kayumanggi

X-MEN: DARK PHOENIX | June 7 2019 | Fox | Simon Kinberg to direct | Delayed to June

Glad to see the dreadful Fox X-men franchise having the ending it deserves.

1 hour ago, Thrylos 7 said:

Now comes the true X-Men films that will rival avengers in box office grosses and present us with some epic adventures instead of the shitfests that Fox gave us. Fox managed to fuck up the dark Phoenix story twice, congrats, but they gave us a spaghetti western-style R-Rated wolverine film, so edgy....

Logan is better than 95% of CBMs

Just now, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Even it is that doesn't change the fact that Fox mostly messed up their main X men films 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Even it is that doesn't change the fact that Fox mostly messed up their main X men films 

True. For every great X-Men movie (X2, DOFP, FC, Logan, X1) they make, they make a really bad one (Apocalypse, Dark Phoenix, The Last Stand, Origins). I would say half seems more accurate.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord

Posted (edited)

Now comes the true X-Men films that will rival avengers in box office grosses and present us with some epic adventures instead of the shitfests that Fox gave us.

Enjoy your generic and soulless 2 hour vfx clips directed by Artifical Intelligence.

Edited by Firepower
  • Thanks 1
  • Not Cool 1

I saw Dark Phoenix today (in LiMAX) and, given the poor reviews and low box office expectations in the media, was very pleasantly surprised. The movie is fast-paced, easy to understand, treats its characters with respect, and has some great action and SFX sequences. Macavoy is fine as Xavier, Fassbender suitable as a young Ian Mckellen (LOL),  and we get Chastain, Lawrence, and Turner in various roles. Sophie in particular shines as the star character, she is gorgeous and her face easily withstands the numerous tight closeups. The IMAX sound system was very well employed.

I enjoyed this film way more than I liked Aquaman or Godzilla. Not quite up there with Captain Marvel, but not far from it either. And it doesn't overstay its welcome.

My verdict is ignore the Rotten Tomatoes critics and other naysayers who want whine about all the ways it deviates from or isn't as good as this or that X-men movie of the past 20 years, and go see it. It's worth it.

703/1000  

• Like 2

Review

Look. This movie is boring. There’s no “it’s so bad it’s good” element. There’s no “holy hell how was this made” element like Fant4stic. There’s no meme potential. There’s nothing. It’s boring. It’s just so very boring. Stay the fuck at home. Watch it on TV.

It was always gonna end up like this. 20 years ago when these films came out the agenda was different. There were no cinematic universes. There were no endless slew of spinoffs. You got a 3 film trilogy and that was that. The original films were crafted with that thinking. The original films used Wolverine, Prof X, and Magneto as their anchors, their foundation, and that was fine. They built upon the relationship between 2 of the 3 characters in Prequel film “First Class” but the pursuit of Marvel-like expansion proved damn near fatal for the series.

They chose to expand the series on foundation that wasn’t able to support it. Where they should’ve been building the supporting players to the point of lead characters, they took background roles to support the Charles and Eric show. Now when it’s time to focus on a supporting character (that should’ve always been a lead) they’re stumped. Who the fuck cares about Jean Grey? Or Cyclops? Or Storm? Or Nightcrawler? Or Beast? DARK PHOENIX is a movie where a team member disappears halfway through the film and you don’t actually notice until they turn up again at the very end of movie.

The movie feels bombastic (which isn’t helped by Hans Zimmer’s ridiculous score). For reasons unknown to me they’ve now introduced space aliens... imagine you’re watching James Bond and he starts fighting Martians? That’s how random it feels. These movies never had the slightest indication or inclination that there was ever a desire to feature aliens and it shows once they enter Dark Phoenix. They use some of the most generic looking Alien designs you can find on Google, none of the supporting characters seem that fussed space aliens exist, no one makes any reference to them as aliens at all. 

It’s an interesting film, honestly. You could take the second half and attach it to a film series or film where they made you care and like the characters beforehand and you would have a pretty decent movie, but that’s not the reality we live in. Dark Phoenix is a miserable slog to sit through. A pathetic little movie.

I give it a D (a very high Some ol Bullshit).

• Thanks 3

50 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

No. I guess people who have never watched a european genre film might be impressed by it just like they are impressed by Tarantino’s films.

43 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Enjoy your generic and soulless 2 hour vfx clips directed by Artifical Intelligence.

I will and I certainly prefer Artificial Intelligence than shitty Bryan Singer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

No. I guess people who have never watched a european genre film might be impressed by it just like they are impressed by Tarantino’s films.

Not really. It was the first CBM to be nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay.

I'm like the biggest MCU fanboy and Logan is still one of my favorite CBMs. One of the few that makes me tear up.

3 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Not really. It was the first CBM to be nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay.

Which was ridiculous b/c the screenplay is the worst part.  So many dumb character choices which exist only to move plot and so much slash stab slash repetitious action.  The acting by Jackman & Stewart and the tone/visuals were the stand outs.

9 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Which was ridiculous b/c the screenplay is the worst part

No? It's a pretty tight film, but still let its scenes breathe, which seems to be getting rarer and rarer for superhero films

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Which was ridiculous b/c the screenplay is the worst part.  So many dumb character choices which exist only to move plot and so much slash stab slash repetitious action.  The acting by Jackman & Stewart and the tone/visuals were the stand outs.

Which were the character choices that you're referring to?

2 hours ago, ddddeeee said:

A lot of Zimmer's score is dull droning, but some of it is a complete 90s Zimmer resurrection, and that's always a blast. At its most melodramatic it's almost Broken Arrow levels of ham. Fun.

I still think Zimmer's single best score is "GLadiator". I love the way he goes full scale Wagner when we first see the Collesiium....

Posted (edited)

Glad to see the dreadful Fox X-men franchise having the ending it deserves.

I guess this helps to restore the balance; an over the top MCU fanboy who hate the Fox X men to balance the over the top Fox X Men fanboys who hate the MCU......

But..sorry, but "Logan" is as good as anything the MCU has done.

And "X Men 2" and DOFP are not too far behind, and X Men 1 and First CLass are a lot better then some of Marvel Studio's weaker offereing like "IM3 and "Thor 2".

Edited by dudalb

3 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I still think Zimmer's single best score is "GLadiator". I love the way he goes full scale Wagner when we first see the Collesiium....

Gladiator and Inception are his two Mona Lisas.

I love Logan but its pretty funny how it does share a decent amount of similarities plot wise to X-Men: Origins.

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, TMP said:

No? It's a pretty tight film, but still let its scenes breathe, which seems to be getting rarer and rarer for superhero films

I found it dragged, there wasn't enough substance in the material for those slower scenes - the actors did the heavy lifting.   Road movies tend toward the episodic but there wasn't a lot momentum as it was also weighed down by repetitive action scenes.

Story wise- Logan makes a mistake he already made in Origins which results in a slaughtered family.   His not killing the villain initially and sending Caliban off to get rid of him - after he'd butchered everyone else only happens because the villain needs to live and torture and use Caliban.  

For all the leaning in they do on the daddy/daughter matched slicers thing the girl has more meaningful moments with Xavier.  Then for all the moving stuff between Logan and Xavier they undercut Xavier's death by having it come right on the heels of an innocent slaughtered family - which they both lead to their deaths - by a Clone Logan no less.  The end scene makes no sense as all the children wait there to be rounded up and or slaughtered instead of having most go across earlier.  Then they don't use their powers effectively until the last moment so Logan has to fight his Clone to the death to save them.  Then he croaks for some more emotional manipulation with a (creepy) child when he was already dying as if they wasn't enough.

Edited by TalismanRing