cannastop

Encanto | November 24, 2021 | Walt Disney Animation Studios | Byron Howard and Jared Bush direct, music by Lin-Manuel Miranda

1 hour ago, Eric Atreides said:

Review embargo lifts this Wednesday according to Matt Neglia

That's pretty early, a full 3 weeks before release. I know we just saw what happened with Eternals, but I can't imagine Disney lifting the embargo super early is going to backfire on them for the second time this year, let alone in two weeks, so I'm expecting good things to come from this.

Edited by PNF2187

8 hours ago, Morieris said:

It's amazing to see this comes out in less than a month and there's maybe 2 pieces of merchandise on ShopDisney. Supply Chain hurtin' everyone.

Merch is supposed to be due out on November 1st apparently.

Then again, wikipedia isn't the best source of reference. . .

4 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

I hate that this is going to D+ after 30 days which is way too soon, but Disney gotta sell subscriptions.:whosad:

That, Spider-Man, and Sing are probably going to eat into its legs (what with the massive TC drops I'm expecting by the holidays). I was thinking about it this morning, and this might actually end up being the most front-loaded WDAS film of all time.

Not that I'm helping towards the cause, per se. The 30-day window has made me lose any urgency to see this in theatres, and I'm not really in a rush to go back to theatres after Free Guy.

23 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

I hate that this is going to D+ after 30 days which is way too soon, but Disney gotta sell subscriptions.:whosad:

Apparently, the biggest theater chains in Japan could boycott Encanto (which they've done for every day-and-date release from Disney) due to the 30-day theatrical window. Would be such a shame since this had good potential in Japan under normal conditions ($50+ million).

3 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

Apparently, the biggest theater chains in Japan could boycott Encanto (which they've done for every day-and-date release from Disney) due to the 30-day theatrical window. Would be such a shame since this had good potential in Japan under normal conditions ($50+ million).

Why can't they just extend Encanto's theatrical window specifically for Japan alone?

11 minutes ago, Eric loves Ajak said:

Why can't they just extend Encanto's theatrical window specifically for Japan alone?

That would certainly make more financial sense. Presumably, they are ready to take the loss here like all their recent animated films (each of which left a lot of money on the table in Japan) to appease and grow the Disney+ subscriber base.  

First reactions are up!

Edited by PNF2187

Some more:

Edited by PNF2187

1 hour ago, Morieris said:

When does the real embargo break? Interested in the more balanced reactions.

Looks like it's the 15th, probably going to be 9am PST/12pm EST is my guess.

• Like 1