time went on, in addition his conservative politics just made him into a bit of a laughing stock for a while. Queen seems to manage to find popularity with every new generation it seems from Wayne’s World to Shaun of the Dead and a slew of trendy film directors using their music constantly. 

Queen’s real genius comes from being so genre-bending like you have funky Another One Bites the Dust, a Liza Minnelli-esque Cabaret number like Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy, their two super hetero sports anthems and random folksy yeehaw songs like 39’. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rebeccas said:

It’s hard to say cause this movie has one big get out of jail card which is that Singer was fired and was known to be fighting with the actors on set (especially Rami) which gives everyone else involved a bit more sympathy than if he had directed the whole film. 

You can look at it that way, or you can say Singer directed the entire thing 'cept for the last two weeks of shooting. Either way I don't care if the filmmaker is a bad person or not, I care about the movie, and Bohemian Rhapsody is a mixed bag. I will defend it against accusations of homophobia, however, which are kinda sorta ludicrous given the way it ends. 

1 hour ago, tonytr87 said:

You can look at it that way, or you can say Singer directed the entire thing 'cept for the last two weeks of shooting. Either way I don't care if the filmmaker is a bad person or not, I care about the movie, and Bohemian Rhapsody is a mixed bag. I will defend it against accusations of homophobia, however, which are kinda sorta ludicrous given the way it ends. 

I definitely do not think it’s intentionally homophobic, but I do think the tragic gay stories are simply out of favor right now unlike maybe 10 years ago when the representation here would’ve been praised or at least given a pass. If you think about the popular LGBT films currently it’s like Call Me By Your Name, Love Simon, Moonlight, Carol, God’s Own Country, etc. Therefore the film seems to have tried to please everyone by including the AIDS diagnosis anachronistically but still end on a note of triumph but it’s very difficult to avoid the controversy with Freddie’s life cause in many ways it was the archetypical tragic gay story. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TombRaider said:

I wonder what the BR haters agenda is...

a) homophobes?

b) bitter beatles fans?

who knows

no agenda. just an embarrassingly mediocre biopic that felt 100% fake. I went in knowing almost nothing about Freddie mercury, and left knowing even less. I'm supposed to believe that he got AIDS the day before live aid? Just didn't believe anything on the screen. CGI Live aid = no thanks.

Also Rami Malek sounded like he was doing an impression of Tommy Wiseau.

7 minutes ago, Avatree said:

no agenda. just an embarrassingly mediocre biopic that felt 100% fake. I went in knowing almost nothing about Freddie mercury, and left knowing even less. I'm supposed to believe that he got AIDS the day before live aid? Just didn't believe anything on the screen. CGI Live aid = no thanks.

Also Rami Malek sounded like he was doing an impression of Tommy Wiseau.

did you even watch the movie?

it was something like that. Freddie convinces the band like a week before live aid, to do it, because hes just found out he has AIDS. just didn't believe anything in the film. then I looked it up afterwards and sure enough he got diagnosed 2 years after Live Aid.

8 minutes ago, Avatree said:

I'm supposed to believe that he got AIDS the day before live aid?

Officially he was not diagnosed until 87' and DEFINITELY did not tell his bandmates until much later. That's clearly the biggest liberty the film took by choosing to end with Live Aid, they were either going to have to gloss over AIDS altogether or dramatically change history. 

51 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Hide contents

I will admit its nice to see a drama grossing $800M worldwide, no idea when the last time that happened.

I guess American Sniper making $550m was probably the last result in this vein. Everything above $800m is either a cartoon or some kind of action/VFX spectacle film. 

1 minute ago, Rebeccas said:

I guess American Sniper making $550m was probably the last result in this vein. Everything above $800m is either a cartoon or some kind of action/VFX spectacle film. 

wow, yeah I just looked and BR is the highest grossing drama, other than  arguably Titanic. 

4 hours ago, Hatebox said:

Yes, someone not caring for a movie currently sitting on 62% RT must be a homophobe. 🙂

I think personally the film was all building up to the end and I liked the end a lot.

I think without it the film would not be as successful. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I think personally the film was all building up to the end and I liked the end a lot.

I think without it the film would not be as successful. 

that's how film-making works. you build the movie and deliver on what you built and if what came before was shaky, the crescendo will make people forget and forgive the bumpy ride. It's a rarity these days to nail the third act and especially climax. This nailed it, IW nailed it, Aquaman nailed. 

• Like 1