kayumanggi

X-MEN: DARK PHOENIX | June 7 2019 | Fox | Simon Kinberg to direct | Delayed to June

This movie is...okay.  It's kind of a mess but I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy a good deal of it.  Definitely one of the weaker X-Men films though.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

This movie was bad. If you've seen The Last Stand, you have essentially seen the better version of this movie.

It's like to producers of this film knew it would be the last, so—like a farmer would with a sick dog—they took it out back and put it out of its misery. I never would have imagined the last X-Men film from Fox would feel so empty when I saw the first movie 19 years ago, but here we are.

Edited by NoobSaibot
  • Like 2

Just now, NoobSaibot said:

This movie was bad. If you've seen The Last Stand, you have essentially seen the better version of this movie.

Boy, who would have thought there comes a day when Brett Ratner is vindicated. 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Probably the only reason Disney would pay for expensive re-shoots and plan to release the currently reported $40m Mutants would be if they were  contractually obligated to release it theatrically.   X-6 has a reported budget of $200m - it made sense to release it even if it costs 100m+ in marketing, even if they weren't contractually obliged.

This. DP was sort of a "too big to fail" film, you had to try to bail it out.

Though from what I have read the intial budget was 150 Million, it was the massive reshoots that sent it into the 200 Million dollar range.

But even a 150 Million dollar budget film is not smething you just throw away without a lot of expliaing to do to the stockholders.

But New Mutants, at 40 Million dollars is disposable. Releasing and Marketing it is sure to cost more then the film itself.

If Disney is obligated legally to give NM a threrical release, and if DP fails at the box office  look for Disney to spend the minimum on the reshoots and marketing and pretty much dump it.

That Fox pulled the trigger on the DP reshoots, but held off on doing so for NM  seems to me to indicate the NM is a worse mess then DP was. Disney has inherited a troubled child.

That one of Disney's first acts with the X Men franchsie was to put the Gambit film out of it's misery show they are not inclined to want to spend money on Fox's pervious mistakes if they can avoid it.

• Like 1

This movie is definitely a lot better than The Last Stand.  Although that's not saying much.

5 minutes ago, NoobSaibot said:

It's like to producers of this film knew it would be the last, so—like a farmer would with a sick dog—they took it out back and put it out of its misery. I never would have imagined the last X-Men film from Fox would feel so empty when I saw the first movie 19 years ago, but here we are.

Asking for a friend, what if TLS is the worst X-Men film?

Just now, DAR said:

Asking for a friend, what if TLS is the worst X-Men film?

That's easy enough to answer: It can't be the worst when this movie exists.

Even if the film is OK, that will not be enough to save it with audiences who were burned by Apocalypse.

Normallly I think reviews do not matter all that much for this kind of film, but here they might well be important. A lot of people who hated Apocalypse were waiting to see the reaction to DP before plunking down their 12 bucks. Now a lot of them won't.

It will proably still get a 45 to 50 Million opening..the X Men brand is strong enough to guarantee that. But I think it's legs are going to be pretty bad. And I doubt the situation will be any better overseas.

2 minutes ago, NoobSaibot said:

That's easy enough to answer: It can't be the worst when this movie exists.

And if you throw in Wolverine Origins?

11 minutes ago, NoobSaibot said:

I know this has been said endlessly already, but what a shame that "Logan" could not have been the last Fox X men film and had the Francise go out on a High Note.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

origins is a good time at the movies

Its good moments were the montage of wars at the beginning and Ryan Reynolds without his mouth sewn shut.

Edited by Jay Beezy

6 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

As a comedy probably 

• Like 1

Origins is comedy gold.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Sam said:

Boy, who would have thought there comes a day when Brett Ratner is vindicated. 

Casting Chris Tucker in his movies wasn't enough? :sparta:

• Haha 1

Just now, Sam said:

Origins is comedy gold.

You whip out a couple of swords at you ex-girlfriend's wedding, they will never, ever forget it.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

It is, if you like getting stabbed in the eyes.

I've gone from defending this movie as in "wait until it's out! It can't be that bad!" to deciding on not even going to see it myself.

I did not want to believe they would truly, really, phone this in so badly.

So this is what the FOX X-Men will be remembered forgotten by...

This and GoT is starting to make me dislike Sophie Turner, and it's not even her fault.

• Haha 1
  • Not Cool 1