kayumanggi

X-MEN: DARK PHOENIX | June 7 2019 | Fox | Simon Kinberg to direct | Delayed to June

There isn’t a better score with Zimmer’s name on it than Pirates 3. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, AJG said:

Review

Look. This movie is boring. There’s no “it’s so bad it’s good” element. There’s no “holy hell how was this made” element like Fant4stic. There’s no meme potential. There’s nothing. It’s boring. It’s just so very boring. Stay the fuck at home. Watch it on TV.

It was always gonna end up like this. 20 years ago when these films came out the agenda was different. There were no cinematic universes. There were no endless slew of spinoffs. You got a 3 film trilogy and that was that. The original films were crafted with that thinking. The original films used Wolverine, Prof X, and Magneto as their anchors, their foundation, and that was fine. They built upon the relationship between 2 of the 3 characters in Prequel film “First Class” but the pursuit of Marvel-like expansion proved damn near fatal for the series.

They chose to expand the series on foundation that wasn’t able to support it. Where they should’ve been building the supporting players to the point of lead characters, they took background roles to support the Charles and Eric show. Now when it’s time to focus on a supporting character (that should’ve always been a lead) they’re stumped. Who the fuck cares about Jean Grey? Or Cyclops? Or Storm? Or Nightcrawler? Or Beast? DARK PHOENIX is a movie where a team member disappears halfway through the film and you don’t actually notice until they turn up again at the very end of movie.

The movie feels bombastic (which isn’t helped by Hans Zimmer’s ridiculous score). For reasons unknown to me they’ve now introduced space aliens... imagine you’re watching James Bond and he starts fighting Martians? That’s how random it feels. These movies never had the slightest indication or inclination that there was ever a desire to feature aliens and it shows once they enter Dark Phoenix. They use some of the most generic looking Alien designs you can find on Google, none of the supporting characters seem that fussed space aliens exist, no one makes any reference to them as aliens at all. 

It’s an interesting film, honestly. You could take the second half and attach it to a film series or film where they made you care and like the characters beforehand and you would have a pretty decent movie, but that’s not the reality we live in. Dark Phoenix is a miserable slog to sit through. A pathetic little movie.

I give it a D (a very high Some ol Bullshit).

Ouch. Boring is the worst thing you can call any movie.

But I don't quite get what you mean when you say nobody cares about Jean , or Cylcops, or the Beast. Do you mean there are inherently bad charecters or there are just badly used in the Franchise? if the first I strongly disagree, if the second I agree.

As much as I  liked Jackman,Stewart and McKellan , I agree the concentration on their charecters  was long term not good for the franchise. Too often it became "Wolverine and friends". Kitty Pryde and The Beast are two  of my favorites, and they got shafted. And Kelsey Grammer's voice was PERFECT for Hank.

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

Ouch. Boring is the worst thing you can call any movie.

But I don't quite get what you mean when you say nobody cares about Jean , or Cylcops, or the Beast. Do you mean there are inherently bad charecters or there are just badly used in the Franchise? if the first I strongly disagree, if the second I agree.

As much as I  liked Jackman,Stewart and McKellan , I agree the concentration on their charecters  was long term not good for the franchise. Too often it became "Wolverine and friends". Kitty Pryde and The Beast are two  of my favorites, and they got shafted. And Kelsey Grammer's voice was PERFECT for Hank.

They were badly used in the franchise.

However some of the Jean Grey and Cyclops problems go right back to the comics. Jean Grey is a wishy washy character with no personality. The recent comics I’ve seen have tried to undo all that. Cyclops got drawn into the endless void of pining over Jean Grey, which on top of being the stiff upper lip leader, has made the character one of Marvel dullest

8 minutes ago, Goffe said:

Agreed. That one is just masterful.

What a shame. I’m gonna watch this movie on Sunday which is pretty weird for me considering I’ve seen almost all of them either on Thursday previews or opening day... I hope my expectations are low enough for me to at least not hate it. 

I love how people are so dense with their gritty CBM movies.

Serious business and way better than anything else bruh.

12 minutes ago, Menor said:

Agreed. That one is just masterful.

That, Gladiator and Inception are my favorite Zimmer scores.

• Like 1

The ability of Zimmer to create moods with so few notes is just unique.

13 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

The ability of Zimmer to create moods with so few notes is just unique.

Which is irritating when he’s frequently accused of going overly bombastic most of the time.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Goffe said:

Funny you misspelled Lion King 😛

I am always surprised to sea in the credits things like 

additional music by : 2 names I forgot.

Zimmer seems to be the only one to do things like this, he gets the main credit but some of his groomed zombies wrote cues for him ...

So weird.

he has been doing this for so long i think and he never gets a bad reputation for it.

17 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

I am always surprised to sea in the credits things like 

additional music by : 2 names I forgot.

Zimmer seems to be the only one to do things like this, he gets the main credit but some of his groomed zombies wrote cues for him ...

So weird.

he has been doing this for so long i think and he never gets a bad reputation for it.

Cues?

He's the James Patterson of film scores

1 hour ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

The best thing that can be said about Dark Phoenix is that it's only an hour and forty-five minutes long.

Now that’s just stupid. There’s obviously better things then that, it’s a decent movie with a great score, some great action sequences but a forgettable villain. People just hating for the sake of hating saying it was like the worst movie ever, it’s a solid 6.5/10, not awful but not going to leave you speechless by the end of it.

13 minutes ago, VENOM said:

Now that’s just stupid. There’s obviously better things then that, it’s a decent movie with a great score, some great action sequences but a forgettable villain. People just hating for the sake of hating saying it was like the worst movie ever, it’s a solid 6.5/10, not awful but not going to leave you speechless by the end of it.

Counterpoint: the film is trash, the score is trash, the villain is trash, and the action is unremarkable.

Posted (edited)

I still don't understand who these alien people are and who is this creepy woman leader. Why do they act so emotionless? Are they some sort of Kree civilization that thinks holding emotions makes you stronger or something. Are they Independence Day Aliens or something that are like pests with a firey nuke?

Edited by ScoobyDoo21

1 minute ago, AJG said:

Counterpoint: the film is trash, the score is trash, the villain is trash, and the action is unremarkable.

And your review is trash

• Not Cool 1

9 minutes ago, ScoobyDoo21 said:

I still don't understand who these alien people are and who is this creepy woman leader. Why do they act so emotionless?

Wait - Brie Larson is in this??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Not Cool 2

1 minute ago, ScoobyDoo21 said:

I still don't understand who these alien people are and who is this creepy woman leader. Why do they act so emotionless.

Im guessing they were meant to be Skrulls but Fox found an issue with their claim to those characters and very quickly swapped them out for the generic aliens we get here.

They are d’bari. A race of Marvel aliens that... just exist in Marvel comics. Why they are the lead villains of a $200m movie is a question for someone else.

• Like 1