JJ-8

FANTASY BOX OFFICE - 2017 Discussion Thread | Grey Ghost Wins!

Our next award is similar in many ways to the ROI award except it's all about how many $ you earnt for the % spent.  Were you wise with the amount of % you spent.  It's the Best Investor Award.

the Nominees are (i'm not listing the investments this time as it's about the $ moreso against %.

@chasmmi

@Exxdee

JJ-8 (Me)

@Simionski

and so the score is as follows:

I came in 4th with a $ earnt per % spent of 1.38m

Spoiler

Simionski slipped into 3rd with 1.43m

Spoiler

Exxdee managed 1.47m which wasn't good enough because

Chasmmi pulled in 1.54m per % invested.... over 35 investments... fantastic result.  of note, Chasmmi did this with nearly 2000% invested.

• Like 2

Right, quick review of Q2 :

Q2 saw some large weekends especially during May/June however not as big as the before mentioned BATB weekend which was a monster at nearly 650m.  

After leading the first 3 months of the year, simionski battle to just stay in the top 3.  April would goto Grey Ghost, Chasmmi stole a weak by normal standards May, while I headed up June.  By midyear we had 6 players already over 1B in revenue which is impressive.

• Like 2

Right moving along, headlong into the next award called the Company Value Award.  Very simply it's how much you have in the bank at the end of the game.

No fuss, no mess, here are the nominees:

@chasmmi

@Exxdee

JJ-8 (me)

@grey ghost

@Simionski

And the winner is....

To avoid giving any cluses away as who might be leading revenue, i'm only announcing the winner but I should note, that the top 2 were only 6m apart.

Spoiler

Simionski wins it from Grey Ghost.

• Like 2

So a quick summary of Q3.....

July did start very strongly, but then the remainder of the summer kinda dried up a bit with nothing else that massive. in fact the 2nd biggest weekend of the quarter was in September and it was a doosey.  still nothing had matched the massive weekend earlier driven by BATB.  July / August was Grey Ghosts time to shine with MCMkillswitch123 taking out September.

• Like 1

That leaves us with 3 awards and yes it's getting close.....

The next Award is the Weekend Award is quite simply the highest weekend gross of the year..... 

The nominees are :

@Exxdee and @Simionski were nominated from Q1

no nominees from Q2 or Q3 with no qualifying weekends.

From Q4

I got Nominated twice (JJ-8) and @grey ghost also got nominated three times and @chasmmi

got a single nomination.

And the winner is... and I'm afraid it was pretty much and dust too... in fact all 3 nominees from the same weekend were the top 3 results.... I'm talking about the star wars weekend.....

Spoiler

and I (JJ-8) won this award.  nearly 200m weekend.  and the only weekend where it got this close.

As I mentioned, Grey Ghost and Chasmmi were right behind me on the same weekend.  the other biggest weekend was back in Q1 on the back of BATB where Exxdee led.

• Like 2

And a final summary of Q4,

not much to say here but Thor dominated early and made a tidy return.  Justice league lost their investors some money and finally the next star wars instalment while baffling made money back for those who invested.  very tidy sums I should say.  the most impressive result belonged to Jumanji which got past 400m on a 90m budget.  and yes I know it's still making $ but the impact is minimal at this point.

• Like 2

ok... Revenue Award... Many players consider this to be the whole reason we play the game... but  the geekfreek award is a bit more than just how much you earn!

so here are the nominees for the Revenue Award

@Exxdee 

@chasmmi

JJ-8 (me again :P )

@grey ghost

@Simionski

and here we go....

Spoiler

Exxdee was making a strong case to amongst it at the end and even then he is still figuring in the charts here, but he essentially stopped playing in early November with his final investment being in the star / wonder / justice league on which all opened on the 17th November.  What might have been if he had played on.   Still investments in BATB, GOTG2, Wonder Woman, It and some smaller successes such as Jigssaw and Girls Trip which saw tidy returns.  there were some negatives like Justice League, Fast 8 (did that really lose money ?), GITS.

He made 2.278B revenue from the 2017 game.

Spoiler

Chasmmi also made a good case pushing right to the end though. Still he ultimately fell short with just over 3B in the game.  Many smart choices like above.  in Addition he good chunks of Star Wars, jumanji too

• Like 1

still revealing ..... 

Spoiler

Simionski once again is figure at the pointy end, but this time he slipped off the back into 3rd. with 3.704B  I'm not going into the investments anymore as many of the above have already been mentioned.  it's just a matter of which chunks of the pie you took as to where you land.

so then there was 2 :

Spoiler

JJ-8 (me) and Grey Ghost

We both many good choices but in the end I think Grey Ghost got the better of me and I always tend to overspend in the game too...

I managed 3.982B ~ one of my bestinfishes...

But ...

Grey Ghost managed 4.333B 

CONGRATULATIONS!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So it comes down to this... the Geekfreek award:

The Overall winner and the Nominees are:

@chasmmi

@Exxdee

JJ-8 (me)

@grey ghost

@Simionski

the 5th place getter, managed 2nd on the best investor, 4th on ROI, 5th on the company Value, and finally 5th in revenue.  I am talking about ...

Spoiler

Exxdee - congratulations, if you had played longer you would have figured higher

the 4th spot, won the best investor, had a shocker on ROI with 8th spot, 4th biggest company value and landed in 4th for revenue ... it's

Spoiler

chasmmi!  nice work

• Like 2

now for the top 3......

3rd : landed 5th on ROI, 4th on Best investor, 3rd biggest company value, 2nd highest revenue earner...

Spoiler

I landed in third overall this year

so it comes down to 2 players, and not much separated them in many charts....

Simionski managed to only win the company value this year, placing 3rd in Best investor and 2nd in ROI

Grey Ghost on the other hand managed to win the revenue and ROI awards, landed in 5th for best investor, 2nd in company value (just fell short)

And the winner is .......

Spoiler

Grey Ghost Wins!  pipping Simionski our winner from 2016....... CONGRATULATIONS!

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

Damn this game has me sweating bullets sometimes.

Easily one of most challenging (and yet satisfying) box office games.

I can't believe how close some of these awards were. I could've easily lost this year.

Thanks, to the other players for pushing me to my limits. I had to make so many adjustments and rethink my strategy because better players were doing things I never considered. :P

Thanks to @JJ-8 for running this incredible game. I hope it can survive the current and strange lack of interest.

And also playing against @Simionski, is like playing against Jordan or Kobe. I see why he's the reigning champ. 

Thanks again, everyone.

• Thanks 1