kayumanggi

X-MEN: DARK PHOENIX | June 7 2019 | Fox | Simon Kinberg to direct | Delayed to June

14 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Maybe they could have actually done some solid character work with Jean and the other new X-Men in Apocalypse.   But they didn't and then decided to make a film that was dependent on the audience caring about these characters and relationships that primarily existed in between the needless (and WTF they're still not aging)  time jumps.

The part that really stood out to me was when Charles turns to Storm and says “you stay here, I’ve lost enough people I care about”. Even though we’d seen no evidence of a friendly relationship between the two up to that point in this current timeline.

• Like 1

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/we-were-wrong-behind-dark-phoenix-foxs-dismal-x-men-franchise-finale-plans-1216859

What Lessons They Took From Apocalypse

Insiders tell The Hollywood Reporter that in a series of postmortem meetings on Apocalypse, execs came away thinking that the movie's failure had been due to an excessive amount of explosions and scale, not due to franchise fatigue generally. "There was a misguided feeling that [Apocalypse] was an anomaly, that we just got it wrong," says one Fox insider familiar with those meetings. "We were wrong."

Why Kinberg was hired to direct

Kinberg co-wrote Last Stand and resurfaced years later as a producer on 2011's X-Men: First Class, which rebooted the series with a new cast and new time period. Kinberg became an architect of the franchise but was not a director. However, he stepped behind the camera, to a lesser extent on Future Past, greater on Apocalypse, when director Bryan Singer would not show up on set, according to several sources. Kinberg's work on Apocalypse won over the franchise's A-list stars, whose three-film deals were up with that movie. The entire group decided to re-up for one last outing. 

Reshoots

Shooting began at the end of June 2017 and wrapped in October of that year. But during postproduction, Kinberg and Fox realized reshoots would be needed. Due to a cast that included in-demand actors such as Jennifer Lawrence, James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Jessica Chastain and Nicholas Hoult, the reshoots didn’t occur until  October 2018. What followed, according to several sources, was two weeks of principal shooting and three weeks of second unit, happening concurrently.

Why Dark Phoenix moved from February 2019 to June 2019

However, insiders tell THR that the move was to placate James Cameron, Fox’s most important filmmaker, and his concerns for his movie, Alita: Battle Angel. According to one source, Cameron felt Alita would lose horribly when facing a December opening weekend that included Aquaman and Bumblebee, with Mary Poppins Returns opening up two days earlier. He wanted his expensive movie shifted. Stacey Snider, according to this source, obliged, giving Alita the February date and moving Dark Phoenix to June. “Emma, Hutch and Simon begged her not do it,” says this source.

Part of the reasoning was that Dark Phoenix was not designed to be a summer movie, says the Fox insider. In some ways, it was designed to be an anti-Apocalypse, to have less spectacle and scale. Big for off-season, too small for summer, says this person.

Marketing Concerns

At the time, preparations for the Disney-Fox acquisition were in full swing. Marketing and publicity and distribution execs were either being forced out or had one eye on the door. “The campaign was muddled,” says a former Fox executive. “Was this the final X-Men movie? Was it about a character going back? This movie just got lost.” 

An NRG tracking poll taken in May showed that Avengers: Endgame, Marvel Studios' rival superhero franchise, was rated higher than Dark Phoenix as a choice for moviegoers — and that’s after Endgame had been playing in theaters for five weeks already. “Definite awareness never got a score over 75 on tracking,” says one insider. “An X-Men movie had never been below 90.”

“When definite awareness of Rocketman is higher than an X-Men movie, you know you’re in strange territory,” says another insider.

Lauren Shuler Donner's Lack of Involement

Fox insiders say this is true, noting that Donner additionally did not have anything to do with the successful Logan and Deadpool and Deadpool 2, either, on which she received producer credit, thanks to generous contract terms. Donner, according to Fox insiders, has not been involved with the X-movies since leaving under a cloud of “creative differences” during the making of Future Past.

Meanwhile, one former Fox executive notes, “If the merger didn’t happen, some of these people would be worried about their jobs. If the merger didn’t happen, people would be clamoring for Fox to do what Sony did with Spider-Man and ask for Marvel’s help.”

