cannastop

Encanto | November 24, 2021 | Walt Disney Animation Studios | Byron Howard and Jared Bush direct, music by Lin-Manuel Miranda

I know that trailer views don't properly correlate with box office, but I can't be the only one surprised that the official trailer on the WDAS channel already has over 24 million views despite being up for less than three weeks. I don't think Frozen II's September trailer got there that quickly, and none of the September trailers for Moana, Ralph Breaks the Internet or Coco got there before release either (Ralph is still under 10 million, and Coco is under 4 million).

Also, the Japanese poster is out now.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, PNF2187 said:

I know that trailer views don't properly correlate with box office, but I can't be the only one surprised that the official trailer on the WDAS channel already has over 24 million views despite being up for less than three weeks. I don't think Frozen II's September trailer got there that quickly, and none of the September trailers for Moana, Ralph Breaks the Internet or Coco got there before release either (Ralph is still under 10 million, and Coco is under 4 million)

I checked the BO report website and that lists wide releases and there YT views(they also add fandango clips to the total).

Currently (in order of release)

Ron 11M

Clifford 10M

Encanto 32M 

Sing Two  13M 

Very impressive for Encanto in just 2 weeks.

Ghostbusters is at 25M

Matrix 38M

for a frame of reference.

Edited by Ronin46
  • Like 2

On 10/23/2021 at 4:11 AM, Krissykins said:

The lead girl is animated like an old woman. I thought she was until she sat down with the older character. 

This all looks and sounds a bit derivative if I’m being honest. 

She is more like Disney tribute to ugly betty. The lead charcter is not beautiful as one of her sisters and she is not perfect as the rest of her family. Ugly betty is colombian and face the similar problems. 

On 10/23/2021 at 2:11 AM, Krissykins said:

The lead girl is animated like an old woman. I thought she was until she sat down with the older character. 

This all looks and sounds a bit derivative if I’m being honest. 

Mirabel is suppose to be regular looking. This movie is not a romance so I dont know why her looks should matter?

I'm sure little girls will ask their parents to buy the Mirabel dolls and her dress.

Edited by Mojoguy

1 hour ago, Mojoguy said:

Mirabel is suppose to be regular looking. This movie is not a romance so I dont know why her looks should matter?

I'm sure little girls will ask their parents to buy the Mirabel dolls and her dress.

Oh yeh it’s not a romance. But I thought she was the Mother. She looks and is dressed like an older woman, that’s all. 

59 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Oh yeh it’s not a romance. But I thought she was the Mother. She looks and is dressed like an older woman, that’s all. 

Disney has been getting criticized for making their animated female leads too pretty. I guess Disny wanted to try something new.

6 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Hope animated movies can eventually go back to pre-COVID numbers but not expecting any big numbers until Lightyear next year 

I hope Encanto can hit $100m DOM, around Jungle Cruise in terms of family films. That would be a win, especially since it is only in theaters exclusively for 30 days.

Hey at least it WILL be in theaters unlike the last 2 Pixar films.:rolleyes:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lilmac said:

Reminds me of Coco. Could be a damper on box-office prospects given the lack of novelty. 

Not sure in the US, but I see a lot of excitment in latin america. This movie can do well over here and attract disney plus subs in december