kayumanggi

X-MEN: DARK PHOENIX | June 7 2019 | Fox | Simon Kinberg to direct | Delayed to June

And some people never learn. Some of the same people who were stanning for this movie even after it became clear it was in big trouble are now telling us how Disney is going to spend tens of millions of dollars for rehoots on "The New Mutants" blithely ignoring that from all accounts TNM is a much bigger mess then DP was before reshoots. I doubt Disney is in the mood to spend  big money on TNM after what happened with DP.

• Like 1

Bob iger said on conference call with investors. 

This movie lost disney 130 million. Yoikes 

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

When you buy a company, you get the liabilities along with the assets.

Dark Phoenix was definently one of the liabilities Disney got when it acquired Fox...

• Not Cool 1

That's the end of the current X-Men universe...

1 hour ago, Minnale101 said:

Bob iger said on conference call with investors. 

This movie lost disney 130 million. Yoikes 

Fucking hell.

46 minutes ago, SLAM! said:

That's the end of the current X-Men universe...

Pretty much. You still have the New Mutants but that will be dumped with as little money spent as possible if it ever gets a threatrical release.

It has sat on the shelf for over two years; Fox thought it was an total mess and apparently Disney management agrees.

3 minutes ago, AJG said:

Fucking hell.

Although it was just one of many reasons, DP bombing probably played a role in Disney missing it's earning expectations today and having a bad day on Wall Street as a result.

Wait, exactly how much money did Disney spend on this movie? The movie was already well into post production when the merger was complete. I know Disney obviously spent money on marketing, but the marketing for this movie wasn’t exactly anything special. 

14 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Wait, exactly how much money did Disney spend on this movie? The movie was already well into post production when the merger was complete. I know Disney obviously spent money on marketing, but the marketing for this movie wasn’t exactly anything special. 

Final cost of Dark Phoenix was in the 200 Million dollar range with the massive reshoots.

Disney had a midrange amount of marketing on this movie. I think they knew it was a badly flawed product, but thought the popularity of the X Men franchise made it worthwhile to gamble a little on the marketing. But they did not give it the kind of push Disney does when they have a product they are confident in.

The New Mutants will not get the benefit of the doubt. If it gets a theatrical release at all, it will be dumped;as little spent as possible on it.

If anyone thought New Mutants was still getting those reshoots.. lol 

8 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

If anyone thought New Mutants was still getting those reshoots.. lol 

I think Disney has already decided not to spend a dime on NM reshoots, but this will just confirm that.

I wonder where the guy who insists that Feige is going to spends tens of millions on reshoots and use NM to introduce Mutants to the MCU is.....

• Not Cool 1

Dark Phoenix was a huge flop, but I bet Disney was planning to wipe Fox's slate anyway. They just found a good excuse.

4 minutes ago, stealthyfrog said:

Dark Phoenix was a huge flop, but I bet Disney was planning to wipe Fox's slate anyway. They just found a good excuse.

An Xmen sequel being the film that killed cinema is something I would’ve never seen coming five years ago.

32 minutes ago, stealthyfrog said:

I don't know, I think Disney did an act of mercy in putting the Gambit film out of it's misery...

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, dudalb said:

Final cost of Dark Phoenix was in the 200 Million dollar range with the massive reshoots.

Disney had a midrange amount of marketing on this movie. I think they knew it was a badly flawed product, but thought the popularity of the X Men franchise made it worthwhile to gamble a little on the marketing. But they did not give it the kind of push Disney does when they have a product they are confident in.

The New Mutants will not get the benefit of the doubt. If it gets a theatrical release at all, it will be dumped;as little spent as possible on it.

The $130m I believe includes the $200m budget so as huge as it bombed releasing it saved them $70m or rather loss then $70m less.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

All this talk is reminding me that they showed the New Mutants trailer before the first screening for Endgame here in IMAX, but on subsequent showings there I never saw it again even though they're generally the same during a movie's run every time. I didn't really get a look at it since I was on my phone but it's strange it was there to start with. 

Posted (edited)

It's kinda sad really, one of the earliest films, setting up various comic book movie tropes, dying like this.

Should have ended it with Days of Future Past and Logan. 

Edited by Yandereprime101189
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

From CNBC:

‘Dark Phoenix’ dragged down Disney’s box office earnings despite ‘Avengers’ success

“Avengers: Endgame” may have become the highest-grossing film of all time, but Earth’s mightiest heroes weren’t able to boost Disney’s studio earnings above analyst estimates in the third quarter.

In fact, “Dark Phoenix,” a film obtained by Disney during the 20th Century Fox acquisition earlier this year, was the true villain of the quarter.

Edited by justvision

Ouch. So Disney have the biggest bomb of the year then?