kayumanggi

X-MEN: DARK PHOENIX | June 7 2019 | Fox | Simon Kinberg to direct | Delayed to June

Isn’t there one more fox X-men movie? Thought it was more in the horror side or something? There was a trailer for it. What’s happening with that?

31 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I see the X Men fanboys two minute hate against the criticis has begun.

Why do some people have problems understanding that everybody is not going to like the same things you like?

And there is nothing at stake, here. The X men franchise is going on a hiatus and when it returns it will  be under new management. End of story. if you want to blem anybody, blame Rupert Murdoch for deciding to sell off Fox Studios....

And I a now convinced New Mutants will not see a general reelase since by all accounts that is a worse mess then DP was.

New Mutants will be released. The haters said Dark Phoenix wouldn’t be released either. 

Critics decided to hate this movie a few years ago. When you go in expecting to hate something like these critics did of course they will hate it! 

I’ll be in theaters seeing it April 2nd. 

4 minutes ago, Cookson said:

Isn’t there one more fox X-men movie? Thought it was more in the horror side or something? There was a trailer for it. What’s happening with that?

We all asking the same damn question. 

Posted (edited)

O/U Flopzilla 2 WW?

Edited by AJG

38 minutes ago, Firepower said:

This. Also I don't trust people who call WW a great movie.

And I don't trust people who say there's something wrong with the third act. The third act is the emotional heart of the film and the only reason it works so well on that level. Who cares if there's some lackluster VFX, there was in BP too. 

48 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

Christopher McQuarrie’s script > Bryan Singer’s direction 😉

William Goldman , the great screenwriter once said a lot of screenwriters get angry when they hear critics praise a film's "directors touches" when the screenwriter is the guy who wrote them in the script.......

I think Singer as a director is a Jekell/Hyde director  he can be very good or very bad, and you can never be sure which will turn up..........

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

And I don't trust people who say there's something wrong with the third act. The third act is the emotional heart of the film and the only reason it works so well on that level. Who cares if there's some lackluster VFX, there was in BP too. 

I'm glad people who seriously think that B&R level dialogues and terrible CGI fest are great don't trust me, I would be embarassed otherwise. And I'm also glad that fans of great action, plot, vfx and Michelle Williams perfomance in Venom don't trust me too.

Edited by Firepower

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, Cookson said:

It's "The New Mutants" and is in limbo.
It was pulled from a 2018 release because Fox felt it was unreleasble in it's current form. Now it's in Disney's court. General agreement..even from the director...it needs extensive reshoots, but if DP tanks Dsney might not be in the mood to throw good money in after bad. And New Mutants was a fairly low budget film..which makes it disposable.

I think the Mouse is waiting to see how DP does before deciding how much to spend in an attempt to save New Mutants.

It's scheduled for a April 2020 release, but I would not bet on that, particlualry if DP tanks at the box office.

Edited by dudalb

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Slicknickshady said:

New Mutants will be released. The haters said Dark Phoenix wouldn’t be released either. 

Critics decided to hate this movie a few years ago. When you go in expecting to hate something like these critics did of course they will hate it! 

I’ll be in theaters seeing it April 2nd. 

And the Two Minute Hate is here.....

Edited by dudalb

2 hours ago, Biggestgeekever said:

Say what you will about Apocalypse and The Last Stand, but a lot people's (baffling) favorite of these movies ends on this note

Magneto-X-Men-First-Class-Blu-Ray-Caps-m

What? My man Fass is styling in that crimson jacket

27 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Thank You! I could not agree more.

58 minutes ago, Cookson said:

Fox/Disney:

giphy.gif

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Why wouldn't they release New Mutants? If it's released at the right time, even if it's bad it will make Disney some pocket change and be profitable. And why would Disney care about further sullying the Fox* X-Men brand? A bad New Mutants movie would only exacerbate the thirst for a quality X-Men MCU re-boot. At this point it is more beneficial for Disney for these X-Men movies to be bad than for them to be fantastic, which would make fans want more of these X-Men.

45 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

My issue with the final act is that as great a talent as David Thewlis is, I feel like there’s just something about him that makes him kinda unconvincing as the villain. It doesn’t diminish anything else you’ve said about it, though.

18 minutes ago, GOATPeterJackson said:

Why wouldn't they release New Mutants? If it's released at the right time, even if it's bad it will make Disney some pocket change and be profitable. And why would Disney care about further sullying the Fox* X-Men brand? A bad New Mutants movie would only exacerbate the thirst for a quality X-Men MCU re-boot. At this point it is more beneficial for Disney for these X-Men movies to be bad than for them to be fantastic, which would make fans want more of these X-Men.

Movie studios should release bad movies to make people pay to see good movies🤔 By jove, I think you've cracked the DCEU  formula.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Probably the only reason Disney would pay for expensive re-shoots and plan to release the currently reported $40m Mutants would be if they were  contractually obligated to release it theatrically.   X-6 has a reported budget of $200m - it made sense to release it even if it costs 100m+ in marketing, even if they weren't contractually obliged.

30 minutes ago, GOATPeterJackson said:

Profitable is not guaranteed. Apocalypse was barely profitable. It's looking more probable than not that Dark Phoenix won't be profitable in theaters.

By all reports the budget is in the $175m-$200m range, which seems absurd given how small scale the film appears. I'm assuming this budget range accounts for the reshoots. Let's say $100m for marketing and other distribution fees, and this film needs to cross at least $450m (The Last Stand's gross, above X1, X2, F.C.) to start to break even.

The vibe I get from this is much like Star Trek Nemesis, I think the 9th Star Trek film in a decades long genre franchise where the main cast has all turned over. That franchise had a generally stable box office routine, but nosedived at the end, both critically and financially. I feel the same exact thing happening here.

Dark Phoenix, at the scale it appears to be, and the budget-looking production design, boring cinematography, and apparently lazy effects, should not have cost anywhere near $200m. If it was a lean mean $150m, this film at least stand a real chance on being profitable in theaters. Simon Kinberg should not have been running the circus.

New Mutants IMO has more value as a Disney+ exclusive. Treat it like Cloverfield Paradox, which would have flopped very hard in theaters.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, GOATPeterJackson said:

Why wouldn't they release New Mutants? If it's released at the right time, even if it's bad it will make Disney some pocket change and be profitable. And why would Disney care about further sullying the Fox* X-Men brand?

The general audience has no idea there is a difference.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, eddyxx said:

Fox/Disney:

giphy.gif

Fox put the New Mutants  in the Freezer a long time before the Merger was announced. Seems to be more a case of The Mouse inherting a problem child then anything else.

Edited by dudalb