kayumanggi

X-MEN: DARK PHOENIX | June 7 2019 | Fox | Simon Kinberg to direct | Delayed to June

1 hour ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Yes, because they media always goes easier on Women. What kind of fantasy land do you live in?

A producer saying that she wasn't involved is not as big a deal as a director throwing his own movie under the bus opening weekend. So no it will not get as much coverage as that and rightfully so.

But she threw one of her ex-producing partners and a yet to be released movie under the bus. 

Like i said, PC folks defending her. Hollywood double standards.

Posted (edited)

The X-men series has had some great films (X2, DOFP). Dark Phoenix was just a misfire. And I think the main reason is the director. I understand that they had to redo the entire 3rd act due to the merger. That was stupid; Disney had more than enough money just to leave it be. That said, the script wasn't great, but the concept was good. But I have never seen a film neuter itself like this. It was bizarre. Kinberg found a way to drain the emotion out of every scene. People that claim the actors "phoned it in" are just wrong. The cast was great, even Turner (she looks like a movie star and she can act). What phoned it in was the movie through its director. When a scene called for real emotion, he muted it. What should have been anger became mild irritation. What should have been a climactic battle or a riveting scene was just ho hum. And then he kept cutting away from the speaker to show the person being spoken to. That was a really bad technique because it took away any drama from the dialogue. Look I understand that the cast could not work with Singer for multiple reasons and that they were loyal to Kinberg. But you do not entrust this type of film to an untried director with no hint of directorial talent. It was not a bad film or an embarrassing film. Just a film that was going to frustrate its audience by being incredibly bland and just there. Don't know how else to describe it. The end.      

Edited by straggler
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

But she threw one of her ex-producing partners and a yet to be released movie under the bus. 

Like i said, PC folks defending her. Hollywood double standards.

Nobody is defending her, people just don't care. Most people who run Hollywood are white males and the people who get away with the most are white males. That's a stone cold fact. Josh Trank blew up his own career but will still get more chances than a woman or minority. 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Nobody is defending her, people just don't care. Most people who run Hollywood are white males and the people who get away with the most are white males. That's a stone cold fact. Josh Trank blew up his own career but will still get more chances than a woman or minority. 

Donner said a really stupid thing, but the idea that the media is letting up on her is silly.

And don't run the White Males are so discriminated aginast bullshit by me.

• Like 3
  • Not Cool 1

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

idk, i thought this was pretty good.

So you've finally revealed yourself as a Fox-Men Fanatic...

Sad but not shocking.

• Not Cool 1

3 minutes ago, AJG said:

So you've finally revealed yourself as a Fox-Men Fanatic...

Sad but not shocking.

you know it. I went in my beast cosplay. but to honour nicolas hoult's portrayal of the character across his four films i spent only about 15% of the movie wearing it before switching to regular clothes.

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

I remember Donner doing interviews for Apocalypse and commenting on Dark Phoenix and New Mutants several times do the idea she has “nothing to do with it” is BS

11 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

you know it. I went in my beast cosplay. but to honour nicolas hoult's portrayal of the character across his four films i spent only about 15% of the movie wearing it before switching to regular clothes.

This reminds me, Nic Hoult auditioned for Jon Snow and lost lol

The "what went Wrong" article is here and its delicious. 

Our sources tell us that testing Dark Phoenix was a continual headache, and the feature adaptation of Chris Claremont, John Byrne, David Cockrum’s fan beloved Dark Phoenix Saga comic was hard to get right. We heard that in one cut, Jean Grey dies, which wasn’t received well. But overall the major ending change-up, executed in reshoots entailed going from an intimate ending with Jean Grey (Sophie Turner), Tye Sheridan (Cyclops), and Charles Xavier (James McAvoy) against Jessica Chastain’s Vuk. The feeling from the audience in testing was that they wanted to see all the X-Men heroes fighting in the end. 

. I understand in meetings, some marketing execs didn’t even realize the release date changes on Dark Phoenix, and weren’t cognizant of the fact that the film was opening up against another franchise this weekend (i.e. Secret Life of Pets 2). 

https://deadline.com/2019/06/dark-phoenix-bombs-at-the-box-office-reasons-why-1202629749/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Menor said:

Honestly this could've been so much better if it was two movies.

Or zero :ph34r:     

But yeah, the most critical issues are that people didn't have an investment in these versions of the characters yet (esp Jean) and they had to rush so much to hit the plot beats they wanted that characterization just went out the window.

2 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

But yeah, the most critical issues are that people didn't have an investment in these versions of the characters yet (esp Jean) and they had to rush so much to hit the plot beats they wanted that characterization just went out the window.

Yeah I don't understand when they're told it's only going to be one movie...why do they even consider still doing Dark Phoenix at that point? Why not try doing something else? It's beyond obvious that this story was unworkable given the point the franchise was at.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Menor said:

Yeah I don't understand when they're told it's only going to be one movie...why do they even consider still doing Dark Phoenix at that point? Why not try doing something else? It's beyond obvious that this story was unworkable given the point the franchise was at.

Maybe they should have just made it 3 hours. Easy 800M

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Menor said:

Kinberg was gonna prove his doubters wrong by making a good dark phoenix movie after the last stand failed to please fans.

3 hours ago, straggler said:

The X-men series has had some great films (X2, DOFP). Dark Phoenix was just a misfire. And I think the main reason is the director. I understand that they had to redo the entire 3rd act due to the merger. That was stupid; Disney had more than enough money just to leave it be. That said, the script wasn't great, but the concept was good. But I have never seen a film neuter itself like this. It was bizarre. Kinberg found a way to drain the emotion out of every scene. People that claim the actors "phoned it in" are just wrong. The cast was great, even Turner (she looks like a movie star and she can act). What phoned it in was the movie through its director. When a scene called for real emotion, he muted it. What should have been anger became mild irritation. What should have been a climactic battle or a riveting scene was just ho hum. And then he kept cutting away from the speaker to show the person being spoken to. That was a really bad technique because it took away any drama from the dialogue. Look I understand that the cast could not work with Singer for multiple reasons and that they were loyal to Kinberg. But you do not entrust this type of film to an untried director with no hint of directorial talent. It was not a bad film or an embarrassing film. Just a film that was going to frustrate its audience by being incredibly bland and just there. Don't know how else to describe it. The end.      

That's not why they redid the 3rd act.  That was done before the merger was ever completed.   Disney had no say in the film.  Legally it would have jeopardized a $70B deal.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Maybe they could have actually done some solid character work with Jean and the other new X-Men in Apocalypse.   But they didn't and then decided to make a film that was dependent on the audience caring about these characters and relationships that primarily existed in between the needless (and WTF they're still not aging)  time jumps.

• Like 1

I wish Singer had directed all of the XMen films to be honest (Apocalypse notwithstanding)

Just saw this, it was alright, not great, not a trainwreck like fantastic four like some made it out to be, got a little emotional at the end. Could have been great with a better director. 

• Like 2