• Thanks 1

James Cameron managed to sink a Marvel franchise.

@IronJimbo, I understand why you stan.

Screw the haterade on this. Solidly entertaining - Grade: B

Plot works well, easy to follow.

Action scenes are great, especially that last one on the train.

The acting isn't an issue. Some of the best lines go to Erik/Magneto.

I'd really like to see, out of curiosity now, the original more space set finale.

The only "problem" with this movie...isn't this movie really. 

1 hour ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/we-were-wrong-behind-dark-phoenix-foxs-dismal-x-men-franchise-finale-plans-1216859

What Lessons They Took From Apocalypse

Why Kinberg was hired to direct

Reshoots

Why Dark Phoenix moved from February 2019 to June 2019

Marketing Concerns

Lauren Shuler Donner's Lack of Involement

lol at James Cameron having both the amazing power and foresight (February ended up working out better for Alita than if it had opened around Christmas) but I think the biggest takeaway from this is that they had problems with Singer while making both Days of Future Past and Apocalypse before they still gave him Bohemian Rhapsody anyway (even if it ended up being the straw that broke their backs and finally made them say enough since his offices at Fox were shut down following his firing from the movie). Dude really is the Michael Myers of directors, isn't he?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, AJG said:

vEzXvF0.jpg

Snap!

He's just getting started my man.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Not Cool 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, AJG said:

Cameron managed to sink the Marvel franchise that needed to be sinked. It will be completely rebooted in a few years anyway and will be integrated to the most successful movie franchise.

Edited by UserHN

The X-Men franchise was already sinking long before Cameron's iceberg came along.

It's funny, but obviously Dark Phoenix had a lot more problems than just that release date change.

also, that was a really solid article from HollywoodReporter, lots of great behind the scenes stuff, I wish we got more articles like that

LOL, DP was going to sink in any month. it had nothing going for it. DOFP was the peak (wolverine, much more popular older versions of current characters) and the rest was going to go down no matter what.

one hilarious part of that article when it says they thought Apocalypse failed because it was too large scale or something so making Dark Phoenix smaller scale was the solution. It's like they are unaware the MCU exists

• Like 3

After Apocalypse, they needed a pretty massive course change, something on the level of Dark World to Ragnarok. That probably would've meant way less Kinberg, but Fox went the opposite direction instead.

• Like 1

It's so weird that McAvoy pretty much plays a fully formed Professor X in this but he still looks so young. Looks like he's doing Prof. X cosplay or something.

21 hours ago, Thanos Legion said:

Or zero :ph34r:     

But yeah, the most critical issues are that people didn't have an investment in these versions of the characters yet (esp Jean) and they had to rush so much to hit the plot beats they wanted that characterization just went out the window.

Same mistake that DC made with going  with "The Death Of Superman " storyline so early in the DCU. People had not had time to become emotinaly invested with that version of Superman (which was flawed anyway,but even it had been better written the audience still did not have time to become emotionally involved).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Same mistake that DC made with going  with "The Death Of Superman " storyline so early in the DCU. People had not had time to become emotinaly invested with that version of Superman (which was flawed anyway,but even it had been better written the audience still did not have time to become emotionally involved).

DC's biggest mistake in regards to the Death of Superman was following it up with a Justice League film designed to not feature Superman. Not sure how that ever got approved in the first place.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

I am shocked, absolutely shocked I tell you, that Fox studio executives were out-of-touch with audiences.

Not the first time. Fant4stic anyone? 

When they realize the folly they try to pin the blame on someone. Can't pin on Kinberg cuz he is a good friend and powerful producer. If this was directed by some up and coming director, you bet he would be getting all the flak and stuff written against him to damage his reputation in order to save their skins.

Can't wait for next year's Josh Boone articles. Then again fox is now merged so I guess less will be revealed.

42 minutes ago, I Am said:

The X-Men franchise was already sinking long before Cameron's iceberg came along.

I doubt the date change was that important, if the film had been the same it would have bombed any date it opened in.

37 minutes ago, kitik said:

also, that was a really solid article from HollywoodReporter, lots of great behind the scenes stuff, I wish we got more articles like that

Problem is a lot of that article might be questionable. I don't think Cameron is quite that powerful.